10260 - Downtown Diner

DadsAFOL

9 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

1101885084_download(6).thumb.jpg.77074b999ade10d87e1546ed22ac89c1.jpg

At last, JL sold out. 

4 hours ago, Lobot said:

It's also sold out online at Smyths - total of 179 currently in store (plus a few stragglers!)

Hopefully it won't be too long before all retail stock is cleared out - I think this will do well.

Creator modules always do well after retirement, can see this hitting £200 quickly.

9 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

They don't actually. Pet shop did very poorly initially (only very recently has it gone over £200), and put a lot of people off modulars. Palace Cinema also took a long time to come good (but has now). 

Lowest price for Pet Shop on the bay in Germany is 270€, for Palace Cinema 250€.

Pet Shop gets a lot of hate but here it has almost tripled if you bought for 100€.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Lowest price for Pet Shop on the bay in Germany is 270€, for Palace Cinema 250€.

Pet Shop gets a lot of hate but here it has almost tripled if you bought for 100€.

This quote deserves a reply - I can't resist...

I'd say some of that hate is warranted...

1. Opportunity cost 

2. Expecations not met

3. Storage space limits

4. Puchase price was rarely 100E as most hoarded when the dance started and then TLG extended retirement date

5. Release date 2011...

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=10218-1#T=P

But you are right, 7% CAGR is a nice rate well above TB10Yr !!! (if you don't count all costs 🙂)

Take care

10 minutes ago, ZULU said:

This quote deserves a reply - I can't resist...

I'd say some of that hate is warranted...

1. Opportunity cost 

2. Expecations not met

3. Storage space limits

4. Puchase price was rarely 100E as most hoarded when the dance started and then TLG extended retirement date

5. Release date 2011...

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=10218-1#T=P

But you are right, 7% CAGR is a nice rate well above TB10Yr !!! (if you don't count all costs 🙂)

Take care

Well, the issues you stated are poor buying decisions, bad storage efficiency & TLG's unpredictable extensions. That's the case with a lot of sets, but people still like to single out the Pet Shop for no reason. It has still done better than a lot of sets. It's your own fault if you over-buy a certain set or you buy it too early, no reason to blame the set.

On 12/12/2020 at 10:40 PM, elmaslıefendi said:

Well, the issues you stated are poor buying decisions, bad storage efficiency & TLG's unpredictable extensions. That's the case with a lot of sets, but people still like to single out the Pet Shop for no reason. It has still done better than a lot of sets. It's your own fault if you over-buy a certain set or you buy it too early, no reason to blame the set.

Disappointment is warranted against expectation of Modular Set returns. 

Yeah you're right that there are many duds out there that did worse, but Pet Shop should be compared to those I think. Anyhow, I was just trying to help by resetting the context of many years ago as I've been along for a while now. 

I'll go back to full silent mode - np

Just now, $20 on joe vs dan said:

thanks

seems like there is one perrenial...Parisian before and now Assembly Square

there's 1 that's soon to retire (Diner)

and two "active": Corner Garage and Bookstore

that would suggest next year's diner is the Corner Garage

There is always a corner set available. So far the sets have released in this order:

Corner, Straight, Straight, Corner, Straight, Straight, Corner, Straight, Straight, Corner, Straight, Straight, Corner, Straight, Straight

So a corner building next year. Garage is toast. They're overdue for a double retirement. But AS sells too well to kill it off... so Garage will likely go alone. The buy in on it isn't great, but it will have as long of a life as Brick Bank/Downtown Diner has.  Which were only on the shelves ~3 months longer than the Town Hall. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1