40178 - LEGO VIP Promo

Just now, crayxlp said:

I have no intention to  disbelief your statement. Yes, some "special" sets do not get general discounts in the general store chains.. However my first note was focused somewhere else: basically that anyone buying anything at 20 % off and being happy "what a great deal" .. should not be so enthusiastic since there are many more who can buy-in for a much lower price - and the shipping costs around the world just gets cheaper and cheaper... 

Sorry, I agree with you. I was juggling this & the NASA thread and had that specifically in my mind. Anything available at the chains, I'd sooner take my chances on a clearance, BOGO, etc sale.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

I have no intention to  disbelief your statement. Yes, some "special" sets do not get general discounts in the general store chains.. However my first note was focused somewhere else: basically that anyone buying anything at 20 % off and being happy "what a great deal" .. should not be so enthusiastic since there are many more who can buy-in for a much lower price - and the shipping costs around the world just gets cheaper and cheaper... 

How many Saturn V's have you purchased at 20%+ off??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lodibricks said:

Sorry, I agree with you. I was juggling this & the NASA thread and had that specifically in my mind. Anything available at the chains, I'd sooner take my chances on a clearance, BOGO, etc sale.

. same as I do.. some VIP points are just not enough - for every SINGLE set I can find a seller (company) on the local market that offers it at least for 20 per cent off at the same time.. now why should I appreciate some 5-10 per cent discount on the next purchase from LEGO itself?

Just now, BricksBrotha said:

How many Saturn V's have you purchased at 20%+ off??

Hi.. the local price on CZE (Czech market) according to official LEGO shop-at-home website is 3299 CZK (approx 126 EUR). taking into account that there are roughly 3.000 employees in the local plant and those people ARE BY THE LEGO rules entitled to purchase / buy in local factory stores sets in amount equal to retail price of 3.5 MIL EUR.. go figure.. Im personally totally sure that the plant management SIMPLY HAS TO BE AWARE of this practice (therefore there are some limits as to what an employee can buy with discount).. but still.. 3.5 mil EUR per year??!!! Im not saying this gets totally "OFF" from the plant, but everybode "sane enough" inside is dealing with that on a secondary market..

and to answer your question.. I got 3 with 35 % off each.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

Hi.. the local price on CZE (Czech market) according to official LEGO shop-at-home website is 3299 CZK (approx 126 EUR). taking into account that there are roughly 3.000 employees in the local plant and those people ARE BY THE LEGO rules entitled to purchase / buy in local factory stores sets in amount equal to retail price of 3.5 MIL EUR.. go figure.. Im personally totally sure that the plant management SIMPLY HAS TO BE AWARE of this practice (therefore there are some limits as to what an employee can buy with discount).. but still.. 3.5 mil EUR per year??!!! Im not saying this gets totally "OFF" from the plant, but everybode "sane enough" inside is dealing with that on a secondary market..

That's what we call living close to the source.  Enjoy it!?

VIP poly bag now available again with $125 at US LEGO Shop at Home. No double points though.

Kind of grinds my gears that the promo item was held back during the last day of the double point promotion and now available again. Yeah, "We suddenly found a batch in the back of the warehouse!"

....grrrr

15 minutes ago, MrToes16 said:

VIP poly bag now available again with $125 at US LEGO Shop at Home. No double points though.

Kind of grinds my gears that the promo item was held back during the last day of the double point promotion and now available again. Yeah, "We suddenly found a batch in the back of the warehouse!"

....grrrr

it was available yesterday.  and there was also the easter chick added to the basket...

16 hours ago, cladner said:

last call today for VIP promo (at least reportedly).  saturn v in stock now with this promo if you buy another set to get over $125 - pick $20 in Friends set to get tic tac toe promo, + easter chick promo + vip promo and double VIP.  bought the advent calendar for my  kids.

image.thumb.png.f5159d34ae09321d79e776e6859b3521.png

This is one of those freebies which is really cool looking, nice, and worth getting.  But personally, I'm hesitant to get multiples of it just due to the high price point as well as how flooded the market is online for it on Amazon, eBay, BL, etc.

13 hours ago, crayxlp said:

Don't forget that you should pay taxes if you are reselling and when you buy from employees, you don't have bill to deduct buy-in price. This way you should tax whole price of set (not just profit).

16 minutes ago, TANV said:

This is one of those freebies which is really cool looking, nice, and worth getting.  But personally, I'm hesitant to get multiples of it just due to the high price point as well as how flooded the market is online for it on Amazon, eBay, BL, etc.

lowest FBA $28.95 and only 38 sellers. high price point barrier to entry will keep the seller count lower than usual.  i wouldn't be surprised if this poly gets to $40-50 once the supply thins*.  With the double vip and the other freebies (lloyd minifigure+caveman ) it was a pretty good deal.  without the double VIP  not  into it.

*until boxfulls start appearing at legoland.

Edited by cladner

1 minute ago, cladner said:

lowest FBA $28.95 and only 38 sellers. high price point will keep the seller count lower than usual.  i wouldn't be surprised if this poly gets to $40-50 once the supply thins.  With the double vip and the other freebies (lloyd minifigure+caveman ) it was a pretty good deal.  without the double VIP  not  into it.

62 on BrickLink in US, 130 on eBay US.  Sadly, I can't sell on Amazon so my options are limited. To each their own.

1 minute ago, TANV said:

62 on BrickLink in US, 130 on eBay US.  Sadly, I can't sell on Amazon so my options are limited. To each their own.

yeah every market is different.  selling for $23 on ebay. 

i think this poly stands a chance to do better than the rest but that also assumes we don't see another stash show up at a vendor which is probably naive.

Edited by cladner

I wouldn't mind jumping on a bunch of these if the price reaches closer to aprox. retail value and storing them away for a long hibernation.

Problem is that I am getting a sneaky suspicion that this is the kind of promo set that will show up during random promotional stunts for some time to come. It's already a day after the promotional period for this and it is still showing up at LEGO Shop at Home. Could there be a more than average heavy stash in the back?

19 minutes ago, cladner said:

yeah every market is different.  selling for $23 on ebay. 

i think this poly stands a chance to do better than the rest but that also assumes we don't see another stash show up at a vendor which is probably naive.

This is one promo that should be safe due to the VIP branding.  LL doesn't have VIP so should not make it there and the biggest price depreciating retailer where all polys go to RIP won't get it either.  So only potential is more showing up in promotions down the road which can always happen but usually doesn't affect price for to long.

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 1

This is one promo that should be safe due to the VIP branding.  LL doesn't have VIP so should not make it there and the biggest price depreciating retailer where all polys go to RIP won't get it either.  So only potential is more showing up in promotions down the road which can always happen but usually doesn't affect price for to long.

Revan and the VW bus poly rebounded pretty well.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

3 minutes ago, Migration said:

Revan and the VW bus poly rebounded pretty well.

1 minute ago, ravenb99 said:

Don't forget the admiral , captain.

All valid points. To pay devil's advocate, these polys would really have  a limited shelf life even if they show up occasionally during promo times.

I'm looking at this more in line with the Lester poly scenario. This VIP set is branded as a Lego exclusive without much potential for other retailers. But could this set likely get a standard direct purchase version that would flood inventory for years to come? That's really more what worries me.

Promos are an excellent example of a typical market with supply/demand and pricing. 

When they're new, like right now, there's high supply and sellers keep trying to undercut eachother to move it fast for their $20 (198 sellers on BL worldwide, 470 quantity as of this post time, 10/26/17). Not to mention the actual supply from Lego, so many people that wanted one... just got it as a promo from lego. The real market for these are people that missed them, so 6+ months down the line.  

Avg sold is $25, a few listings for sub $20 at the moment, many in low 20's, avg list price is $29, though some do move at that list price

image.png.14ebac2a75eb16bc7dc56852f8ee8c89.png

If you don't care about moving this asap you can probably get more for it if you wait some months or a year. Freebies generally sell for more once supply goes down, as one might expect. Right now is highest competition. 

This is a great promo imo - large in size, 2 figures (an official monochrome), mini lego set stickers are very desirable, white tiles

Edited by Muffin Cup
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Muffin Cup said:

If you don't care about moving this asap you can probably get more for it if you wait some months or a year. Freebies generally sell for more once supply goes down, as one might expect. Right now is highest competition. 

that used to be the case.   Pretty much every single promo or freebie has been cross sold down the road.  Holding promos is pretty risky these days especially in volume.  Like I said above this one is a bit different with the VIP badging but it could be sold directly through LEGO down the road.  VW Beetle avoided it so far but London Bus did not.

Just the potential of them coming back out has also kept values lower as more people do not want to hold.   

Kiss Kiss Batman is a great example.  Probably the hardest one to get for a long time with very limited availability and then boom 75,000 of them available at Target.

Point is nothing is as special as it used to be with LEGO.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

that used to be the case.   Pretty much every single promo or freebie has been cross sold down the road.  Holding promos is pretty risky these days especially in volume.  Like I said above this one is a bit different with the VIP badging but it could be sold directly through LEGO down the road.  VW Beetle avoided it so far but London Bus did not.

Just the potential of them coming back out has also kept values lower as more people do not want to hold.   

Kiss Kiss Batman is a great example.  Probably the hardest one to get for a long time with very limited availability and then boom 75,000 of them available at Target.

Point is nothing is as special as it used to be with LEGO.  

The only issue i see with LEGO putting this set back up for sale, is that its only intended for VIP members.  Since there is a brick built VIP, its a strong case this wont be offered for sale.  However, it most likely will see another round as a gwp if supplies last.

Edited by BricksBrotha

2 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

The only issue i see with LEGO putting this set back up for sale, is that its only intended for VIP members.  Since there is a brick built VIP, its a strong case this wont be offered for sale.  However, it most likely will see another round as a gwp if supplies last.

Here's the other thing that worries me a bit: the price point for this to be offered again...might not be so high so we could see increased market flooding in the future, especially if there's bins of these in warehouses.