Biggest development in Lego Investing 2016

Val-E

Biggest development in Lego Investing 2016  

218 members have voted

1. 1. What was the most important development in the investment market in 2016?

• Death Star remake
    • Cloning of retired sets with acceptable quality
    • Relaxation of banning/discounting policy by TLG
    • Oversupply on the secondary market
    • Amazon selling policy review/gating
    • Exchange rate fluctuation
    • Other (please state in thread)

Other:

Multiple factors play a role.

- The 10188 remake was a big blow to the moral of the reseller. The effect will show in the next years. When people hesitate to pay top dollar for retired sets cause it might or does get a remake.

-  Oversupply on the secondary market is a very big problem. Especially when big chains 'en masse' have such ridiculous discounts. Cause it does not only oversupply the secondary market. It also makes everyone buy mostly the same sets. I'd rather see shops have different sales. So if one misses the sale the other has an advantage. And the other way around. I am really curious how this will pan out.

- All the different alert sites that have emerged the last years. Nobody has to miss any sale or discount anymore. See my second factor above. 

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

I see that nobody has voted for exchange rate fluctuations. This will be a factor when UK buyers & sellers hope to continue trading until the Brexit fallout settles down. Since LEGO is imported into the UK, I hope it doesn't result in making it even more expensive - it will already be eating into retailers' margins. There's already complaints that Morrisons have had to put up the price of Marmite by 12%!

Have you Americans tried Marmite? It's like nothing you've ever tasted before! I go through a jar a week ;-)

29 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Amazon gating is a positive and a negative.

For those of us that are grandfathered in - it is great.

But if we are being unbiased on events - Losing 1 of the 2 legitimate large selling platforms as an option is certainly a negative.

• Like 1

For those of us that are grandfathered in - it is great.
But if we are being unbiased on events - Losing 1 of the 2 legitimate large selling platforms as an option is certainly a negative.

Even more important: how heavy is the next gate? Minimum sales quota? Stricter performance metrics? Amazon can change the rules suddenly without any notice. That should leave us all a bit concerned IMO.
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Even more important: how heavy is the next gate? Minimum sales quota? Stricter performance metrics? Amazon can change the rules suddenly without any notice. That should leave us all a bit concerned IMO.

Currently LEGO is only gated, not restricted... so I think the next step is vendor restriction, which would require you to provide a written letter from LEGO stating that you're authorized to sell their products.

This kills the reseller.

25 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I see that nobody has voted for exchange rate fluctuations. This will be a factor when UK buyers & sellers hope to continue trading until the Brexit fallout settles down. Since LEGO is imported into the UK, I hope it doesn't result in making it even more expensive - it will already be eating into retailers' margins. There's already complaints that Morrisons have had to put up the price of Marmite by 12%!

Have you Americans tried Marmite? It's like nothing you've ever tasted before! I go through a jar a week ;-)

The falling pound has been a killer for me, my UK customers have practically vanished over night. It means a cheaper buy in for amazon items, which might take up some of the slack but not by much. Also it has dragged EU prices down across the board. UK sellers listing in pounds means they're under cutting everyone else savagely. Things like SSD have dropped quite a bit and it's stalled growth on a lot of other big sets. Add the many new sellers getting on board and it's not a good mix.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Eating marmite is like eating engine oil

• Like 2

Not sure if it really affects investing this year, but lately I have stopped buying from lego altogether. There is literally only a handful of items now that are truly limited and lego exclusive. Everything else I can get at least 10% off easily. Even the big exclusives and modulars are now available outside lego, and probably by start of next year death star and disney castle will be available elsewhere.

Most uk shops are doing regular sales, and if you time correctly with 3 for 2 offers you can buy sets for almost 60% off RRP,which really questions the original rrp price.

I recently bought palace cinema for RRP during double VIP as it was sold out at TRU. If i just waited a couple of days i could of got £20 off + £15 gift voucher + Geoffrey giraffe set. I was thinking of returning my set but for a few pounds hardly worth the hassle as should make money back by selling the free advent calendar.

Edited by Mhd747
  • Like 1

Guest brickcrazyhouse

who says we get off topic? and give the cucumber sandwiches a chance they're not bad. especially if you hold the cucumbers and add bacon lettuce and tomato