Are Pirates of the Caribbean worth investing in?

kylefbi5945

I have been collecting Lego's for awhile, and I keep coming across Pirates of the Caribbean sets being discounted by as much as 50% off. I know that Disney is very popular with lots of people but it seems to me like their Lego sets are only decreasing in value (ie Prince of Persia,Cars, and Toy story). Am I wrong for being as hesitant as I am on these sets?

Am I wrong for being as hesitant as I am on these sets?

No, being hesitant does not make you wrong. The overall value of the theme is rather poor but I agree with Stephen. The ships should do fine. As for all the other sets in the theme, I am not so sure. For half or more off, you should be fine.

Even if a set does not do so well, you can always part it out and make some money off of the seperate parts.

Thats Awsome!!.. I am aware that the ships are doing quite well on the maket, I guess what I mean are the smaller sets. Being in the Military I get to shop from the stores on base, and when a Lego set retires or is on the shelf to long they reduce the price until they sellout. And recently they have a bunch of lego Pirates of the Caribbean on sale. I bought some of the no brainer deals but if a set is only $10-$15 off I am wondering if it is worth it.

Paid $60 for the Pearl and $80 for the Queen, and I always Put outside US it has to be mailed Express Mail only, and Express mail for this was $82.50 http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIRATES-OF-THE-CARIBBEAN-4184-BLACK-PEARL-4195-QUEEN-ANNES-REVENGE-SEALED-BOX-/140910891975?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item20cef193c7

Well, the way I look at it is that even if I don't make money on the sets there are some great parts for MOC building. That way he sets that don't increase in value can still bring me joy :)

That is 100% exactly how I feel. I have bought numerous sets with designs that I didn't really care for, but have in one way or another used those parts in various MOCs. Even if the set stinks, you can take those pieces and use them for your own stuff. How many things in life can you honestly say you can do that with?

Man, I love LEGO!

I have been collecting Lego's for awhile, and I keep coming across Pirates of the Caribbean sets being discounted by as much as 50% off. I know that Disney is very popular with lots of people but it seems to me like their Lego sets are only decreasing in value (ie Prince of Persia,Cars, and Toy story). Am I wrong for being as hesitant as I am on these sets?

I don't think you can go wrong with 50% off on these. They will be dried up soon and will sell once the new movie comes out. I have pretty much depleted my inventory on these and they are more or less going for above retail.

I don't think you can hardly go wrong on ANYTHING that is 50% off. There is nothing overly special about the non-ship PotC sets, but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't still appreciate nonetheless. Another big thing to keep in mind... a lot of people mention getting parts to build MOC's. For 50% off, that is a good rate to get your spare parts. You may not be big into doing MOC's today, but that could change tomorrow! It literally happens overnight! :)