Thinking about Modulars

cubfan78

1 hour ago, Simon74 said:

I am dealing with the very same dilemma except I do not have the PR yet and got an used GE and TH already. I might pull the trigger on the SC anyway since if I end up really liking it and have to get it after retirement my fear is that its price might climb faster than PR or DO/BB in similar circumstances.

I know what you mean. I am going to go for the GE next and might look at purchasing TH and FB sometime in the near future as well. I imagine at some point I will bricklink GG. I would not be totally surprised to see an updated CC in the next couple of years with interior detail (maybe just a pipe dream). 

I only have so much space and if I continue to add to my lego collection year after year eventually I will run out of space and some sets may have to be stored. In order to try and not run into this problem in the future I am focusing on sets that I really like and not just ones that have the SW UCS label on them or exclusive label on them. 

I imagine my LEGO Shop at Home purchase will be the 911 GT, if it ever comes back in stock. 

• Like 1

On June 29, 2016 at 1:51 AM, Zelgazra said:

It's great that you're taking advantage of the Pick a Brick online, and earning a small handful of VIP points.... but on average, you're going to find that Bricklink sellers are selling those same average parts for less than half the price in many cases. Starting price on any brick from PaB or Bricks & Pieces is around 8 cents. Many common bricks on Bricklink can be found for 2 to 5 cents. It may seem daunting at first, but it's absolutely worth wrapping your head around the wanted lists and all that if you want to save some money... on a little 300 part set it might be pretty negligible, but on a 2200 part modular the savings will show. 

All that said, it can pay to double check. There are some cases you may find rarer parts at a cheaper rate through Pick a Brick. 

Edit: CAD currency values quoted. 

I'm actually using Lego's other site which is Bricks and Pieces.  It looks like they have all of the pieces, except for the minifigures and the two doors.  And in general their prices are better than Pick a Brick; plus they have all of it.  Taxes are taxes, but shipping is very low, and this comes right from Denmark.

I might put this set together for close to $400.00, and that would be acceptable to me.  It won't give me the original box, etc, but I don't mind that since the set is staying with me forever anyways...

This CC will be a NWNB (New With No Box), instead of NISB; but then paying about $400 is not a bad deal I think. I'll take it to make the set complete. 

Does that make me a bad, non purist, collector ?...  I don't think so, they are all the original pieces, just without the box.  Most sets you can buy now are all trashed boxes, or hugely expensive for one that has damage; overall not a bad deal at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2016 at 4:51 AM, cubfan78 said:

Thanks for the info, that makes sense. I just wish there were more cars. Most of the vehicles seem to be service or race theme!...

I had never thought about this before you mentioned it. I haven't yet started my modular display, but I like to plan ahead.  I got to thinking it would look neat to have a large fleet of taxis driving around my modular city (along with other vehicles, of course).  Doing a little research today, I don't see a whole lot of taxi's available in recent sets.  The current 60050 Train Station has one (as did the previous Train Station 7937). There was a New York Taxi 40025 polybag, but it's almost comically small.  Search "Lego Taxi" on eBay, and there's not much to choose from... might have to get creative and make my own.

1 hour ago, Kenxxx said:

I had never thought about this before you mentioned it. I haven't yet started my modular display, but I like to plan ahead.  I got to thinking it would look neat to have a large fleet of taxis driving around my modular city (along with other vehicles, of course).  Doing a little research today, I don't see a whole lot of taxi's available in recent sets.  The current 60050 Train Station has one (as did the previous Train Station 7937). There was a New York Taxi 40025 polybag, but it's almost comically small.  Search "Lego Taxi" on eBay, and there's not much to choose from... might have to get creative and make my own.

The new Spider-man Web Warriors Ultimate Battle set (76057) has a taxi. Looks to be a pretty good "classic" taxi and the set comes out soon here in the U.S.

http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=76057-1&name=Spider-Man: Web Warriors Ultimate Bridge Battle&category=[Super Heroes][Spider-Man]#T=S&O

Edited by Kevink24
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kenxxx said:

You might have to look into creating some vehicle mocs 

I just finished putting together my GE last night.  I didn't know I was going to like it as much as I do.  I'm really impressed with it.  Not sure if it's the build, the way it looks, that it's a corner piece - I don't know.  But I like it.  I also found it to be an enjoyable build, too.  I wasn't building from bags, though - I was building from separated colors.  Not sure if that made a difference, though.

I'm sorting out the Town Hall I Bricklink'd late last year.  Gotta sort colors and re-inventory to make sure it's complete.  But, after I'm done with that, I'm going to build a Pet Shop I have waiting for me.  Still wanting to build these in order of release.

• Like 5

It does look like a fun build. I am pretty boring though, I like to build from the bags. I am going to start building modulars this weekend. I am not sure which one I am going to start with I think it will depend on the layout I am going for. 

I want to get a TH but not sure if I want to BL it or just spend the money to buy a new one sealed in the box. I am probably going to buy a FB next while the price is still sub $400. 

1 hour ago, cubfan78 said:

It does look like a fun build. I am pretty boring though, I like to build from the bags. I am going to start building modulars this weekend. I am not sure which one I am going to start with I think it will depend on the layout I am going for. 

I want to get a TH but not sure if I want to BL it or just spend the money to buy a new one sealed in the box. I am probably going to buy a FB next while the price is still sub $400. 

The only reason I built by color instead of bags, was because I bought a bulk lot that had about 75% of the GE in it.  It was partially built, along with a ton of loose pieces.  So I didn't have an option to build by bags.  (That's my preferred way to build as well).

TH, last fall, was a bit cheaper to piece together from BL than it is now.  I want to say there are a few choice pieces (including the instructions) that have shot up in price, as used and new set supply have dwindled.  I know I didn't pay nearly as much as if I would have tried to put it together now.

• Like 1

GE was a fun build. I'm currently piecing together a GG I got that was about 80% complete from shopgoodwill.com. Also waiting for my $44 95% complete Pet Shop from ebay. Gonna inventory it, build the townhouse mirrored and use the pet shop side to start on a sand blue grocer. Aren't modulars great?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On June 22, 2016 at 4:43 PM, Phil B said:

With one caveat: The oldest set is not necessarily the set that'll retire first :). Out of the 5 mentioned, only BB and DO are "safe" (as in, they will be around for another year at least, being 2016 and 2015 sets). For the others: retirement date and order are anyone's guess.

True, it probably depends also a lot on how popular the set is.  If they keep selling steady, LEGO will probably ride the wave and keep producing them too; why stop a good cash flow ?

Yay !!!  Finish d my bricklink'ed CC, and it looks awesome.  Got the two original doors needed on bricklink, and just swallowed the hefty price tag of $23.00 for each of them.

The only thing I had to do, was exchange the earth blue large pieces, columns and 'door portal beam thingy' with the same pieces in dark stone gray... which look I really like...

I included a pic of the final result.

I got so hooked on doing this that I started brick linking another second story for this CC, call me a sucker, but I think this model deserves another story.  It is after all the one that started it all...

image.jpg

• Like 8