Thinking about Modulars

cubfan78

It's kind of packing tape, but then really wide.  Takes a lot of patience to apply since you only get one change, you can't redo because the box will rip.  It works great though and also stops the cardboard from ripping apart where the tabs are when you try to re-close them after opening.

i sold an old Lego technic set to someone in NY, and he wrote me back to get instructions on how to do that to his own sets, he liked it that much. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wimmer said:

It's kind of packing tape, but then really wide.  Takes a lot of patience to apply since you only get one change, you can't redo because the box will rip.  It works great though and also stops the cardboard from ripping apart where the tabs are when you try to re-close them after opening.

i sold an old Lego technic set to someone in NY, and he wrote me back to get instructions on how to do that to his own sets, he liked it that much. 

This reminds me that I once received a Magic card that was laminated, probably to better protect its value. :swoon:

1 hour ago, Wimmer said:

AAAAHHHHH... OK... so you more or less "laminate" the boxes.  When I read you "coat" your Lego sets, I got the impression you were coating the finished builds with something!  

• Like 3

Ignoring what may or may not retire soon, Out of the 5 current Modulars (Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, Brick Bank, Detective's Office, and Parisian Restaurant), which would you recommend be built first to start off a city?  I'm probably most interested in the Detective's Office because I am a fan of the genre but I am hearing that some of the older sets are more rewarding. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

Ignoring what may or may not retire soon, Out of the 5 current Modulars (Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, Brick Bank, Detective's Office, and Parisian Restaurant), which would you recommend be built first to start off a city?  I'm probably most interested in the Detective's Office because I am a fan of the genre but I am hearing that some of the older sets are more rewarding. 

I would start with a corner building if starting a city. GB Firehouse is also a great way to start a city. 

Of the current sets PR was the most enjoyable for me (have not done BB yet but have built the others). DO is really nice but wish it was a little bigger. The newer ones seem to be shrinking in size but have more interior detail. 

5 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I would start with a corner building if starting a city. GB Firehouse is also a great way to start a city. 

Of the current sets PR was the most enjoyable for me (have not done BB yet but have built the others). DO is really nice but wish it was a little bigger. The newer ones seem to be shrinking in size but have more interior detail. 

I have the GB Firehouse too but I was thinking of holding that until the new movie comes out (either to celebrate how enjoyable it is or to wallow in despair if it's disappointing).  Maybe I will start with the Palace Cinema and move on to Parisian Restaurant.  

On June 21, 2016 at 0:55 PM, jonnyhanukkah said:

I would approach it the logic way.  Are you thinking of buying them all ?  If you are, then buy the oldest set first, so you don't have it retire on you while you buy others.  If you don't want all of them, then buy the ones you like, starting with the oldest...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Wimmer said:

I would approach it the logic way.  Are you thinking of buying them all ?  If you are, then buy the oldest set first, so you don't have it retire on you while you buy others.  If you don't want all of them, then buy the ones you like, starting with the oldest...

With one caveat: The oldest set is not necessarily the set that'll retire first :). Out of the 5 mentioned, only BB and DO are "safe" (as in, they will be around for another year at least, being 2016 and 2015 sets). For the others: retirement date and order are anyone's guess.

I already have all 5 current modulars (and the GBHQ).  I just am trying to determine a build order so I can space out the builds over the next year or two as I normally only have time to build a few hours a week and also have plenty of Star Wars on the docket.  A build the size of a modular would probably take me 2 weeks or so unless my family disappears for an extended period of time :)

16 hours ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

I already have all 5 current modulars (and the GBHQ).  I just am trying to determine a build order so I can space out the builds over the next year or two as I normally only have time to build a few hours a week and also have plenty of Star Wars on the docket.  A build the size of a modular would probably take me 2 weeks or so unless my family disappears for an extended period of time :)

I am in the same boat as far building is concerned. I usually have to all my building at night after everyone is asleep. I usually do this on the weekend and stay up late. I put Netflix on my iPad, grab a whiskey and start building. Sometimes I have to many whiskey's and forget a piece and then have to rebuild it the next day :)

I still have to get BB and DO, but I have been debating purchasing a GE from a reseller first. I have not build any of my modulars yet, just SW stuff so far. I am moving late next year an am on the fence on whether or not to start building modulars, at this point I really don't have anywhere to put them. I might just build the Slave 1 next.

I am on the fence on what to purchase next also, it's between the UCS Sandcrawler, GT3-RS or a modular. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

I would start building with the oldest modular you have to avoid disappointment as a lot of people consider the latest modulars to be superior builds. So it could be nice to save those for later.

• Like 2

Earlier this year I built the Parisian Restaurant, and it was a wonderful build with a gorgeous result. It was and still is the first Advanced Modular building I built. I don't have the space to keep on display all the modulars. But PR is really worth it! It was a pleasure to build.

Currently I'm building the Star Wars UCS Slave 1. Building one bag at a time, when I'm lucky. Wife and kids demand my time as well.... Just finished bag 8 of the total of 13 bags. Really loving the design and build. Though the bottom can be quite fragile with parts breaking off easily.

• Like 1

I'm curious if many others have seen exclusives/modulars in B&Ns.

Found a BB the other day and did a bunch of B&N app inventory searching in a decent radius (as much as I might find myself otherwise driving) and didn't find any other exclusives.

Is this a fluke?

1 hour ago, Cozei said:

I'm curious if many others have seen exclusives/modulars in B&Ns.

Found a BB the other day and did a bunch of B&N app inventory searching in a decent radius (as much as I might find myself otherwise driving) and didn't find any other exclusives.

Is this a fluke?

BB as in Brick Bank? Or Brick Bounty?

Sorry, Brick Bank. Made assumption on modular thread.

Ironically, a local toy store around had two brick bounties too recently. But I'm interested in the rarity of exclusives stocked in Barnes and Noble stores. Correct me if I'm wrong but outside SaH points/promos, B&N could be a location to acquire at ~20% off.

Thanks.

Just now, Cozei said:

Sorry, Brick Bank. Made assumption on modular thread.

Ironically, a local toy store around had two brick bounties too recently. But I'm interested in the rarity of exclusives stocked in Barnes and Noble stores. Correct me if I'm wrong but outside SaH points/promos, B&N could be a location to acquire at ~20% off.

Thanks.

With discounted GCs and 10% off membership, B&N is indeed a good place to get an exclusives deal. Only downside for me is that none of the B&N's in a 100 mile radius stock anything exclusive. All run-of-the-mill LEGO, and small shelf sections at that. I was really surprised when back in April one of them suddenly had a few The Mine's in stock - never mind exclusives.

I was just wondering: is it too early to start speculating what the next modular could be ?

If I had to come up with something that could be next, or want to be next, I probably would like a police station, or maybe a train station...  Hmm, train station could be nicely combined with the winter village sets; and that line REALLY could use a station I think...

Any suggestions, or am I pushing this in the wrong topic right now ?

I was just wondering: is it too early to start speculating what the next modular could be ?

If I had to come up with something that could be next, or want to be next, I probably would like a police station, or maybe a train station...  Hmm, train station could be nicely combined with the winter village sets; and that line REALLY could use a station I think...

Any suggestions, or am I pushing this in the wrong topic right now ?

I'd throw an iron brick through the window of any new modular you might speculate on.

• Like 3