Thinking about Modulars

cubfan78

1 hour ago, cubfan78 said:

PS came in the mail today! I'm not sure if I am going to start it tonight or not. I need to work on a bench I am building (Woodworking, is my first hobby) so I might just wait until Friday night to start the PS, after the kids are asleep.

IMG_0019.jpg

kids and time for 2 hobbies - I need your life .....

opened my first modular PS today (from Amazon Italy reseller)... waiting to see if the store will offer any credit back

also bought my 2nd one, PC, and plan to get PR next month

keeping an eye on used GE on ebay in Europe

finally started to Bricklink/BrickOwl/B&P modified CC and a sand blue GG

IMG-20160604-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20160604-WA0007.jpg

• Like 1

PC and PR got delivered today!  I was going to start building the modulars this weekend but am now on the fence. I am going to be moving in 17 months and not sure I want to start putting my modular's together only to have to tear apart next year. Plus I really don't have anywhere to put them at this point. However, I did start building The UCS Tie-Fighter!

• Like 1

I also have the UCS Tie-Fighter built (as well as the EV)... however S1, TB and the modulars will stay sealed for the moment

wife knows about S1 and TB however does not know yet about the modulars

maybe this is not a coincidence as these are just some classic sets

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Simon74 said:

I also have the UCS Tie-Fighter built (as well as the EV)... however S1, TB and the modulars will stay sealed for the moment

wife knows about S1 and TB however does not know yet about the modulars

maybe this is not a coincidence as these are just some classic sets

All my wife knows is that I keep getting boxes of Lego delivered. If she looked at my stash she would find a Slave 1, Ferris Wheel, Fair Ground Mixer, PR,PC,PS, Winter Village Market, and about 15 other smaller sets not built. This probably seems small compared to most but I have gone from 0-60 in about 7 months! It might be time to slow down. 

• Like 1

All my wife knows is that I keep getting boxes of Lego delivered. If she looked at my stash she would find a Slave 1, Ferris Wheel, Fair Ground Mixer, PR,PC,PS, Winter Village Market, and about 15 other smaller sets not built. This probably seems small compared to most but I have gone from 0-60 in about 7 months! It might be time to slow down. 

Sounds pretty similar to most anyone who comes out of their dark ages. I dropped about $5k in my first 6-12 months.

Trust me, eventually your wife WILL take notice. You're in a race against the clock, my friend. You need to start transitioning to selling just enough to give yourself a viable "I'm not just buying, I'm investing and reselling!" defense. Then you can downplay the 5 boxes a month that show up, and make a big show out of the 1 that you ship out. If my calculations are correct, that'll get you into Q1 2018 before she calls out your lopsided expense/income ledger.

But thats future-cubfan78's problem to deal with, don't worry about that guy, he'll figure something out.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

Sounds pretty similar to most anyone who comes out of their dark ages. I dropped about $5k in my first 6-12 months.

Trust me, eventually your wife WILL take notice. You're in a race against the clock, my friend. You need to start transitioning to selling just enough to give yourself a viable "I'm not just buying, I'm investing and reselling!" defense. Then you can downplay the 5 boxes a month that show up, and make a big show out of the 1 that you ship out. If my calculations are correct, that'll get you into Q1 2018 before she calls out your lopsided expense/income ledger.

But thats future-cubfan78's problem to deal with, don't worry about that guy, he'll figure something out.

Sounds just like me as well.  I started last year when the new Millenium Falcon came out and haven't looked back since.  I was able to use around $2,000 I had won in Fantasy Football in January to really jumpstart my collection and I sold off my complete run of The Walking Dead comics to fund the rest of my habit so I didn't have to dip in to the family funds at all.  My wife on the other hand still buys lots of shoes and clothes :) 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

Ha ha ha, sounds familiar. Spent more than €5000 on LEGO in my first 6 months after I came out of my dark ages. Now I have slightly more than €1000 worth of LEGO in built sets on display and a cache of LEGO boxes waiting for their post EOL value increase. As it is with every investment, you need to put in the money first, and be patient (and a bit lucky) to get back your investment with a nice profit.

Wife is okay with it by the way because I used my personal savings for it. I even convinced her to buy one Tumbler for speculation with her own savings. :)

Edited by Haay
  • Like 1

As it is with every investment, you need to put in the money first, and be patient (and a bit lucky) to get back your investment with a nice profit.

It's been said elsewhere by others, but worth repeating: start out with sets you would be happy keeping for a personal collection. Ones that you'll be happy to keep if they never do reach a profitable value.

Eventually you'll want to shift to a model of selling enough to cover the costs of personal collecting. Nowadays, I buy about $2k a month, keeping $250 worth for myself, putting the rest into my selling pipeline - bringing in $2k/mo through selling. That'll satisfy the wife that your expanding collection is at least "paying for itself" through reselling activities.

If you're serious about making actual profits and treating LEGO as a bonafide investment - well - 95% of us haven't crossed that bridge (while many may buy strictly for resale and do so profitably, I'd wager their personal collection costs and time spent on it all cancels out the profits, and then some). You'll have to ask the handful of Ed Mack's of the world how they navigated it with their spouses!

• Like 3

I can only concur with the whole "buying spree when coming out of your dark-ages". My awakening was somewhere in 2013-2014, but turned into full-on back-to-LEGO about 6 months ago. My collection now consists of a 10173 Holiday Train, a Maersk Train, several Build Your Own Train carriages (2x Oil tanker, 2x Log car, 1x Caboose), a PR, PC, PS and DO, Mini, F40, VW T1, Wall-E, Temple of Airjitzu and a full complement of 2014 and 2015 Bricktober mini modulars ... combined with tons of track and switches. But very little has been built so far.

This site has helped me get good deals on most of it, combined with cashback rewards from buying LEGO sets for my part-out business.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

It's been said elsewhere by others, but worth repeating: start out with sets you would be happy keeping for a personal collection. Ones that you'll be happy to keep if they never do reach a profitable value.

Eventually you'll want to shift to a model of selling enough to cover the costs of personal collecting. Nowadays, I buy about $2k a month, keeping $250 worth for myself, putting the rest into my selling pipeline - bringing in $2k/mo through selling. That'll satisfy the wife that your expanding collection is at least "paying for itself" through reselling activities.

If you're serious about making actual profits and treating LEGO as a bonafide investment - well - 95% of us haven't crossed that bridge (while many may buy strictly for resale and do so profitably, I'd wager their personal collection costs and time spent on it all cancels out the profits, and then some). You'll have to ask the handful of Ed Mack's of the world how they navigated it with their spouses!

At first, you don't tell them.  If you are lucky like me and have a secondary storage area, it helps.  Eventually they will figure it out, but by then, it's too late.  The final step is explaining how you spent $150.00 on a set that is now worth $400.00.  That helps with acceptance.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

You guys never fess up and explain the extra storage you guys are required to keep for your wife's payback shoe collection.

Funny thing is: My wife keeps buying furniture at estate sales, so my LEGO buying is just retaliation :)

• Like 3

She does not really complain too much, just takes note of the how often boxes are arriving. All my Lego purchases in the last few months came from money me trying my hand at Options trading. 

I had the opportunity to buy a couple of the new Porsche 911 sets but decided to pass on them at the Lego store. Not sure if I am ready to go down the investing rabbit hole yet. For now I am happy just building and reading the BP forum. I am afraid that investing may take some of the fun out of it for me. This is similar to my reasoning why I never take commission work for people who want me to build them something (woodworking is my first hobby). 

I do however try to take advantage of promotions when they have them. I have two extra creator fountains and various other promotional polybags, that I am hoping to use in a trade for a GE in the near future. 

My wife is getting ready to start a business and I am going to take care of a lot the behind the scenes computer and inventory work that has to take place. As long as the business is making money, then I will get a little kickback every month for my Lego and Woodworking habits. Not a bad trade off!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cubfan78 said:

My wife is getting ready to start a business and I am going to take care of a lot the behind the scenes computer and inventory work that has to take place. As long as the business is making money, then I will get a little kickback every month for my Lego and Woodworking habits. Not a bad trade off!

Don't tell me this is lularoe 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On May 26, 2016 at 2:45 AM, cubfan78 said:

I am seriously starting to consider buying modulars (strictly building, not investing). When I first got back into lego about 7 months ago, I decided that I did not want to build the big modulars and was set on getting only smaller creator 3 in 1 buildings for a small city scape. I should have known that would not last. Fast Forward 7 months and I have gone somewhat hog wild with some of the bigger UCS SW sets, fairground sets, and a couple retired winter village sets, bike shop, and some of the retired houses. I have put the small city scape on hold and packed up all the ones I already built. I will be moving at the end of 2017 and did not want to put time into building the smaller creator sets and putting them into a city scape at this point. Not to mention that once I got some of the bigger sets my interest in building some of these smaller sets went down.

At this point I kind of regret not getting the bigger modulars right off the bat and had a little buyers remorse with some of these smaller 3 in 1 sets. Several of the sets I bought multiples of so I could build and display all the variations in a city scape (which I still might do at some point). 

I guess my basic question, is with many of the sets already retired, is it even worth getting into? Is Lego going to continue with this modular theme for several years? Is there a possibility that Lego might start a new line of Modulars that are bigger and closer to a 3500 -4000 piece count like some of the landmarks? 

I know the modulars take up some serious space, how do most of you display them? 

I am on the fence on what direction I want to go at this point. I really like the modulars but I also really like a couple of the landmarks like TB and BB. Not sure if I can layout the cash for all the modulars, landmarks and the sets that are still going to be released later this year, considering how much I have already spent. I should have never walked into the Lego Store! 

@AirborneAFOL already explained why you should not worry, and here are my two cents as well.  I asked for the GG for my 42nd birthday from my father in law, since I didn't know what to ask.  I always played with Lego since I was 7 year old and I still have my first two sets at home in the original box with instructions; all in good shape.  I really liked building the GG and bought the next one.  Thought about investing for the GG and never did, and look what a new one does nowadays; probably an easy $1000.00 if you have patience.

so the money investment is not a problem, that will sure come back if you sell them again, even used.  Just make sure it's complete and not damaged at all. I kind of clear coat all my Lego sets; and got lots of compliments from buyers who buy my used sets, that they are in almost perfect shape.  And it makes the boxes easy to clean as well.

I regret not buying the CC set, because I have them all, besides the last two.  But I will get these too, just not in a hurry, because they won't retire that fast, you always have two to three years.  Just got the Lego Porsche 42056, and that one is still taking my breath away.

My advise: don't hesitate to get these sets, because they will not depreciate in value.  If Lego ever stops the line altogether, they will become worth even more...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Wimmer said:

.... I kind of clear coat all my Lego sets...they are in almost perfect shape.  And it makes the boxes easy to clean as well....

You do WHAT?! ... with a spray liquid or something?  ...exactly what are you using?

• Like 1