Super heroes set / The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape

wintersun

Thanks everyone for the responses, the off-topic discussion was also very helpful to a beginning investor.

I believe this set will do well, and given the fact that it doesn't take up much space I'm happy to sit on it for a while if thats what it takes, I don't mind. In my opinion, this set is a winner as long as it doesn't pull a death star.

Josh, no worries - I am of the happy, annoying disposition that I can disagree with people I like and still count them friends afterward. ;-)

I do get what you're saying about the "everyone else does it" defense -- I'm not real fond of that one either. And, honestly, if I thought it was wrong, I wouldn't (lots of unethical things I could do to perk up business, but I just won't). I worded that poorly.

We do simply disagree on the new vs. used and that's okay. It was good of you to apologize for the language in the one post, imo.

• Like 1

Mos Eisley - I don't often agree with you, but again, your posts are always intelligently written and you seem to have very little sympathy for foolishness. Although it can come off as rude to some, I've always tried to admire that quality for the no-nonsense approach it offers. 

I don't know how you could feel this way. I say the best stuff. And I'm always right. ;)

• Like 2

Hey TOK...I know you stated "move on", but I want to talk about this one more time...I feel it's relevant and I'm willing to take the punishment warning/suspension if you see fit. But I had 4 miles of a hot Texas' night run to think about it.

I see there are alot of different perspectives about what is regarded as "new", some I hadn't even thought of. I want to retract and apologize for the "douchetard" comment. Probably should've been worded better, like "those who list incomplete sets as new without notification are douchetards" or something. Bottom line is that as much as I like to play around on this forum, I'm know better than to make blanket insult comments. Some pretty intelligent and good people probably felt affected, and insults like that aren't in good taste. 

justafrog - I interpreted your comments as something to the effect of "I'm going to list my opened stuff as new because everyone else does". I could be wrong though. I see your point from a business aspect, but I also feel like you saw the validity in what I stated...for me it isn't ethically ok to act a certain way or do something because everyone else gets away with it or because it's become an industry standard.That's just me. But I respect your opinion...I like the contributions you make here and always enjoy reading your posts. Agreeing to disagree is a part of life in almost everything that could be considered so subjectively. I'm the one who tried to say (in a roundabout way) there was only one way, so I'm the jackass here.  

Mos Eisley - I don't often agree with you, but again, your posts are always intelligently written and you seem to have very little sympathy for foolishness. Although it can come off as rude to some, I've always tried to admire that quality for the no-nonsense approach it offers. 

Anyway, I'm done venting and done talking about it. Thanks for reading my "cool story".

This was a great post, JoshTX. I believe we can skip the punishment altogther. ;)

From my time here at BrickPicker, there seems to be three different topic types which always end up taking over any thread. The "Toys R Us loathing" talk, the "bubble" speculation, and the "New vs Used" discussion. Every time a conversation somehow goes in any one of these directions, it takes a long time for things to finally return back to the original thread's purpose and I was only hoping to avoid another similar scenario again. Now if someone does feel like starting a brand new thread just for the "New vs Used" discussion, then do so and anyone who still wishes to keep going on with it can do so there.

This was a great post, JoshTX. I believe we can skip the punishment altogther. ;)

From my time here at BrickPicker, there seems to be three different topic types which always end up taking over any thread. The "Toys R Us loathing" talk, the "bubble" speculation, and the "New vs Used" discussion. Every time a conversation somehow goes in any one of these directions, it takes a long time for things to finally return back to the original thread's purpose and I was only hoping to avoid another similar scenario again. Now if someone does feel like starting a brand new thread just for the "New vs Used" discussion, then do so and anyone who still wishes to keep going on with it can do so there.

Really TOK??? The "I'm woman, hear me roar" v. "I'm woman, but shhhhhh" detour doesn't even get (dis)honorable mention???? My goodness, we freaking got that baby censored!!!

Guest eightbrick

Really TOK??? The "I'm woman, hear me roar" v. "I'm woman, but shhhhhh" detour doesn't even get (dis)honorable mention???? My goodness, we freaking got that baby censored!!!

CENSORED. FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY. SSHHHHH!

Ta-da!  :rofl: Anyway... about the funhouse... I was messing around on BrickLink and was surprised to see that all five minifigures saw price average increases by at least a couple cents from July to August. Sorry for being Captain Obvious here, but it shows again that there's a lot of value in those figures...

I admire the sellers who list said components as used but in the description state they are new. That's what I would do but I dont part out sets. I saw a 41999 listed as used because one seal had popped. The description clearly stated that is was new but could not in good conscience be listed as new. I agree with Josh but in the end it is what it is.

Alright, that does deserve a mention and totals up to four different topic types which always end up taking over any thread. Perhaps I should start that Lady Brickpickers thread up again for old times sake? Ha ha.
  • Like 1

Why would anybody think the Funhouse would be selling way over the $40 retail price all the time, take the Jabba's palace, Epic battle, Helms Deep, Etc you can get these for $20 below retail and there are lots of other sets that we can get cheap. Thats why we have to wait til the sets retire and then the wait begins for the prices to rise.

That very much answered the question to this thread.  It's the best advice to take away is to look at this in a long term perspective.  It'll drive you crazy checking tick by tick what it's selling for on Ebay all the time.  The investment horizon of this gentleman to sell after it retires so it depends on what your trading plan is. 

Guest betsy805

I admire the sellers who list said components as used but in the description state they are new. That's what I would do but I dont part out sets. I saw a 41999 listed as used because one seal had popped. The description clearly stated that is was new but could not in good conscience be listed as new. I agree with Josh but in the end it is what it is.

Arguing with myself over something similiar.  Want to list my castle chess set that has never actually been played with BUT it was opened.  New or used....used or new? Meanwhile, there it sits, waiting for me to figure it out.

• 5 months later...

Ever since I started posting on Brickpicker just over a year ago, I have always taken every opportunity to sing the praises of the 6857 Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape set.  For those who don't know, it officially retired yesterday (2/4/14.)

How many does everybody have?  Did you get enough of them?  I stopped at 14 because I try to stay diverse if possible.

What are everyone's thoughts on this set now?  Some aspects of its value may have taken a bit of a hit since I first fell in love with it about a year and a half ago.  The Riddler is not such a draw anymore now that there is a new version of him available, and for much cheaper.  I know it is a different figure, and the 6857 version is still exclusive, but I imagine this changes things.

Another big factor... The Joker from 6857 was only available additionally in the 6863 Batwing set.  Once these two sets retired (which they both did yesterday,) I was counting on that Joker making a leap in value.  A lot of people may not have seen this yet, but there is a kiddie-sized build version of the Batcave that is going to be released, and guess who is included?  Our beloved Joker is not going to become rare after all, at least not for a while.

Thankfully we still have Harley Quinn and the old Red Robin to power this set.  I still have high hopes for it as an investment, but I can't help but think that the topics mentioned above might change the landscape a little.

A penny for any thoughts?

Its a Batman exclusive. I think it will do ok. It may take a little time because I feel like it may have been overstocked. I bought one for myself, but am waiting for Toys R Us to put them on clearance before I get any for spec.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I hope that happens but TRU has been marking up their sets as they retire, recently. 

Great news.  While I only have a few, it's better than none.  Anyone have any idea on what else was retired yesterday?  I'm sure there was a thread if someone can refer me to it.  (I looked and couldn't find.)

I know there is a thread somewhere...but here is what I recall off the top of my head:

Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape

Batwing Battle Over Gotham City

Attack of the Wargs

Riddles for the Ring

The Orc Forge

The Mines of Moria

Goblin King Battle

Vampyre Castle

Fire Brigade!!!

The Swamp Creature

Constitution Train

Cavalry Builder Set

Colby City Showdown

Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush

That's all I can think of for now, but that ought to be enough to get you salivating.  :)

• Like 1

I know there is a thread somewhere...but here is what I recall off the top of my head:

Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape

Batwing Battle Over Gotham City

Attack of the Wargs

Riddles for the Ring

The Orc Forge

The Mines of Moria

Goblin King Battle

Vampyre Castle

Fire Brigade!!!

The Swamp Creature

Constitution Train

Cavalry Builder Set

Colby City Showdown

Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush

That's all I can think of for now, but that ought to be enough to get you salivating.  :)

Suggestion for the mods - have a sticky thread, something like "just retired", with the set name, date and country. Might be useful perhaps. And maybe similar thread for "just had "retiring soon" tag added"?