Hi iam new member

Hi all just saying hello aim old enought to no better but still don't.

iam a collector rarther than a seller as can't bring my self to part with the hundreds of tiny coloured bricks I got back into lego after my wife had mentioned that they had a team building day at work :-) then both my sons had said how much they still collect and build lego. I looked at it as back in the day when a family sat down at dining with a jigsaw. My thoughts are what better time spent as a family building A 3D jigsaw eg a LEGO set built into model. Now addicted to minifiguers and making display case's from ikia picture frames with  tile backing to fit minifigure base's to. 

A question that Id like answering if that's ok for some one to reply. 

Its probly already been asked some where on the site but please bare with me I new to this

whats the best way to safely wash old/ 2nd hand lego. 

msny the Rikbirks

32 minutes ago, Rikbricks said:

whats the best way to safely wash old/ 2nd hand lego. 

Hydrogen Peroxide and sunlight!

You can search this method on Youtube and get lots of tutorials, but the gist of it is to put the LEGO in a clear container of some sort, fill it with hydrogen peroxide, and set it in the sun for a while. This cures the yellowing on the bricks.

And welcome!

Sandwraith describes the best method for refreshing old bricks that have sat in UV light for too long. 

Simply washing them doesn't require such hazardous materials though. Dish soap or toothpaste, plus some hot (but not too hot!) water. 40º C or lower is what T(he)L(ego)G(roup) recommends. I use an old toothbrush to scrub the larger bricks and plates where dust and crud can get stuck between studs. The smaller bricks usually more or less self-clean with a bit of agitation in the bucket. (I put all my parts into a food strainer with fine mesh so as not to lose the little bits, then put the strainer in the sink with the hot soapy water.) Rinse well and leave to air dry. If you have access to Silica Gel packs chuck a few of those on the drying rack, expedites the process greatly!