75146 - Star Wars Advent Calendar 2016

exciter1

4 minutes ago, speedpro50 said:

I would appreciate any counsel my fellow BPers can give on this predicament:

I have a decent quantity of this SA Advent calendar in Amazon warehouses. I have sold a good bit of my inventory at a price lower than I had hoped already. This year has already been disappointing to say the least. For whatever reason, Amazon has declined to have a "Buy Box" on the product listing page this year which I am sure hurts sales a bit, but the bigger problem is that the price didn't get nearly as high as it has in recent years. 

Have you ever faced a similar situation, even the possibility of needing to take a loss on sales just so you aren't stuck with them?

Am I missing anything, any other options, or any more hopeful forecast?

Thanks in advance for your counsel.

Hopefully you bought these at at least a 25% discount this year (bought mine at 30% off). Cash out and move on. BTW, there were stacks of these at my local Lego Store.

• Like 2

Just now, pete411 said:

Hopefully you bought these at at least a 25% discount this year (bought mine at 30% off). Cash out and move on. BTW, there were stacks of these at my local Lego Store.

yeah when your local LEGO store has 30 cases of SW advents left on Black Friday never a good sign...

At least its not friends, one store has over 100 cases in stock

1 minute ago, speedpro50 said:

Why do you think this year was a bust? I figured with us being in the midst of the SW movies being made that this year would do alright. I obviously missed it, but can't pinpoint the exact reason why...

they made a crap ton more

There was also a billion more advents in general this year watering down the advent market.  A good dozen options out there instead of LEGO.

Edited by ravenb99

13 minutes ago, speedpro50 said:

Why do you think this year was a bust? I figured with us being in the midst of the SW movies being made that this year would do alright. I obviously missed it, but can't pinpoint the exact reason why...

- Overproduction by Lego 

- Lego fatigue with shrinking fan base 

- Too many resellers 

- Rogue One buzz hype significantly less than that of Episode 7

We're in a Lego recession but the strong will survive.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people got burned last year on the advent calendar. I also think that with so many people buying them for resale, it showed LEGO an enormous demand, so they bumped up production. Couple that with the non-santa exclusive, people lost interest left, right and center. It's going to stick around just as bad as the year they had Santa Maul. Next year there's probably going to be a correction, and we'll probably see a lower production, creating shortages again.

• Like 1

I really think LEGO caught on to these and flooded the market.  Too many complaints from parents having to pay $80 for them over the past few years.  Last year I was able to snag a dozen or so for about 50% with SYW and Kmart, and was able to turn a decent profit due to the discount.  But this year did not take the QFLL risk at all, to many other deals and not enough time for selling.  I think the free money from SW Advent is going to be dried up for a few years as the market corrects.  Even a ton of left over stock this year I do not think will be a enough to reign LEGO and Disney in, since these are likely very high margin.

here is hoping for mass clearance this year.  would love to grab a bunch of these around $10.  it has some decent figs.

After this sucker totally burned to the ground in the last week - hovering just cents above MSRP throughout today - Amazon now shows it as in stock "requiring 1-2 days of processing" at good ol' retail price. And it's not just a unit or two - been this way for a good 15 minutes.

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 18.53.32.png

Edited by chrisynd

4 minutes ago, chrisynd said:

After this sucker totally burned to the ground in the last week - hovering just cents above MSRP throughout today - Amazon now shows it as in stock "requiring 1-2 days of processing" at good ol' retail price. And it's not just a unit or two - been this way for a good 15 minutes.

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 18.53.32.png

I still need to pick one up.  Was hoping to score one on a discount.  This one looks pretty underwhelming.