4194 - Whitecap Bay

Matt C.

Ironic that you mention this set in particular. I just saw it at TRU today too, and gave it a long hard look. Only those price-goudging chumps had it priced at $96.99!!! I definitely wouldn't pay that for it, but it could be a good set to get. The mermaids already seem to be popular with the mini fig collectors. I guess if you can get it for the right price, it might be a good pickup. Depending on your budget and personal feelings towards the PotC line though, I might steer you towards something a little safer in terms of investment potential.

While POTC isn't Prince of Persia in terms of bombing out, I think that only the ships do well (most times, ships and trains do well). The rest of the sets are 'meh' and contains no real identifying, iconic locales or scenes. Well, to be honest, neither did the franchise beyond the first film! And that may be the real problem. And they had to chuck Jack Sparrow into every single set!

Despite the promise of a future movie, this set doesn't seem to be a big investment winner. The mermaids are cool, but the fact that other POTC sets are long gone and this one is still kicking around tells me that it isn't super popular with today's buyers. Part of it might be the price point and part may be that buyers are more willing to spend a little more to grab the more iconic Black Pearl (or QAR). I'd be on board if I could get it at a significant discount, but anything close to MSRP wouldn't catch my attention.

While POTC isn't Prince of Persia in terms of bombing out, I think that only the ships do well...

Speaking of Prince of Persia... the TRU by me still has a TON of PoP sets. They are too stupid to even put them on clearance. The funny thing is, some of these sets are actually really cool. But everyone knows better than to like something based on a character played by Jake Gyllenhaal.

I know the movie was based on a well liked franchise of games from the original Xbox era, but seriously...Jake Gyllenhaal. Who wants to admit that they have a Jake Gyllenhaal mini figure in their collection? Lol.

the TRU by me still has a TON of PoP sets. They are too stupid to even put them on clearance.

That is one thing that still gets me. A store can have an item similiar to those sit there for what seems like forever, but never put them on clearance! How moronic is that? Gee, I can not possibly imagine why they just do not get off the shelf. Ugh, numbskulls....

The PRINCE OF PERSIA sets were kinda cool. In any case, they contained a lot of parts in nice 'earthy' tones. Something that I'd like to see more of.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey LD, I'm not sold on this set. I'm a little leery of any set that was widely available around Christmas and didn't do well. It doesn't mean it won't eventually make you some cash, but I think it indicates that the set might appreciate more slowly. Just my thoughts. If the next Pirates film generates some buzz and a couple more waves of sets, it might be a sleeper set, but again, that might be 2+ years to see a decent return.

Hey LD,

I'm not sold on this set. I'm a little leery of any set that was widely available around Christmas and didn't do well. It doesn't mean it won't eventually make you some cash, but I think it indicates that the set might appreciate more slowly. Just my thoughts. If the next Pirates film generates some buzz and a couple more waves of sets, it might be a sleeper set, but again, that might be 2+ years to see a decent return.

My thoughts too. It is available from TRU online right now at full price. I have a 10% off coupon. I am on the fence about it.

I asked the same question as I was holding a few in my hand at the store yesterday.......I decided against getting them.

I think I am with you. I already have 2 that I got at clearance for $59 so I think I will stick with those. I am just looking for something to use my 10% off coupon on before it expires in a couple days.