76052 - Batman Classic TV Series - Batcave

CoastaLego

2 hours ago, Deanfjr said:

Just bought mine!

Hi there,

I'm looking for a bit of advice as you all seem to be pros on this website! I am not an investor, I buy as gifts/treats for our children only.  I picked up one of these of our eldest (intended xmas gift) from Smyth Toys.  I've just noticed that the box has 2 seals on either side of each end (4 seals altogether) which leaves the middle of each end of the box flappy (enough space for me to run my finger along it) - i hope i'm making sense! Please check out the pics i've attached. Could anyone please let me know if this is normal? I would hate to give it to our son at xmas and then find out that there are pieces missing.  I just find it rather odd that Lego hasn't popped a seal in the middle as well as one on either side of this, as it's such a big set. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance. 

P1210758.JPG

P1210759.JPG

P1210761.JPG

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:31 AM, JC1 said:

Hi there,

I'm looking for a bit of advice as you all seem to be pros on this website! I am not an investor, I buy as gifts/treats for our children only.  I picked up one of these of our eldest (intended xmas gift) from Smyth Toys.  I've just noticed that the box has 2 seals on either side of each end (4 seals altogether) which leaves the middle of each end of the box flappy (enough space for me to run my finger along it) - i hope i'm making sense! Please check out the pics i've attached. Could anyone please let me know if this is normal? I would hate to give it to our son at xmas and then find out that there are pieces missing.  I just find it rather odd that Lego hasn't popped a seal in the middle as well as one on either side of this, as it's such a big set. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

It's fine, very common on larger sets for the cardboard to flex.

• Like 2

Just finished building this one after picking it up with a decent discount. 

The set completely underwhelms me and confuses me a bit too.

Building it was fun. Especially the facade for Wayne Manor which i think has some great techniques. 

However as a display piece its terrible with all these little bits that sit outside the building. 

It's done like a playset yet what children are going to be interested in a 60's Batman Batcave?

I think I'm going to keep the Batmobile and part out the rest.  It's not something I'll be keeping and finding display room for. 

Fun to build, but not great on the shelf. 

Edited by Fenix_2k1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Ciaraf76 said:

£160 in Smyths after discounts - worth a punt?

Don't do it. 

I wasn't sold on this set but picked it up at its cheapest at Smyths because i do love my big builds.  It's a good build but a terrible display piece.

I've kept the Batmobile and currently trying to flip the rest but there's not a lot of interest.

I definitely won't be picking any up for investment. 

Edited by Fenix_2k1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

It was cheaper in Smyths only a few weeks ago, I think. Last time there was €20/£20 off I think.

It is actually the cheapest it has ever been at Smyths (£159.99 after £20 voucher), last time they did 20% off + £20 voucher = £163.99

Edited by Mhd747

22 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Don't do it. 

I wasn't sold on this set but picked it up at its cheapest at Smyths because i do love my big builds.  It's a good build but a terrible display piece.

I've kept the Batmobile and currently trying to flip the rest but there's not a lot of interest.

I definitely won't be picking any up for investment. 

Possibly because a new one can be picked up for £160.

2500 parts and 9 unique figs for £160 is pretty good value.  Investment demand is likely low, but as a parts pack..  

1 minute ago, feed said:

Possibly because a new one can be picked up for £160.

2500 parts and 9 unique figs for £160 is pretty good value.  Investment demand is likely low, but as a parts pack..  

When I listed it was back up to full price everywhere. Offered minifig set at lowest asking price around but still no takers.

I don't think this set will be around long.

51 minutes ago, Legojona said:

Wouldn't quick flipping a set by selling it to mainland Europe be interesting for this set? It is €290 in the Netherlands, so I would certainly go for the 160 pound offer. That would be more than 100 euro cheaper.

Any mainland demand? 

I'm a little surprised that this is around with the gigantic crop of Lego Batman Movie sets coming out, including a whole new Batcave for the Lego Batman Movie.  I think there will be a surprise retirement on this some time next year.  

I still have mine in my closet to build some day for the sweet Batmobile and minifigs

Edited by jonnyhanukkah

1 hour ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

I'm a little surprised that this is around with the gigantic crop of Lego Batman Movie sets coming out, including a whole new Batcave for the Lego Batman Movie.  I think there will be a surprise retirement on this some time next year.  

I still have mine in my closet to build some day for the sweet Batmobile and minifigs

A surprise early retirement would do this set the world of good. This is truly a one off indulgence and won't get repeated. Could be a good investment if early retirement comes to pass. I am very happy to have one and love the box artwork. ditto on the car and minifigs. Pity it didn't have Batgirl.

8 minutes ago, Alfiepops said:

A surprise early retirement would do this set the world of good. This is truly a one off indulgence and won't get repeated. Could be a good investment if early retirement comes to pass. I am very happy to have one and love the box artwork. ditto on the car and minifigs. Pity it didn't have Batgirl.

hmmm. i wouldn't bet on this set even with a short retail life if the past is an indicator.  the 2013 arkham breakout's exit after only 2 years of retail didn't really help it's appreciation and now we have an upcoming lego batman movie arkham set coming.  why spend $250 for a 1966 batcave, when a cheaper option will be / is available.

i honestly think far too many lego superhero AFOLs and KFOLs only care about having the latest and greatest versions of vehicles, playsets and minifigs at usually a cheaper price.  while unique and cool, the 1966 batcave is essentially an expensive set that basically just a refresh of popular minifigs, batmobile and the batcave.  now if there were 5+ years between batcave and most included minifigs, then i think this set would be great as an investment. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

hmmm. i wouldn't bet on this set even with a short retail life if the past is an indicator.  the 2013 arkham breakout's exit after only 2 years of retail didn't really help it's appreciation and now we have an upcoming lego batman movie arkham set coming.  why spend $250 for a 1966 batcave, when a cheaper option will be / is available.

i honestly think far too many lego superhero AFOLs and KFOLs only care about having the latest and greatest versions of vehicles, playsets and minifigs at usually a cheaper price.  while unique and cool, the 1966 batcave is essentially an expensive set that basically just a refresh of popular minifigs, batmobile and the batcave.  now if there were 5+ years between batcave and most included minifigs, then i think this set would be great as an investment. 

I and hopefully many other UK and Irish members on here bought one at @ £160 recently so that should act as a bit of a buffer post retirement. Even so, I just like it and only have one for myself so it will be interesting to see what happens down the road. Totally agree with you that most of the Superhero theme is getting tired and sameold sameold although I can make £100+ atm on my UCS Tumblers (bought at £115) which seam to be on the upturn now after a bit of a lull.

1 hour ago, Alfiepops said:

They won´t remake the Batcave? They do that on the same frequency as CITY fire stations.