New here, hi everyone!

Hi! :). I'm new here and new to Lego.  I've gotten sets here and there before but just recently got really into it.  I've been buying a lot with the after holiday sales going on and stores clearing out some older stock now.  And I have a question to ask.  How easy and common is it to find sets marked 50% of msrp throughout the year??  I've purchased a decent amount of sets around 45% and 50% off, plus some at 30% (sets that I wanted more and didn't think I would get with a higher discount).  I definitely got more than I would for this short period of a few weeks, but my thoughts are that these deals won't be like this throughout the year.  Everything I'm getting will be opened (not saved sealed for resale).  So I care about getting a good deal and having a good variety for a personal collection.  However I am considering the possibility  of investing later on, maybe.  Or maybe just selling some of my stuff down the road as used sets, and have them pay for themselves if I could.

Briefly some of the deals: jokerland ($60), Lego movie sets 30% off, lots of Chima for 50% (plus one at 60%) off, friends and elves sets 30-40% off, bionicles 50% off, a few city 30% and 50% off, lots of minecraft 45% off, a few ninjago 30% and some 50% off, and a couple technic 30% off.  All percentages are off msrp, not markup prices.  

So is this crazy or am I getting some good scores??  Is it a good idea to stock up like this now for these prices so I have stuff on hand to last me for a while?  Pretty much, if I saw a set 50% off I bought it.  Good idea?  I was way more selective with the 30% off mark downs.  

I would appreciate any info with my questions or just advice on getting good deals or good places to shop and things to check for/ keep in mind!!!  Thanks :):) 

1 hour ago, justapilgrim said:

It's a wash. For every good deal (jokerland) there is 2 that will take a while to sell (elves, chima). Not every set is a winner, even at 50% off.

Thanks for the input! :)  So not all sets at 50% will be a good deal for reselling- that's good to know.  But what about buying at 50% for personal collection if I have no preference in the set?  Right now I'm trying to stock up a bit so I have some sets to do with my kid.  I just haven't been shopping Lego long enough to know if I'll find half off sales throughout the year  easily or if it's mostly right now because it's after Xmas.  

6 minutes ago, Ash339 said:

Thanks for the input! :)  So not all sets at 50% will be a good deal for reselling- that's good to know.  But what about buying at 50% for personal collection if I have no preference in the set?  Right now I'm trying to stock up a bit so I have some sets to do with my kid.  I just haven't been shopping Lego long enough to know if I'll find half off sales throughout the year  easily or if it's mostly right now because it's after Xmas.  

Welcome. Personal collection 50% off is excellent. You might see clearance twice a year based on the stores near you and their stock policies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Welcome. Personal collection 50% off is excellent. You might see clearance twice a year based on the stores near you and their stock policies.

Awesome thanks! That's very helpful to know:)  plus makes me feel better about how many I've purchased 

there are some sets that I personally would stay away from but other invest in them. Chima  and Ninjago scooby doo, i would stay away from buying more of. Build your style of how you want to invest in and invest around it Not every set will be a winner, there are losers, its like the stock market in many aspects. Be weary of stuff that is on sale. Study a set and try to buy when there is discounts on that set that you have studied before hand. Don't buy a set because there is a 50% discount unless if fits into your style of investing. There will always be other deals to come latter down the road.

I do like the minecraft scores that is a good buy in my option. Microsoft did buy minecraft for alot of money, they will be wanting there money, expect them to start updating the game again in half a year, this will bring in old timer and new players into the undated game. and lego sets related to that will only go up in value. Patch 1.8.8 has been out for over a year now I think. the next patch 1.9.0 should be huge.

Edited by Armor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Armor said:

there are some sets that I personally would stay away from but other invest in them. Chima  and Ninjago scooby doo, i would stay away from buying more of. Build your style of how you want to invest in and invest around it Not every set will be a winner, there are losers, its like the stock market in many aspects. Be weary of stuff that is on sale. Study a set and try to buy when there is discounts on that set that you have studied before hand. Don't buy a set because there is a 50% discount unless if fits into your style of investing. There will always be other deals to come latter down the road.

I do like the minecraft scores that is a good buy in my option. Microsoft did buy minecraft for alot of money, they will be wanting there money, expect them to start updating the game again in half a year, this will bring in old timer and new players into the undated game. and lego sets related to that will only go up in value. Patch 1.8.8 has been out for over a year now I think. the next patch 1.9.0 should be huge.

That's a lot of good information, thank you! :). I definitely have a lot to learn and research to put in.  I never would have thought of the minecraft sets like that, but it makes total sense.  I bought them for personal use but maybe I'll tuck a few away.