Selling custom collection ... advice please...

mikeyreliable

Question

Hi all... I was thinking about selling some pieces from my personal collection and was wondering how one goes about pricing items? I'm not talking sets... I create small displays, film logos, star wars signs... all sorts. Would I price these on a per piece basis with a bit of time on top? Or what is anyone experience with this? If any sets are involved they tend to be to add to the pieces I'm making... All of my signs and logos come with bespoke stands and I only make one of everything... any advice appreciated. Sorry if this is on the wrong place... :) 

6 answers to this question

The value of custom builds comes down to how appealing it looks to others, which is going to come down the individual's taste. Inevitably since they're your own creations, your value on them might be higher than others, so end prices might be hard to swallow, or on the flipside be incredibly surprising and satisfying... The ability to include instructions on how to replicate the model if it were dismantled would be a huge bonus to buyers, but of course would require more time and effort. If you have lots of creations, I might suggest picking one you're not that attached to, figure out approximate cost of bricks, and list it as an auction with a starting price of your brick cost. Test the waters and see how people react, it might help you gauge Buy it Now prices on some of your larger 'more valuable' pieces. 

Never done anything like this myself, but that's my 2c. Good luck! 

I probably have about 50 different ones all types and sizes... am I Barking up the wrong tree and should I be looking at bagging all the bits up and selling the pieces... might just chance some 3 day listing before Xmas... would be perfectly happy to keep these but the grief from the other half is getting too much... no doubt a familiar problem on here

20151218_005622-2.jpg

I probably have about 50 different ones all types and sizes... am I Barking up the wrong tree and should I be looking at bagging all the bits up and selling the pieces... might just chance some 3 day listing before Xmas... would be perfectly happy to keep these but the grief from the other half is getting too much... no doubt a familiar problem on here

Don't know how to reply to individual comments... thanks Mark, guess I've been looking at it long enough and I want to clear out to make room. Tried to post other picks but files seem too large... have counted 54 large builds like these, all custom... mainly a minifigure guy so have lots of little dioramas too... pricing seems impossible haha... hard not to be subjective! And re that link... those prices are crazy... even for the UK!