How the QFLL crushed my Lego dreams

Poly 30286

5 minutes ago, redcell said:

Or in a day.

5 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

it happens x10

I'll pay to see that video!  On topic of the video...If Clutch would have explained to people that the part out value for a few of the Speed Champions is double the MSRP, maybe people (including myself) would have understood why he was "swooping" up the sets.  To be fair to him, the video was kind of taken out of context and people who usually view his videos probably expect this sort of behaviour.  Like him or not, he does offer some useful tips to people who part out sets and even to those who resell.

• Like 2

I found 20 of the trees in a target yesterday.  I bought three (Actually the cashier gave me one for free because she thought any Lego purchase qualified so she wrung up a discount)  .  I bought only three and thought of this thread when I bought them.  I gave one to my daughter to put together and the other two are being stuck away.  I understand the QFLLs on this set but I just didn't see any reason to buy more than a couple for personal use and long term holds.  At $3.49 I am not expecting a huge gain as there is nothing special in the set except my daughters smile when we set it next to the turkey I have on the mantle.  Yes it is the Lego turkey we put up for Thanksgiving.   These are still to be had in the wild and I don't think the QFLL's are making a fortune QFing these. 

• Like 1

I found 20 of the trees in a target yesterday.  I bought three (Actually the cashier gave me one for free because she thought any Lego purchase qualified so she wrung up a discount)  .  I bought only three and thought of this thread when I bought them.  I gave one to my daughter to put together and the other two are being stuck away.  I understand the QFLLs on this set but I just didn't see any reason to buy more than a couple for personal use and long term holds.  At $3.49 I am not expecting a huge gain as there is nothing special in the set except my daughters smile when we set it next to the turkey I have on the mantle.  Yes it is the Lego turkey we put up for Thanksgiving.   These are still to be had in the wild and I don't think the QFLL's are making a fortune QFing these. 

Good for bundling with other Christmas sets in the future.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎54‎:‎21‎, Ed Mack said:

I'll pay to see that video!  On topic of the video...If Clutch would have explained to people that the part out value for a few of the Speed Champions is double the MSRP, maybe people (including myself) would have understood why he was "swooping" up the sets.  To be fair to him, the video was kind of taken out of context and people who usually view his videos probably expect this sort of behaviour.  Like him or not, he does offer some useful tips to people who part out sets and even to those who resell.

I'm dropping in to do my part to help Clutch Behavior Analysis reaches Nico-like proportions.

The impression I get is that "swooping" is an activity specific to Part Out Culture, similar to fanning out bills at the strip club to "make it rain," or Scrooge McDuck swimming in his room full of money. Watch some of Clutch's "haul" videos and you will see a lot of Lego boxes been thrown around (into shopping carts or into backs of cars.) Individual boxes are worthless, and will soon be discarded. The throwing around seems to highlight the large number of bricks being cycled. "Look at me, I'm filthy with LEGO bricks."

Swooping can also be seen as a sign of affection. Watch here as a troop of Clutch minifigs are swooped out of frame by the man himself. What, to the uninformed viewer, might look crass and unceremonious, is quite the opposite. In this context, swooping is a sign of respect:

11 minutes ago, randrace said:

I'm dropping in to do my part to help Clutch Behavior Analysis reaches Nico-like proportions.

The impression I get is that "swooping" is an activity specific to Part Out Culture, similar to fanning out bills at the strip club to "make it rain," or Scrooge McDuck swimming in his room full of money. Watch some of Clutch's "haul" videos and you will see a lot of Lego boxes been thrown around (into shopping carts or into backs of cars.) Individual boxes are worthless, and will soon be discarded. The throwing around seems to highlight the large number of bricks being cycled. "Look at me, I'm filthy with LEGO bricks."

Swooping can also be seen as a sign of affection. Watch here as a troop of Clutch minifigs are swooped out of frame by the man himself. What, to the uninformed viewer, might look crass and unceremonious, is quite the opposite. In this context, swooping is a sign of respect:

https://youtu.be/gcRFKP2GEig

I couldn't make it through the whole video. However, from what I did see, I would be calling them "used". Just my opinion...

• 2 weeks later...

These videos are part of my aggressive LEGO purchasing. This guy lives near me, his galaxy squad swoop happened at my primary TRU. As far as I can tell, he even has employees and/or friends who help him buy up any clearance item around. His BL store is well over 500,000 pieces and he has a warehouse full of parts. He is my most direct competition. He also helps to organize one of the biggest annual LEGO events in the area (no idea if he's compensated for his time) I don't really hold anything against him though, he used to run a blog offering tips on good deals on stuff to part out, etc. sure, he's over the top when it comes to his YouTube videos, but most YouTube videos are over the top anyway..