How the QFLL crushed my Lego dreams

Poly 30286

5 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

So the owner had them all this time and you went to the atm to get the money and someone bought them : talk about bad timing . 

Maybe the owner speaks English, reads this thread, sussed him out as a reseller and decided to keep them out back - some people have their principles. There is something weird about any shop that has unsold stock for so long.

4 hours ago, Ciglione said:

Last week I was at a small toystore in a remoted area and they still had 3 UCS Imperial Shuttles on the shelve for RRP. I was not carrying that amount of cash so I kindly asked the shopowner where was the nearest ATM. When I returned after half an hour they were all gone. The shopowner told me a geeky guy in his mid-thirties entered the shop and bought them all. Must have been some QFLL I am affraid.

p.s. I really really believe in Santa and the ole Christmas spirit. 

I don't think anyone's going to offer to send you one for free. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ciglione said: Last week I was at a small toystore in a remoted area and they still had 3 UCS Imperial Shuttles on the shelve for RRP. I was not carrying that amount of cash so I kindly asked the shopowner where was the nearest ATM. When I returned after half an hour they were all gone. The shopowner told me a geeky guy in his mid-thirties entered the shop and bought them all. Must have been some QFLL I am affraid.

p.s. I really really believe in Santa and the ole Christmas spirit. 

I don't think anyone's going to offer to send you one for free. ;)

I would have sent one to him for free for one of those 10212's he found today, but he just *had* to come to the shop unprepared. Lol

4 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

Maybe the owner speaks English, reads this thread, sussed him out as a reseller and decided to keep them out back - some people have their principles. There is something weird about any shop that has unsold stock for so long.

I think it's time for u to know.....there's no Santa....

That video is a little disturbing. While I don't mind people clearing a shelf of an item because I do it myself from time to time, does he really need to be such a ****** as he does it? Seriously, who is so full of themselves that they need to make a video like this? What's the point, other than to get a rise out of people and to inflate their own ego? 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

That video is a little disturbing. While I don't mind people clearing a shelf of an item because I do it myself from time to time, does he really need to be such a ****** as he does it? Seriously, who is so full of themselves that they need to make a video like this? What's the point, other than to get a rise out of people and to inflate their own ego? 

...and because they love their public so much, they've made about 25 videos.

8 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

Good thing about the internet: anyone can get public attention.

Bad thing about the internet: anyone can get public attention.

That douchenozzle also seems like the type of douchnozzle that would say something brilliant along the lines of "U Mad Brah?" when called out on his douchenozzleness

Edited by MarxMarvelous

7 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

This is how I imagine a lot of the members here look as they clear the stores of Amiibos, LEGO sets, and whatever else the hot item of the day is.  At the very least SupraBoy looks like this.

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎34‎:‎15‎, terrymc4677 said:

I think one of those guys is Bricksonthedollar and he has a big brinklink store.

1 hour ago, Pokeshop said:

21113 Delorean, or Tardis would be great!  NVM, I think the Tardis lego will be Quick Flipped.

You aren't kidding about the Delorean.  This week, I decided to let go of a few of my holdings from 2013.  2 Deloreans made me 150.00 profit after all fees/taxes/shipping costs were deducted.  I still have a couple more left and think i'll hold onto them for a year or two.  2 burj khalifas netted me 160, this set i'm on the fence about because with a new one coming down the pipe, i'm not sure it stays at this price point very much longer, although my buy in on these was 18.00 and I still have a few more left from that period in time.   I haven't even begun to ramp up on a whole slew of other sets from 2012 to 2013 that i'm planning on blowing out over the next week. 

At this point, the bubble I think is somewhat real, but on the same token, I also think there are quite a few gems retiring right now in 2015 that will behave like this next year.  When you can still make 3x from lego, it's hard to say the bubble is bursting, but I think QFLLin' is definitely an increasing problem, and it's causing an artificial glut on many sets.  

I still would rather play the low and slow game. 

Edited by fossilrock

On 11/21/2015, 4:45:43, Alpinemaps said:

Quite the opposite. When I'm logical about the investments I make I do quite well. When I'm emotional and make rash, illogical decisions - that's when I fail.

Similar here. I'm growing my collection / inventory by a fixed amount each month, plus reinvesting sales revenues. I have a short list of specific sets I'm buying currently and the total number I want of each; once I'm stocked up I move to the next one(s) on the list. I've missed out on a couple of deals / steals because of it, but I'd rather stick to a plan and tweak it so it's successful than be impulsive.

Time will tell if I'm making good picks, but at least I can have the confidence I'm following a plan that can be improved instead of just chasing what's shiny.

On 11/21/2015, 4:45:43, Alpinemaps said: Quite the opposite. When I'm logical about the investments I make I do quite well. When I'm emotional and make rash, illogical decisions - that's when I fail.

Similar here. I'm growing my collection / inventory by a fixed amount each month, plus reinvesting sales revenues. I have a short list of specific sets I'm buying currently and the total number I want of each; once I'm stocked up I move to the next one(s) on the list. I've missed out on a couple of deals / steals because of it, but I'd rather stick to a plan and tweak it so it's successful than be impulsive.

Time will tell if I'm making good picks, but at least I can have the confidence I'm following a plan that can be improved instead of just chasing what's shiny.

I would also recommend having cash on hand for days like yesterday. You never know when days like that will come, sometimes we only get one or two of those opportunities per year.

I would also recommend having cash on hand for days like yesterday. You never know when days like that will come, sometimes we only get one or two of those opportunities per year.

Yep, a flexible cash reserve is something I need to build up so I can take advantage of good opportunities -- I'm looking at these LEGO Shop at Home Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals and weighing whether I want to deviate or put in a little extra this month.

I think I've also rationalized the approach I'm taking as a good fit for where I am in my Lego investor journey. I've just started and am very much playing the role of QFLL right now to keep up cashflow and accelerate growth. Buying plan currently is split about 80/20 between quick flip inventory and long term growth holdings.

I'm potentially taking smaller returns as QFLL, but the benefits of faster inventory turnover (less storage!), better cashflow, and the emotional relief of making even small amounts of money instead of having boxes and bags sitting on a shelf waiting for someday are worth it to me.

• Like 3

On 11/21/2015, 4:45:43, Alpinemaps said: Quite the opposite. When I'm logical about the investments I make I do quite well. When I'm emotional and make rash, illogical decisions - that's when I fail.

Similar here. I'm growing my collection / inventory by a fixed amount each month, plus reinvesting sales revenues. I have a short list of specific sets I'm buying currently and the total number I want of each; once I'm stocked up I move to the next one(s) on the list. I've missed out on a couple of deals / steals because of it, but I'd rather stick to a plan and tweak it so it's successful than be impulsive. Time will tell if I'm making good picks, but at least I can have the confidence I'm following a plan that can be improved instead of just chasing what's shiny.

True. But at the same time, those days do come. If you missed out this time, it will happen again. I know I would feel the same whether I bought big yesterday or had already used my budget for the month prior to yesterday. I'd feel the same if I blew through my budget yesterday and didn't have anything left over for this weekend.

The point I'm trying to make for anyone that missed out yesterday is that other opportunities will arise, so if you didn't have the ability to participate yesterday you'll get another chance some other time.

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎41‎:‎13‎, fuzzy_bricks said:
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎34‎:‎15‎, terrymc4677 said:
I think one of those guys is Bricksonthedollar and he has a big brinklink store.

So he's clearing the shelves of sets 10% off the retail price? I love the way he's all c0cky and full of himself, all for a couple of bucks profit here and there.

• Like 1