Buyer did not receive item

seapotato

I had an international buyer claim they did not receive the item after about 10 weeks and is asking for a refund. I don't have a tracking number since that would have cost so much from Canada to overseas. It is a new buyer, dont rememeber if the had any feedback. It couls have gotten lost I guess. Am I basically out my money since I can't provide tracking?

If it was 10 weeks ago (70 days) I think they might have trouble, at least claiming through paypal. Paypal claims must be started in 45 days after payment, so in this case I don't think they'll have any avenue to get their money back. I'm assuming it was an ebay sale - not sure what amazon requirements would have been.

I dabbled in overseas shipping when I first started out and I only needed to learn this lesson once before I stopped ever shipping anything without a tracking number. Just too dangerous for the seller. I think you were lucky (this time) in that they have probably let the time limit lapse, but there is nothing stopping a buyer from agreeing to surface shipping from Canada and simply filing a claim before 45 days are up. Then they get the money, and your Lego! 

I tell buyers to get a parcel delivery service in CAN/US to get the item and then ship it overseas, so that my responsibility is to simply ship it within North America with a tracking number and then the burden falls on another company to get it elsewhere.

GSP is the way to go if available. The sellers only responsibility is getting the item to the distribution center. As long as you have that delivery confirmation nothing else that happens is your problem. Ebay takes responsibility. I had a major problem with a GSP item one time where they sent the wrong item to my buyer. I bore no responsibility and ebay took care of it.