Help Wanted: Brickpicker News Team

9 hours ago, KShine said:

I'm not anti Lego investing - I just can't stand watching it get recklessly destroyed.

It's all perspective.  From your viewpoint of a long time, pre-BrickPicker reseller, our presence has been a detriment to your business.  You and a handful of other members have a gripe and I get it.  That being said, there are thousands of new people that can thank BrickPicker for helping them make money from LEGO sets and reselling them.  We just try to put out a quality site with useful information and let it roll.  Where it ends up is anybody's guess.  

There is more to this than just typing up content.  There may be those of you out there that like to do video content.  That would be great as well.  I am already talking with members here that are interested, but this can be open to everyone.  You can post Brickpicker branded video content that will be posted on the Brickpicker Youtube Channel and share revenue on views/clicks, etc.    Some of you might be better at speaking and showing or just be outright entertaining.  We can put your videos in front of millions of unique visitors a year and allow your voice to be heard.  I know there are those of you out there that like to do the stop motion movies, builds, reviews, commentaries or maybe even a news broadcast from retail stores. There are lots of interesting things to do with a decent sized audience at your disposal.  It could be very interesting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

What happened to the other Non-BP created content on the front page?  You guys are moving fast on this plan.

the news page still exists, not going to get rid of it. But other peoples content will not be on the BP homepage.  It will not be crawled or indexed by the search engines anymore either.

http://www.brickpicker.com/news/

8 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

So, how can I start submitting content? I've already got two quick polybag news bits to right up.

It won't be earthshaking but it will at least get some content going.

You should still be part of the Writers Group.  Go to the Blog Section: http://community.brickpicker.com/blog and you should see a bluish/green button to make a new blog post.  Select LEGO News and type a way just like you do a forum post.  Make sure you include a photo, where you see it say image at the bottom. 

That is about it.  Very simple.

If you are not seeing the Post new article button, send me a PM and we will sort it out there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bricketycricket said:

I would be happy to write reviews for any (large exclusive) sets that are provided to me. :P

This might be one form of payment for future video reviews and smaller set reviews.  If people will send us a sample of what we can expect from them in video form or written form, we might be able to work out a deal with qualified individuals.  As Jeff stated earlier, we would like to do a BrickPicker Youtube channel in which the site is promoted and the video creator is rewarded with affiliate advertising dollars.  Believe me, people make big money off those videos if they are well done and/or interesting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Okay, first polybag article submitted.  :)

Great article; I liked that it included an investment aspect, which most other news outlets rarely, if ever, touch.

I am disappointed that it didn't include any reference to the Fire Bike resemblance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Okay, first polybag article submitted.  :)

Perfect.  This is the type of content that we are looking for.  Short and to the point.  New info.  We can mix this type in with longer, more in depth reviews, videos and analysis and we will have the best news on the web.  

• Like 1

I just wrote a second article today.  Guys - this really doesn't take a long time to submit something.  Even with pulling down a photo, and linking to BrickPicker pages, it took maybe 10-15 minutes to write up a short news article.

For those of you that talk about giving back to the site - I realize transferring funds via PayPal for a yearly subscription seems like the easiest way to help out.  But this is a very easy way to give back to the site.  The more exposure that BrickPicker gets on Google, the more clickthrus it receives, and the more money back into their pocket.

Please consider taking even a few minutes to contribute a new item, or an analysis, or some other original content.

• Like 3

I'd be more than happy to provide content. There are a couple recent news posts from my Facebook page, LEGO Maniac USA, that I'd be happy to share with Brickpicker to help get the ball rolling on the new format. If you want a sample of my writing other than what is on the FB page I'd be happy to submit something. I should also be good for a few articles a month and some occasional news updates throughout the week.

• Like 1

I'd be more than happy to provide content. There are a couple recent news posts from my Facebook page, LEGO Maniac USA, that I'd be happy to share with Brickpicker to help get the ball rolling on the new format. If you want a sample of my writing other than what is on the FB page I'd be happy to submit something. I should also be good for a few articles a month and some occasional news updates throughout the week.

Looks good. I'll have Jeff open up the blog groups for you.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Maybe an article that explains the difference between investing and hoarding, for those spouses that begin to worry that their nest egg is being spent on children's toys.

Lol! I need this article to show my husband. I am NOT a hoarder!