9476 - The Orc Forge

M4x18

It is. And alternatively if you leave it too long and the value skyrockets, it is hard to justify opening it. But then if you sell it, there is this empty space where the Lego once was.....

Exactly! but then you get to more more Lego with your profits! :)

And then the vicious cycle starts again :(

It is. And alternatively if you leave it too long and the value skyrockets, it is hard to justify opening it. But then if you sell it, there is this empty space where the Lego once was.....

I am all too familiar with sellers remorse after selling a set but a new investing cash infusion feels good though doesn't it?

I am all too familiar with sellers remorse after selling a set but a new investing cash infusion feels good though doesn't it?

It does feel good especially when you use the money to buy sets you open. (:

I have a Target that's 3 minutes away and online it says that this set is "in stock". I was pretty sure I was going to invest in this set but I'm kind'f having second thoughts about it. Just wandering if you guys think its a good investment or if there's another set in the $40-$50 range that's easy to get hold of and a better investment?

I say only invest if you can get it 30$ or below

Alternately, if he can't find one and misses out altogether, he'll be wish he had bought retail when the price jumps through the roof in two or three years. :/

by this logic he should buy EVERY set on retail because price CAN jump 2 or 3 tiems in a year or 2 after EOL.

pointless way of thinking.

I guess his 40$ is better of saving on Pirate ship or buying Mines of Moria.

Orc forge is nice but if he does not plan to keep it for a rather long time retail price will not be worth it. believe me I bought it on retail and i hate myself for doing it.

Might do better pairing it with Tower of Orthanc but still not much better.

mines of moria better than orc forge?

nearly 800 pieces and 6/7 exclusive minifigures (ok 5/7 if we now exclude Legolas coming in Pirate Ship Ambush)

VS

nearly 400 pieces and 1/4 exclusive minifigures and white hand mark for 40$

I think the amount of exclusives go clearly in Mines ofMoria favor and we are yet to count in Epicness of a TROLL and the fact that Mines of Moria bricks are more useful than Orc Forge ones overall.

We are talking about something that hasn't eol'd yet as if the writing is on the wall, we do not know this set will do. No, it probably isn't wise to dump a bunch of money into an MSRP set that isn't very large, but that isn't to say it won't do well. There are a lot of reasons why this set could very well in the secondary market, but we are fairly certain it won't be around much longer so if its something that needs moved on, time is running out. There is always the 90 lookback for target purchases, he will have plenty of time to return them if there is buyers remorse. I bought one at 10% off and I was second guessing myself the whole time, I have had time to process everything and I am very happy with my choice.

Problem is people ask question if it is worth purchasing something but do not tell us details of their disposable income. Is 40$ all he has left for LEGO or is that just a question what to do for another 40$ out of his 5000$ worth for purchasing. There are sets out there that will do better than Orc Forge and sets that will do worse, ofcourse, BUT Mines of Moria is a set I think its better buying (more discounted) than Orc Forge And that is just staying inside the LOTR line. He on contrary asked a very private question starting with ''SHOULD I invest'' It is impossible answering such question because we do not know his life situation and income. If he would ask ''Do you think Orc Forge would do ok as investment?'' we would all say yes and move on...

Problem is people ask question if it is worth purchasing something but do not tell us details of their disposable income.

Is 40$ all he has left for LEGO or is that just a question what to do for another 40$ out of his 5000$ worth for purchasing.

There are sets out there that will do better than Orc Forge and sets that will do worse, ofcourse, BUT Mines of Moria is a set I think its better buying (more discounted) than Orc Forge

And that is just staying inside the LOTR line.

He on contrary asked a very private question starting with ''SHOULD I invest''

It is impossible answering such question because we do not know his life situation and income.

If he would ask

''Do you think Orc Forge would do ok as investment?''

we would all say yes and move on...

...and closed the post :-)

Problem is people ask question if it is worth purchasing something but do not tell us details of their disposable income.

Is 40$ all he has left for LEGO or is that just a question what to do for another 40$ out of his 5000$ worth for purchasing.

There are sets out there that will do better than Orc Forge and sets that will do worse, ofcourse, BUT Mines of Moria is a set I think its better buying (more discounted) than Orc Forge

And that is just staying inside the LOTR line.

He on contrary asked a very private question starting with ''SHOULD I invest''

It is impossible answering such question because we do not know his life situation and income.

If he would ask

''Do you think Orc Forge would do ok as investment?''

we would all say yes and move on...

then, to those who don't have money problems, advice buy both

then, to those who don't have money problems, advice buy both

No, to those who do not have money problems I advice to buy bigger and more expensive sets :)

Those who can spend 10.000$+ for LEGO can also keep sets for longer and probably have less space issues so they can afford bigger sets, instead of dealing with medium-small sets.

great topic and discussion guys! IMO, I'd say Orc Forge is a great set to invest in, however i think it may still be around when Isengard and the LOTR Pirate Ship are released. At that time, I can say there will be at least a few other LOTR sets that have been retired. So my advice is to maybe hold off on Forge and take a look at whats retiring right now. Believe me, Target isnt going to let go of Orc Forge right now, especially after losing their big seller, Zombies so fast. Here is a pro tip many of you may know but for those who dont: The best way to tell if Orc Forge is retiring is check the Target tag in the isle. If its retiring within the next 3 or so months the tag will have a printed "NCF" on it. which means not carry forward. This method is accurate with Lego Target exclusives. We figured out zombies was retiring or whatever because the sticker at target had a NCF label on it within about 6 months of release which was completely weird!

• 5 months later...