75144 - UCS: Snowspeeder

oneknightr

Yes, I personally like the look and design of this set, as well.  I never bought the original Snowspeeder, nor was I going to pay a couple grand for itbut, I can already see that this will be a great build and will probably buy this one a year or so from now during next springs 2x VIP event.  Although, I hope the cockpit is printed, and not a sticker like it was in the Red Five build.  That thing was by far the most annoying sticker of all time, because if you didn't get it right the first time you ruined it. 

Last year was a bit of a letdown, because there wasn't really any sets of this nature and the Death Star and Assault on Hoth set the stage for a mostly negative year of rotten tomatoes being tossed at the brand. 

Honestly, people can harp saying they want other ships made, and while I don't disagree, most of those ships are not going to capture people's attention.  Star Destroyers, Tie Fighters, Millennium Falcon, Snowspeeders, AT-AT's, and X-wings are the corest of the core.   And sure they could venture out into other arenas like the A-wing, Republic Gunship, Jabba's Sail Barge, or half those other prequel ships that are not as iconic, but I don't see them cranking out UCS sets for many of those. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

So that means 200 in Germany and 220-230 in TLG taxed countries.  If I can get it for 120 or less that´s fine but not a penny more.

I'm afraid it will turn out that way for the Dutch/Belgium price level. Just like the UCS TIE Fighter which costs €200 in Germany and €230 in The Netherlands. :( 

Which also means that the cheapest way to get it here will be TRU.nl when they have a 20% discount on Lego Star Wars, while retaining the German RRP on the sets offered. 

10 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Same as Red 5 ... which really makes that set seem like a bargain now.  I wonder if this will struggle to sell at that price point, too.  TIE is $199 but constantly discounted.  I think this will be on sale a lot, too.

Has the Slave 1 ever been discounted?  I haven't really paid much attention, as i'm kind of a 3 MIB's and out guy when it comes to investing in Star Wars UCS sets. 

Also, I think with the release of this set, it will probably spur an uptick in demand for those that didn't get Red 5.  I really think the lack of a vehicle set may have set back people's demand on the UCS brand, but this set will spur back the activity. 

I personally think at 199.99 this set is worth it.  I think the Tie's biggest problem is the blocky body makes it look too rough.  They should have developed newer bricks for the Tie, and that's the biggest problem with that set.  It still feels like a set that needs more work and design, whereas when I look at the Red 5, Slave 1, or even this set, and I feel you are getting an "ultimate build". 

6 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Has the Slave 1 ever been discounted?  I haven't really paid much attention, as i'm kind of a 3 MIB's and out guy when it comes to investing in Star Wars UCS sets. 

Also, I think with the release of this set, it will probably spur an uptick in demand for those that didn't get Red 5.  I really think the lack of a vehicle set may have set back people's demand on the UCS brand, but this set will spur back the activity. 

I personally think at 199.99 this set is worth it.  I think the Tie's biggest problem is the blocky body makes it look too rough.  They should have developed newer bricks for the Tie, and that's the biggest problem with that set.  It still feels like a set that needs more work and design, whereas when I look at the Red 5, Slave 1, or even this set, and I feel you are getting an "ultimate build". 

Slave 1 had a nice run where 20%, 15%, 10% coupons were being used at TRU with Truth and Gift cards as they started to appear on shelves of some higher inventory level stores. SO there are a few folks that got in at 140-160. I wouldn't think it was rampant though. Not a market changer like the more frequent (and easy to find online) discounts on TIE.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

Slave 1 had a nice run where 20%, 15%, 10% coupons were being used at TRU with Truth and Gift cards as they started to appear on shelves of some higher inventory level stores. SO there are a few folks that got in at 140-160. I wouldn't think it was rampant though. Not a market changer like the more frequent (and easy to find online) discounts on TIE.

Yeah, I picked up a few during that time but now with discounts being more prevalent it was probably a waste of time and capital ... nice signature line, btw. 

44 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Although, I hope the cockpit is printed, and not a sticker like it was in the Red Five build.  That thing was by far the most annoying sticker of all time, because if you didn't get it right the first time you ruined it. 

I'm afraid it looks like stickers have been used:

58a47373421b0_Lego75144stickers.jpg.f171c2ff1243895d91b128ba1538a5e5.jpg

15 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

But that's not a direct discount like the UCS Tie received... Personally, I don't think the Slave 1 has ever been discounted in Canada at all. IIRC the UCS Tie got a direct 20% off but nothing more than that...

Thumbs up from me. Will be a day 1 purchase for personal build and will get a few to put away in future May 4th events.  It's a great design, and a true UCS set in the same vein as the older sets (i.e. not like AOH).  Not a compete remake, like DS, hence the value of the original won't collapse overnight and thus annoy those people who pulled the trigger and paid a small fortune (although there will likely be less demand for the old one, so could see prices soften.  If it does, then it would give me an opportunity to get one, since I want the full collection!). 

Some people will always moan and are never happy.  you know who you are!