40138 - Holiday Train

Loghamel

2 hours ago, MagicShop said:

Hi, can we get this mounted on a rail?

Would be nice to have a seasonal train running around the christhmas table :D

There's already a minifig-scale seasonal train that can be motorized: 10173.

By the way, I like your LEGO-Planeswalker avatar!

Edited by Brian Briggs
Embedding of the video didn't work as intended.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MagicShop said:
6 hours ago, Brian Briggs said:
There's already a minifig-scale seasonal train that can be motorized: 10173.

By the way, I like your LEGO-Planeswalker avatar!

Having the 40138 would be nice to get it on the tracks.

The scale of the train will make it impossible to motorize. You'd have to build a larger model which someone probably will eventually..

The only way you'll get it on the tracks as is would be to load it up as cargo on a larger train's flatbeds. ;)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lego_Yoda said:

Does this promo seem like a good one to hold onto or is it more of a quick flip to offset your order cost?  Any more opinions on which will do better (this or the Gingerbread house) in the secondary/ebay market?

I originally thought the GH would be better as it was only supposed to be for Thanksgiving weekend but now it's gonna be available in Europe for about a month. I think that will kill it. As for the HT, I'm not selling any HT below $30 so, mine can keep just fine...

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

What a lego store employee told me (seattle): they got about 200 boxes of the trains, and as of last week we're halfway through their 10th box. No clue how many in a box 

Interesting. Looks like they greatly misinterpreted demand in different areas, and didn't distribute correctly for that demand. I was at my Lego store in Vancouver last Thursday and they were entirely out of trains. I wasn't too fussed, cause someone at LEGO Shop at Home messed up on my last order (of 7) and chucked in 3 trains for that 1 order.... one more would've been sweet though.  

10 hours ago, dcdfan said:

I originally thought the GH would be better as it was only supposed to be for Thanksgiving weekend but now it's gonna be available in Europe for about a month. I think that will kill it. As for the HT, I'm not selling any HT below $30 so, mine can keep just fine...

On the other hand, the minimum order amount for a HT is less than the minimum amount for the GH. That means it's slightly easier for people to get more HT sets. 

Any way, most likely TLG has produced the same number of GH boxes as HT boxes. So they'll have about the same scarcity. Or lack of scarcity...

33 minutes ago, Haay said:

In Europe the Holiday Train gets still added to an applicable order in the Shop at Home. Just tried it here.

Not in US.  Oddly (or not depending on your opinion of the LEGO Shop at Home IT Dept), when you check out, it still has the free train banner, but it's not added to cart.

21 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Not in US.  Oddly (or not depending on your opinion of the LEGO Shop at Home IT Dept), when you check out, it still has the free train banner, but it's not added to cart.

Probably just recently sold out and they haven't removed the banner yet. It was available late last night.

3 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

Probably just recently sold out and they haven't removed the banner yet. It was available late last night.

Yeah, but removing that banner would take less than 5 taps on the keyboard if you have the code open.

I mean, for a ma and pops store, sure, I can see it taking a bit.  But for the #1 toy manufacturer in the world, you would think they would have things a bit more coordinated.

11 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Yeah, but removing that banner would take less than 5 taps on the keyboard if you have the code open.

I mean, for a ma and pops store, sure, I can see it taking a bit.  But for the #1 toy manufacturer in the world, you would think they would have things a bit more coordinated.

Yeah, well, they are actually awful.

4 minutes ago, trekgate502 said:

It's gone and it's doing well

I've got 9 and, as mentioned by another poster earlier, I'm not selling for less than $30.  I really like this set and its box is fantastic.  If I can't sell them for more than $30, I'll give them to the kids we 'adopt' for the holidays.

• Like 2

On November 2, 2015 5:47:43 PM, Lego_Yoda said:

Does this promo seem like a good one to hold onto or is it more of a quick flip to offset your order cost?  Any more opinions on which will do better (this or the Gingerbread house) in the secondary/ebay market?

I blew one out the other day for 24, and think it may have been a bit of a premature blow out, but ohh well, made the one set I bought cost less.  I still have a few more of these.  Where do you think this will go?  It doesn't have an obscene amount of resellers, but I got to admit, i'm not really into this seasonal stuff.  It's a market i'm trying to get but i'm not sure I care much to try getting deep into seasonal themed sets.  I realize it has one of the best cagr's but it just seems like that ship is sailing.

Thanksgiving feast is a perfect example.  I'm not around a lego store, so I can only buy 5 through S&H.  I didn't.. but right now, unless you are buying a ton and sending them to FBA to get in the BB, it's really not worth trying to race the bottom feeders on Amazon as it's currently hovering around 14, which doesn't cover the costs..  PEE is another one where I didn't flip fast enough and now i'm stuck holding it. So I really don't want to be stuck with these trains past this year, but is that a bad call?  Will they rise well beyond some price next year?  Or just hover around 30 and that will be it?  

I'm definitely over buying the seasonal sets as any sort of investment.   If there's one investment strategy to shed, it's my thoughts on seasonal sets.  Free promos, great.  But, even at that very few free promos over this year were worth anything good.  Perhaps the best one was winter soldier.  I think I blew those out around 18 or so when the getting was good.  But, if this gets to where I can clear 25 in the next few weeks, these are gone.

Edited by fossilrock