75827 - Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

P_R_Rice

1. If this is happening, we have no idea if the designer was paid or not paid for the idea.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was an NDA in place long before this, and payout to the designer already.  I'm sure there's some sort of language in the Ideas submission process to cover this.

2. Movie is being remade, so there's going to be some extra push on the franchise in 2016.  You can't argue that Ecto-1 isn't a popular set, so it makes a lot of sense if this does happen.

Well if the submitter got paid etc then no doubt you are correct.  I am saying if they didn't pay him and just blew him off and released this...they would be hearing from me.

I would never argue that Ecto -1 isn't a popular...who in their right mind would even say something so dumb.  People love Ghostbusters...

I am pretty sure Ecto-2 was a helicopter in the cartoon series

It was. Man I played with that toy like crazy. You had a trigger to make the blades spin and there was a working winch. Good times.

The cartoon Egon looked nothing like his movie counterpart

He didn't because if they had then there would be fees owed towards the original actor and some other litigations I have no idea about. For all intents and purposes, they did capture the essential likenesses and attitudes of the characters. Interestingly Ernie Hudson actually wanted to replay his role for the cartoon but they went with Arsenio Hall instead.

• Like 1

just2good is a member here, maybe they'll come by and post more. 

There's no way they re-release the Fire Brigade and slap a Ghostbusters logo on it. This will be more like Haunted House IMO - standalone but you could add into a modular lineup if you make a few modifications. 

Never underestimate TLG!

For lack of a better place at the moment, here's a post about the fallout from this "discovery" ..

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/381034/#Comment_381034

Warning, there is a LOT of potential set names revealed. If you don't like spoilers, don't go!

Part of me belives this because of the person who leaked it but most of me calls BS because of the piece count and price. Do you really think TLG is gonna drop the 3rd largest Lego set EVER in an area that doesn't even have a theme? I don't.

• Like 2

Part of me belives this because of the person who leaked it but most of me calls BS because of the piece count and price. Do you really think TLG is gonna drop the 3rd largest Lego set EVER in an area that doesn't even have a theme? I don't.

The set names and numbers seem legit since they've been harvested from LEGO directly but the piece counts and prices are still just rumors.

The thing that makes me go hmmmmm is that the firehouse would have to be sizable to park the ideas ecto-1 inside. If you look at the the little engine that comes with FB the e1 is twice the size.

I'm also not seeing the new Death Star set name that is also supposed to be coming out ..

3rd largest by what? Weight? Don't think so. Half of those pieces (or more) might be 1x1 tiles and Technic pins. Also since IDEAS functions as a market research, there is clear demand for a set like this plus the new movie is coming. Timing is good. Well, at least it will probably sell more than SOH. 

Current 3rd largest Lego set EVER is TB (does it have a theme?) for $110 less and around 300 less pieces. Perhaps less technic pins and 1x1 tiles then expected. It will be interesting to compare the PPG. 

I briefly looked at producing kits of the Brent Waller version, but the piece count was too high.  @gregpj is correct - the only way to do the building in the correct scale to fit the Ecto-1 requires a ton of bricks for the walls.  I think this will not be like Tower Bridge with 500 tan cheese inflating the part count.  I think it will be mostly brick, which means it will be heavy.  I hope the piece count rumor is correct.  Can't wait.

The piece count could work.  The set could be highly detailed and finished on all four sides, unlike the Modulars.  It could also have a super detailed interior.  I would love to see it, but I have to wonder if there are not better models to invest 4600 pieces into.  

Like a UCS Falcon or ISD? What with the 3000 piece technic car, it seems the trend is moving towards very big sets - just what some of us have been waiting for.

• Like 1

Like a UCS Falcon or ISD? What with the 3000 piece technic car, it seems the trend is moving towards very big sets - just what some of us have been waiting for.

There are some large sets, but how many people really say they just have to have a replica of the Ghostbusters Headquarters?  I'm not knocking it, just saying it is not an iconic building or landmark.  Large sets stick around for awhile and to make this set one of the biggest in LEGO history is a bit overkill IMO.

• Like 3

There are some large sets, but how many people really say they just have to have a replica of the Ghostbusters Headquarters?  I'm not knocking it, just saying it is not an iconic building or landmark.  Large sets stick around for awhile and to make this set one of the biggest in LEGO history is a bit overkill IMO.

I'm one of those that would buy it. But I saw it in the theater quite a few times in 1984.

Here is something else to consider - maybe the license holder came to Lego and dumped enough money on them to make them interested. With a movie coming next year, they could want to make a big push for merchandise.

Ecto designer´s take on the news (source Eurobricks):

Brent Waller here, Ghostbusters set project creator, I've more or less said the below elsewhere but for the record this is the first I've heard of this, but that doesn't mean it's not true however. I knew nothing of Ghostbusters appearing in LEGO Dimensions, any more than the rumours and speculation from the community.
There's several reasons it could be true.

• New movie coming out will boost the popularity of the IP
  • Ghostbusters will be "out there" in the public eye even more early next year due to the inclusion in LEGO Dimensions
  • Large one-offs have been proven to be good sellers, Simpsons House, Kwik-E-Mart, Haunted House etc
  • Ecto-1 set has been very popular, that combined with the new movie coming out

There's also several reasons it may not be

• It's bloody massive
  • Ecto-1 has been round a while now, in all likelihood it won't be on the shelves anymore in late 2016 if the Delorean is any guide. Seems like to make the most out of the HQ you'd ideally want both on the shelves together. Though I guess they could either extend production of the car or include it or a variant of it with the HQ
  • Releasing a set associated with the old films could be counter to the interests of any potential sets coming out for the new film. I mention this because I have heard rumours of this happening, not through LEGO though, through retailers so take that for what it's worth. This point could also be viewed as a positive I guess, just creating exposure for all forms of Ghostbusters.
  • The core concept (HQ) was rejected from LEGO Ideas twice. Though to be fair the Ideas platform has been proven to not be a good place to produce large sets.
  • It's bloody massive

Adding onto these points, bouncing off some of the things said in this thread. It kinda sucks myself and Sergio Hernacias (who did the stand alone HQ on Ideas) had nothing to do with this but who knows what's gone on behind the scenes, this could have been in the works since the Ideas set of mine passed review. I'd be nice if LEGO sent us both some sets though *subtle hint* It doesn't really bother me though, I'm more excited that it's (potentially) going to happen! I was personally going to disassemble my own HQ in favour of building Sergios has his has a full interior (though I'd keep my dark red colour scheme over the nougat/orange he used), so a REAL HQ set coming out I will be all over.

I've heard rumours through retailers (not LEGO themselves) about a line of Ghostbusters sets coming in 2016 for the new film so this could potentially be the equivalent of the Haunted House set to the Monster Fighters line, which makes sense, the HH proved popular even without a licensed attached (it was the only MF set I bought personally) so attaching the GB licensed to a big set like that is a no brainer from a business point of view.

LEGO is very secretive about their upcoming sets so it's understandable myself or Sergio (I haven't spoken to him about this personally yet so I'm not speaking for him) haven't been notified of this. There's a lot of legalities involved with various IP holders, retailers etc etc that it makes no sense to involve a outsider who has no real input to the process, we've seen more and more leaks in the past few years than ever before which is even more reason to be tighter with this kind of info.

As for the interior vs none comments, I see no point in going halfway with this type of set. I'd aimed at adults and collectors and anything short of complete is not going to cut it for something as iconic as the HQ. Unlike the various batcaves that have been released this I can't see being aimed at kids. It wouldn't surprise me if the HQ
chinese restaurant from the new film is released as a playset however.

• Like 1