70413 - Brick Bounty

mike1985

You need to wait for one to come up on auction or for a QFLL to list one as they go fast at those prices. Our member Mauro has been selling them for less than RRP, he may have some left.

The problem with estimating medium term gains is that there are currently 5 or 6 sellers with multiples available for less than 100 plus shipping and none are selling at that price. For any decent appreciation to take place, these have to be selling a lot faster than that all year round to blow out the QFLL stock. Xmas demand alone won´t do it. Christ, even amazon.de has a whole load of them for under 100!

Sets that don´t get a  post EOL bump in price above rrp, tend not to be long term winners either and less so with the current state of the market - see 70146, 10245, 21017

Edited by Val-E

I can see this boat going up to about 10% above MSRP (110-120€ depending on where you live), but not much more. I've picked up two for around 80€.

It is very likely that there will be new Pirates of the Caribbean Lego next year with the new movie, so I wouldn't keep these sitting around for too long.

• Like 2

EU there is still a lot of stock in retail stores, so whilst it is Lego ”retired” it’s not gone.  It’s hard to see any appreciation when anyone can order one via Tesco online.  Increasingly (in the UK) we’re seeing this, Lego retired doesn’t necessarily mean unavailable.  

34 minutes ago, feed said:

EU there is still a lot of stock in retail stores, so whilst it is Lego ”retired” it’s not gone.  It’s hard to see any appreciation when anyone can order one via Tesco online.  Increasingly (in the UK) we’re seeing this, Lego retired doesn’t necessarily mean unavailable.  

Thats right, reminds me of people struggling to sell 21007's at over RRP and now they are £90 each.With most sets you should wait at least a year after they vanish from stores to see maximum benefits.

2 hours ago, feed said:

Why is there so much stock?

15 hours ago, Val-E said:

Why is there so much stock?

I have no idea how much stock is left.  For me a better question is, why did a large UK retail toy store collect a bunch of Lego retired sets (some of which they didn’t previous stock) to list them at RRP even though they are classed as retired.  This is the end of life stock that normally would have been heavy discounted just to get it off the shelf.  So ether they got the stock at an amazing price or they knew it’d sell, sooner or later, for retail, no discount required.  

This, for me, is the changing face of Lego sales in the UK, fewer discounts and longer set availability, irrespective of retired status.  

And this isn't the only example, John Lewis, for instance, had Santas workshop at retail up until a few weeks ago.   In prior years this would have been discounted at end Q1.   Lego retired status, isn't meaningless, but it doesn't have the same meaning as it did a couple of years ago.

Maybe lego are doingbulk  deals to get rid of stock of items that they can´t sell or overproduced.

A number of sets like Arctic Base, BB, SW, Benny Spaceship, Chima 70146 fall into that category and as such seem to be disastrous investments.

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Maybe lego are doingbulk  deals to get rid of stock of items that they can´t sell or overproduced.

A number of sets like Arctic Base, BB, SW, Benny Spaceship, Chima 70146 fall into that category and as such seem to be disastrous investments.

I think you need to qualify disastrous.  Most people that hold the Bounty, Fire Temple, Benny’s got them at around 50%, myself included.   Fire temple only retired in January, Bounty is still available and even Benny has only been gone around 6 months or so.  These are moving at around RRP give or take.  

Maybe there are/were better investments, but part of the game is about holding a diverse portfolio. When I picked up my 50% Fire temples I also picked up some 50% 70224: Tiger's Mobile Command.  I know nothing about Chima, other than my return over all of the Chima sets I acquired is looking good so far.  

But back on topic, I’m happy with my Bounty’s and I’m sure the investment will be far from disastrous when I move them.  

Sure, no doubt and the margins will continue fall and the game will get increasingly difficult.  But that was always going to happen; it’s how markets work, Arbitrage tends to compress a spread. The same way that all threads lead to the speculative bubble... 

1 minute ago, feed said:

Sure, no doubt and the margins will continue fall and the game will get increasingly difficult.  But that was always going to happen; it’s how markets work, Arbitrage tends to compress a spread. The same way that all threads lead to the speculative bubble... 

That´s why sets like this are best left to the wholesalers. Only stuff like Star Wars seems to move enough units to be safe these days and, even then, 40% off is esential.

Sure, but you make your choices on risk/return and invest in sets you think will turn a (good enough) profit. One thing is for sure, they can’t all be Antmans or RE’s.  Bounty, for me at least, is good enough. 

• 1 month later...

Local store near me has about 7 or more of these including the smaller pirate sets. I think about $100 a piece, I'm debating getting a few to hold on to... any thoughts on them? Doesn't seem to be a lot on eBay for auction yet, just buy it nows for $125+. It's a mom and pop store, I haven't seen these in any major retailers near me. They have a ton of LOTR pirate ambushes too, but those seem like stinkers so far.

I got mine at $82 from Target in January. The risk with this is that there is a new Pirates of the Carribbean movie coming out next year and if Lego continues its licensing with that franchise, there is a possibility of another pirate ship coming out, which may be more attractive for potential buyers than Brick Bounty.

I think you guys have anwered your own questions - sets that stay in stores months after EOL mean that there is not huge demand for them (try finding an ISD ship now).

If,  on top of that, you are paying full RRP or more, then there is not much meat on the bone later after fees. I´d pass unless it was seriously discounted - in Europe 30 % off was a common deal.

8 hours ago, clubnp said:

Local store near me has about 7 or more of these including the smaller pirate sets. I think about $100 a piece, I'm debating getting a few to hold on to... any thoughts on them? Doesn't seem to be a lot on eBay for auction yet, just buy it nows for $125+. It's a mom and pop store, I haven't seen these in any major retailers near me. They have a ton of LOTR pirate ambushes too, but those seem like stinkers so far.

If you need one for personal build - by all means buy one. And I'd contact @wolvergeek - he wants one, maybe you can do a fellow BP-er a favor by picking one up for him ....

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 11:52 PM, meiamfan said:

I got mine at $82 from Target in January. The risk with this is that there is a new Pirates of the Carribbean movie coming out next year and if Lego continues its licensing with that franchise, there is a possibility of another pirate ship coming out, which may be more attractive for potential buyers than Brick Bounty.

Every other pirate ship Lego has ever made is more attractive looking than the Brick Bounty.  Well, except for the Spongebob one.