70413 - Brick Bounty

mike1985

16 minutes ago, Quacs said:

I love the entire Pirates line and think it will do really well soon.  If the last Castle theme is any indicator, I will be selling bundles of this theme for double what I paid (after fees) in sixth months.

To piggy back on this, I also like the fact that the two soldier sets can connect, and the two pirate sets can connect.  It makes these sets more appealing as a bundle.

• 4 weeks later...
On December 27, 2015 at 10:27 AM, tacsniper said:

I have no doubt this set will do well shortly as it is "sold out" in many giant's e-store just after 9 months and possibly at the end of its product life. How about the smaller sets? Are those worth swooping when on sale or better off just concentrating on the bounty?

Comparing it to the POTC line (I know BB is not a liscensed set, wasn't in a movie or a theme park ride, and has generic minifigs just comparing the ship to the ancillary sets) I would say just the BB. I have a couple sets of the entire line since they were easy to pickup at a low price that I will try and sell as bundles to completionists but at MSRP IMO go with the Bounty. I think if and when the price raises on the BB the target market will change from a kids play set to an AFOL/Ship collector and I don't think they will care about Soldiers Outpost and Treasure Island but they do come with a squid and alligator respectively. You know what they say never underestimate the power of a squidgator, well I made that up, but shipwreck defense is still stocked deep and high at most retailers here in the USA. 

27 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Comparing it to the POTC line (I know BB is not a liscensed set, wasn't in a movie or a theme park ride, and has generic minifigs just comparing the ship to the ancillary sets) I would say just the BB. I have a couple sets of the entire line since they were easy to pickup at a low price that I will try and sell as bundles to completionists but at MSRP IMO go with the Bounty. I think if and when the price raises on the BB the target market will change from a kids play set to an AFOL/Ship collector and I don't think they will care about Soldiers Outpost and Treasure Island but they do come with a squid and alligator respectively. You know what they say never underestimate the power of a squidgator, well I made that up, but shipwreck defense is still stocked deep and high at most retailers here in the USA. 

I had trouble convincing buyers to get lots of Castle sets in the same bundle - most only wanted the King's Castle. My gut says it will be true, here, too, in that a lot of buyers already have some of the smaller sets, or their priority is the BB (and probably another large set after that...less love for small to mid-sized sets?). At least in Canada, shipping on small to mid-sized sets is a poor value compared to larger sets, too, so I avoid the small stuff unless it is 50% off or more.

• Like 1

I would say just the BB. 

The small skull cave could be a winner IMO.

I also view this one as a set that could gain and probably the easiest to move of all barring the ship. It is inspired in the old 90's Pirates sets -- the skull caverns were my favorite back then and as a AFOL i recognize it as a direct link to my infancy, more than the ship itself.

I also feel easier to ask a premium price after eol for this one than for Soldiers Fort, which is almost twice the rrp.

I found some BB's for 85€, which is okay imo because RRP is 110€ over here and there's no more pirates theme this year.

The other sets were on sale too (-15%), but to be honest I don't think they are all that special. The 2009 sets just blow them out of the water. That's true for BB too, but it IS a Lego ship.

2 hours ago, waddamon said:

It is 30% over rrp on amazon with free shipping.  I would say it will do just fine since it retired last week.  The best year in 8 in the s&p 500 was 2013 with that return. So brick bounty was a good choice.  Up from here, short life, all the mixings.

Your fees and transaction costs for investing in the S&P 500 are quite a bit different than those associated with a lego set.  The analysis is not quite that clear.  But long term Brick Bounty should be fine.

Guess I wouldn't know.  Wait your selling venue might be brick classifieds or another venue.  The comment above is a rate of return comment, I may or may not have the expenses you have. Oh yes, my first sentence was a joke as I do the investment management thing as a profession.