A LEGO Brickumentary (2015) - Movie

exciter1

A LEGO Brickumentary (2015)
Movie Info

Since the birth of their trademark toy in 1958, The LEGO Group has produced over 400 billion bricks. But more and more, LEGO bricks aren't just for kids, and some take them very seriously. Adult Fans of LEGO around the globe are unashamedly declaring their love of the brick, brick artists are creating stunning and surprising creations, and LEGO master builders are building human scale and larger structures. LEGO bricks are being used educationally, therapeutically, and have provided a universal system for human creativity and our innate desire "to build." This documentary playfully delves into the extraordinary impact of the LEGO brick, its massive global fan base, and the innovative uses for it that has sprung up around the world.

Rating:    G
Genre:    Documentary, Special Interest
Directed By:    Daniel Junge, Kief Davidson
Written By:    Daniel Junge, Kief Davidson

In Theaters:  Jul 31, 2015 Limited
Runtime:    1 hr. 35 min.

Narrated by Jason Bateman

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did anyone else watch this? I'm curious what others thought.

I watched it yesterday and I thought it was a great movie that focused a majority of the movie on the different aspects of Lego, like the its therapeutic/educational impact and the Lego artwork that has been created.

Saw it up on ITunes on Saturday, but haven`t rented it yet. May have to do that this week. Will report back later once viewed :derisive:

I watched it yesterday and I thought it was a great movie that focused a majority of the movie on the different aspects of Lego, like the its therapeutic/educational impact and the Lego artwork that has been created.

Yeah from the little info I`ve seen it looks really promising, glad to see that you enjoyed it! People who aren`t familiar with the hobby often make the assumption that it`s a kids toy, we have all experienced that, but nothing could be further from the truth. Lego is for anyone, anywhere, that just wants to __________ (fill in the blank: educated, play, created, build, imagine, etc.). 

• Like 1

I watched it last night and thought it was quite dull to be honest. It came across as a corporate video presentation for the most part, which I suppose is what it is really. It seemed to be aimed more at attracting new people into Lego, which is understandable, so I didn't feel like I was learning anything new. I would have liked to have heard more from enthusiasts rather than people from Lego rattling off the usual company lines. It did feature a few AFOLS and some of it was interesting though. I was a little unsure about the section on autistic kids using Lego as therapy. I've no doubt it can be beneficial which is great, but get concerned when corporate brands get involved with health issues. Is Lego any more beneficial in this regard than Mega Bloks for instance? And who is funding the research?

Anyone into Lego would get something from it though, so it's worth a look.

FWIW I much preferred the recent Secret World Of Lego documentary from Channel 4 (UK) which was much more interesting and had a different angle.

• Like 1

FWIW I much preferred the recent Secret World Of Lego documentary from Channel 4 (UK) which was much more interesting and had a different angle.

This was kind of my reaction. I liked seeing the LEGO artwork, but I didn't feel that this documentary tread new ground. Jason Bateman's LEGO person was more irritating to me than anything else. I felt like it served to dehumanize the story of LEGO. The Channel4 doc focused on 3 different stories and really made a difference as far as relatability.

• 1 month later...

does it come with a minifigure?

I didn't find any information pertaining to the inclusion of a minigure so I guess not. Also I forgot to mention pricing with the DVD retailing at $22.99 while Blu-Ray will be $26.99. I'm not sure what character they could have attached to this release however considering the price I think anything could have helped. Perhaps since this documentary goes over the general history of LEGO, the included minifigure could have looked like the very first one of the policeman in set 600 Police Car but with printing instead of a torso sticker.

I didn't find any information pertaining to the inclusion of a minigure so I guess not. Also I forgot to mention pricing with the DVD retailing at $22.99 while Blu-Ray will be $26.99. I'm not sure what character they could have attached to this release however considering the price I think anything could have helped. Perhaps since this documentary goes over the general history of LEGO, the included minifigure could have looked like the very first one of the policeman in set 600 Police Car but with printing instead of a torso sticker.

I wasn't really being serious. I actually doubted it, but what's a LEGO DVD release without an included minifigure?