Ideas #010: 21302 - The Big Bang Theory

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, gupsterg said:

Well invested in 2 sets, ~£28 a set. Decision to invest based on seeing recent ebay.co.uk listings at ~£45 to £50 mark, so perhaps potential for gains in 6mths+ as set is EOL.

You could've gone all in as anything current selling close to RRP now is a no brainer.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, gupsterg said:

I agree with your suggestion :) .I did the 3 for 2, 2x TBBT & 1x Ecto 1  ;) . Just spreading my £ at the mo :) , bought about 9 sets since yesterday (which you probably do in 1 click :P ).

Yes, you need to be sensible in the early days as it's easy to get carried away. Tesco are having the "Sale of the century" where willpower simply flies out of the window. It may seem like I spend a fortune but, it's all money I've earned/risked since I bought all those VW Beetles & 41999s a few years ago. I've not put any new funds into LEGO since then. I may seem like a big player (far from it actually!) but, it's not really much more than minimum wage however, I enjoy it compared to my old IT job and dreadful commute.

I'm not a fan of TBBT but, a lot are and this set could do well.

Beware of the sets that are not selling out. True that Tabby broke the internet with his flake 99 orders this morning and is avoiding this set but it is still one to watch out for. In euros they come to 33 euros a pop vs 60 euros RRP. No brainer, if you ask me.

• Like 1

@TabbyBoy

Yeah the Tesco Direct sale is so enticing :D , but being careful ;) . For example I bagged a speed champions set on Amazon a moment ago which they seem to have dropped below TD price. So with the discounted GC cards I have, it worked out slightly cheaper than buying 3F2 at TD.

I'd say I'm doing the same as yourself in that I've set myself set amount of funds, which I will plough into Lego and then try to gain back with profit and reinvest. A friend does shares, this seemed safer to me :) and more fun :D

Edited by gupsterg

• 2 weeks later...

This set got me back into Lego having not built any models in over 10 years. I bought and built it last month and had great fun putting it together. It certainly has become a conversation piece. It's interesting to see the mixed views on investment potential for this set, I am considering buying another one as an investment now that it is "Retiring Soon". I have since purchased and built the Yellow Submarine, the 10188 Death Star (purchased MISB and trying not to open it), and waiting for the Ecto 1 to arrive which I plan to build and possibly buy one for investment also.

4 hours ago, NateValentino said:

This set got me back into Lego having not built any models in over 10 years. I bought and built it last month and had great fun putting it together. It certainly has become a conversation piece. It's interesting to see the mixed views on investment potential for this set, I am considering buying another one as an investment now that it is "Retiring Soon". I have since purchased and built the Yellow Submarine, the 10188 Death Star (purchased MISB and trying not to open it), and waiting for the Ecto 1 to arrive which I plan to build and possibly buy one for investment also.

FWIW I actually think its a neat set.  Not sure its going to set the world on fire once its done but given the lack of interest in this one compared to the other "retiring soon" ideas sets it might hold its own given the hoarding of the others.

Interested to know if you got this set because you're a fan of the show or because you thought it looked like a neat piece?

1 minute ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

FWIW I actually think its a neat set.  Not sure its going to set the world on fire once its done but given the lack of interest in this one compared to the other "retiring soon" ideas sets it might hold its own given the hoarding of the others.

Interested to know if you got this set because you're a fan of the show or because you thought it looked like a neat piece?

Both. I love the show and once I saw this (and the Yellow Submarine) I just had to buy it. I'd like to see more Big Bang Theory sets, but that's unlikely to happen.

As for investment potential, I agree it won't set the world on fire, but I think sets that don't sell well could also be great investment due to the limited number available once retired. I could be totally wrong of course.

2 minutes ago, kris_1973 said:

It was before I came out of the Dark Ages, but was that the same thoughts about Birds and Exo-Suit? (Sincere, not sarcastic inquiry.)

This is true! I guess it comes down to personal taste. I tend to buy things I have an interest in and aim to pay a price I think is OK, then if something is a total flop, at least I enjoyed it. I hope to learn more about investing in Lego over time. This community is great so far and I have picked up useful tips from reading the threads here. :) I guess buy low, sell high and remember it's a gamble is a good start.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wotguvnotmeguv said:

This was in the sale section of Forbidden Planet, which tells me what the level of demand is likely to be in future.

If that store can't find willing takers for it, it's unlikely to be a winner. 

Well, maybe not a winner, but at a nice buy-in, for me all sets are winners. But it's not has solid has wall-e(demand) or maze(rare)...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Set has been retired for about 1 month and is selling on eBay UK between £50-60 shipped  (RRP  £50). Nothing to scream about, but at least this set has started selling for above RRP, unlike doctor who. "Who" knows what the future for this set is. I personally quite liked the set from a build perspective, TBBT does have alot of followers aswell. I think it will perform better in US than UK. This set was available for majority of its shelf life for 20% off, during the 3 for 2 sales could have picked it up for about 50% off. 

Edited by Mhd747
  • Like 2

TBBT looks great on the shelf even though decided to build one and place it next to my battlestation (work station) at work place.
I's fairly small but with excellence in execution (detail wise). There is always someone stopping by to look closely at this set and compliment.
That's why I decided to go later all in with TBT instead of Tardis.

Might be a future winner as well as Wall-E which is now 30% above RPP and Ecto-1

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shewie said:

That's why I decided to go later all in with TBT instead of Tardis.

Might be a future winner as well as Wall-E which is now 30% above RPP and Ecto-1

Good decision by the looks of it. I think many completely ignored TBT, so it may not take as long to thin out the competition

• 6 months later...