Ideas #010: 21302 - The Big Bang Theory

• 5 weeks later...

There where some good ideas sets rejected in favour of this. Go figure what is happening in the board room that they thought this set would be a good choice. Nothing  major wrong per say, but never was going to get too many people excited IMO. Really just a bunch of minifigs and a couple of walls. :beerhat:

5 minutes ago, Alfiepops said:

There where some good ideas sets rejected in favour of this. Go figure what is happening in the board room that they thought this set would be a good choice. Nothing  major wrong per say, but never was going to get too many people excited IMO. Really just a bunch of minifigs and a couple of walls. :beerhat:

Is the problem with LEGO or with the voters? How many people looked at 7 minifigures and thought that would make a great set? How many people who voted for it stopped and realized that really all you could do was have them sit on the couch and eat takeout? The team who made the decision looked at the positive response, the popularity of the show, the overlap of nerds who like the show and nerds who buy LEGO and the success of other licensed LEGO Ideas sets. The voters are constantly supporting untenable sets. "Hey, look, a 10,000 piece Helicarrier! I'd definitely buy that and I think it should run about $250." The upvoters have a hard time seeing past the initial cool factor to "What am I going to do with that next?" Were they going to build a variety of BBT dios? Were they going to add the minifigs to their modular displays?

• Like 1

Is the problem with LEGO or with the voters? How many people looked at 7 minifigures and thought that would make a great set? How many people who voted for it stopped and realized that really all you could do was have them sit on the couch and eat takeout? The team who made the decision looked at the positive response, the popularity of the show, the overlap of nerds who like the show and nerds who buy LEGO and the success of other licensed LEGO Ideas sets. The voters are constantly supporting untenable sets. "Hey, look, a 10,000 piece Helicarrier! I'd definitely buy that and I think it should run about $250." The upvoters have a hard time seeing past the initial cool factor to "What am I going to do with that next?" Were they going to build a variety of BBT dios? Were they going to add the minifigs to their modular displays?

You haven't MOC'ed your own Pennys apt, Walowitz' room or University cafeteria?

• Like 2

I think some of you missed the memo :

Ideas is a line full of "premium" (overpriced) display models each designed to appeal to a SUBSET of Lego fans... Generally adults.

The concept of nerd overlap is inherent to the design. You aren't supposed to want this set if you aren't a fan of the show and as an investor you should not expect everyone to want this set.

BBT has been the #1 comedy in the US for years and successful across the world. An episode featured 10143 Death Star II for crying out loud. Of course it was worth a shot for Lego to produce this set and I think they did it well.

It's clearly no Ecto-1 but I think in time it will surprise the naysayers who just don't get it. So to them I say exactly that... DON'T GET IT. Not every Lego set is going to appeal to everyone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Agree. When I look at the projects on the Ideas website that manage to achieve 10,000 votes and end up in the official LEGO Ideas Review, more than once I can't help to think: what were the people voting on those submissions actually thinking? People seem to forget that LEGO Ideas is not a MOC-popularity contest! Sure, I too love the highly detailed intricate MOC designs submitted at the LEGO Ideas site. They are usually beautiful and very well designed. But they don't fit in with the 'idea' of LEGO Ideas! 

<Rant starting>

Another gripe I have is with the continuous stream of submissions that belong to already existing LEGO themes like Star Wars, Scooby Doo, Super Heroes, Disney, Architecture, etc. All these people who submit a BB-8 or Luggabeast design... Do they think LEGO isn't looking into such possible sets already, and probably designing or maybe even finishing up the design of the manual and box by now? And when LEGO comes out with a set that has some similarities to one of the Ideas submissions, they complain and whine that LEGO 'stole their Idea/design/submission'. While forgetting that the whole process of designing and developing a model, designing a building manual with logical and understandable steps, extensive testing it with a control-group, designing a box for it, taking promotional photos and planning a release date, all takes quite a long time!

And the last annoyance I have is the sheer overload of terribly poor quality submissions. Just because a parent loves their child and they are proud of the apple of their eyes for building a simple house with their bucket of LEGO bricks does NOT mean they should submit that house as a LEGO Ideas submission! 

</end of Rant> :P 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...