Building my reputation on ebay?

It is important, but remember that often even the scammers have really good ratings. Anyway, it also depends on what you plan on selling to raise your reputation. For example, I wouldn't start selling a bunch of very low price items to bring my reputation up becuase that is usually what some of the scammers do as well. So I guess it depends on how you do it. Then again, I think most Ebay buyers are simply not looking for scammers and base their choice on the ratings (something proved by the amunt of scammers selling daily on ebay for long periods of time), so I wouldn't worry too much.

Anyway, it also depends on what you plan on selling to raise your reputation. For example, I wouldn't start selling a bunch of very low price items to bring my reputation up becuase that is usually what some of the scammers do as well. So I guess it depends on how you do it.

That's a good question, I don't know what I'll do :) My long term goal is to sell only big sets. But to raise my reputation, maybe I'll sell a bit of everything (minifigs, small/medium sets)

I have been selling for years on ebay and its all down to common sense really. I have a rating of over 5000 but 1000's more dont leave feeddback! Genuine buyers will want to see you have a confirmed paypal address, you have the product in hand so show a picture of item at home like your table etc, this shows that you have it, detail the box like every mark, be as detailed as you can. The most important advice i will give is make sure you get insured tracked post. You will get sillers bidders etc and bad luck could result in a no show but if you are clear about your payments acceptance details all should be good. sorry bit rushed but thought i needed to say something.

I have been selling for years on ebay and its all down to common sense really. I have a rating of over 5000 but 1000's more dont leave feeddback!

Genuine buyers will want to see you have a confirmed paypal address, you have the product in hand so show a picture of item at home like your table etc, this shows that you have it, detail the box like every mark, be as detailed as you can.

The most important advice i will give is make sure you get insured tracked post.

You will get sillers bidders etc and bad luck could result in a no show but if you are clear about your payments acceptance details all should be good.

sorry bit rushed but thought i needed to say something.

I agree with this. Actual pictures of the items go along way to build trust. Quality communication and tracking information is also a must. Package the item carefully and properly. Every LEGO box needs to be in another box. That is law! LOL

One time i bought a lego off of ebay, and when i got the lego i unwrapped the brown paper that was around it and bammmmm there was a lego. It wasnt in a box (which was a first for me) and they taped packaging tape on the box. Was not a happy camper! Shipping is most important to me, so i would make sure that you always ship the item as quickly as possible and make sure its packaged correctly so you have happy campers :)

I agree with Ed. Feedback, while pretty important, doesn't trump actual pictures of the Lego set you are selling. Most buyers will see the picture and check to see if its authentic. They'll most likely look at completed auctions and current auctions to see if the picture is unique. Then, they'll check your feedback to see what you have sold. Even if you have 100-150 feedbacks, as long as you have good actual pictures and a 100% feedbacks selling various other things (and not .99 cent ebooks), I would buy and assume most other buyers will buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Building an ebay business, just like a traditional business, takes time. You'll have to work at it to build up people's trust in you. As other's here have said start small, take lots of pictures, and use a unique marker in your photos so anyone viewing them will know they're yours. This will assure potential buyers that you have the items in hand, something that 99% of all scammers cannot be bothered with. As for buyer fraud, there's currently nothing you can do to prevent it on ebay. If the buyer opens a case against you, says "item not as described", and ships you back a box of rocks, ebay will refund them their money. You can jump through a bunch of hoops to try and prove fraud and may eventually be able to get your money back as well, but you'll be out the cash and the item while the mess gets resolved and it may not be worth your time to pursue. It sucks, but its a reality all investors must be willing to face.