Minimium wage to be $15/hr in Los Angeles...Could this affect the LEGO Secondary Markets (parting out/reselling small sets)???

binici

Ok, now that things seem safe.

2 things : as time has gone on the supply of humans has gone up and the demand for their labor has gone down. ; no matter the rules of society there will be a bottom and a top. All we can do is adjust the knobs to attemp to make the bottom a little less bad.

here is something to posture, nearly everyone you've ever known is somewhere doing something. Their life is funded one way on another. Minimum wage maybe the right knob to adjust to make more people self safitiant and it may not. It has in the past worked and failed. I think it has worked more often than failed, but over time the entire economy adjusts and we're back to where we started. 

Tecnilogical advancement seems to be the only thing that consistently improves the bottom of humanity.

​dude, spell check? what you're saying makes some sense but i cant take you seriously

Edited by jerryherb

all,

please refrain from making posts personal against another member.  attacks are not allowed and will be removed.  i understand there was a couple of members going back and forth yesterday.  those posts prob should have been removed. 

today is a new day and let's try to be civil. 

thanks,
the mod team

• Like 3

I think another issue is the mentality of people in this country.  The american dream, the expectation to own fancy cars, big houses, keep up with the Jones, means that people feel entitled to be given things.  Which is why a business like Ed's can't keep employees. 

The agriculture industry in states that have cracked down on migrant workers has suffered immensely.  The non-migrant workers who try the jobs quit because it's too hard and doesn't pay enough.  It was either Mississippi or Alabama that had quietly repealed the bills and were trying to entice the migrant workers back.

The work ethic in this country has suffered.  Kids these days haven't been taught responsibility and follow through.  They have helicopter parents who clean up after them and make sure they get everything they want. 

• Like 1

I think another issue is the mentality of people in this country.  The american dream, the expectation to own fancy cars, big houses, keep up with the Jones, means that people feel entitled to be given things.  Which is why a business like Ed's can't keep employees. 

The agriculture industry in states that have cracked down on migrant workers has suffered immensely.  The non-migrant workers who try the jobs quit because it's too hard and doesn't pay enough.  It was either Mississippi or Alabama that had quietly repealed the bills and were trying to entice the migrant workers back.

The work ethic in this country has suffered.  Kids these days haven't been taught responsibility and follow through.  They have helicopter parents who clean up after them and make sure they get everything they want. 

​we need more Red Formans :)

• Like 1

​So beautifully said!

This covers the Alabama issue you mention

hbowatch.com/vice-sweet-home-alabama-haitian-money-pit

but, people don't raise their kids with the values of good migrant workers because they don't want their kids to be migrant workers.  Everyone wants to be an owner of themself and their time and what they do with it, no one wants to be owned. Doing crap work you don't want to do for any amount of pay makes you feel as if you're not in control of yourself. So, very few people raise their kids to be good at it. But, they probably should.

This covers the Alabama issue you mention

hbowatch.com/vice-sweet-home-alabama-haitian-money-pit

but, people don't raise their kids with the values of good migrant workers because they don't want their kids to be migrant workers.  Everyone wants to be an owner of themself and their time and what they do with it, no one wants to be owned. Doing crap work you don't want to do for any amount of pay makes you feel as if you're not in control of yourself. So, very few people raise their kids to be good at it. But, they probably should.

​That's where I saw it, thanks.  That Haitian segment so pissed me off.

I absolutely agree with this.  What I don't get is, if you need to feed your family, put a roof over your head, why won't you do any type of work that pays?  And subsequently, if you're going to do something, why not do it well?  take pride in knowing you did a good job even if it's for a crappy job?

It's something I get to see in my own family.  My brother-in-law is 30, lives at home, delivers pizzas.  He's bounced around with those kinds of jobs for years (IKEA, Target, Sbux).  Doesn't have a lot of drive to get out of the house on his own.  Flunked out of college twice.  Started another degree at Devry, couldn't be bothered to finish, or take the certification test for network admin.  Doesn't know what he wants to do.  His parents basically bailed him out of the college thing, was letting him stay home without a plan, rent-free (they don't have a basement, otherwise, that's where he'd be).  He drives a beat up lexus, because it's a lexus, even though he could've bought something cheaper/more reliable.  Doesn't take a job pushing carts at Costco, because even though it pays $14/hr, it's beneath him to do that.  Meanwhile my husband got kicked out at 16 for breaking the rules, put himself through college, and now has a successful career and gets to invest in lego on the side.  They're just 4 years apart, but their parents raised each just enough differently that they're outcomes are significantly different.  There's personality at play as well, so it's not all on my in-laws.

My husband just summed it up as 'He wants a champagne life on a minimum wage job, while I want a practical life, on a champagne income'.

• Like 6

My husband just summed it up as 'He wants a champagne life on a minimum wage job, while I want a practical life, on a champagne income'.

​I just had to quote that last line. What a wonderful way to frame realistic expectations and work ethic. I may have to use that with some of my students.

I absolutely agree with this.  What I don't get is, if you need to feed your family, put a roof over your head, why won't you do any type of work that pays?  And subsequently, if you're going to do something, why not do it well?  take pride in knowing you did a good job even if it's for a crappy job?

It's something I get to see in my own family.  My brother-in-law is 30, lives at home, delivers pizzas.  He's bounced around with those kinds of jobs for years (IKEA, Target, Sbux).  Doesn't have a lot of drive to get out of the house on his own.  Flunked out of college twice.  Started another degree at Devry, couldn't be bothered to finish, or take the certification test for network admin.  Doesn't know what he wants to do.  His parents basically bailed him out of the college thing, was letting him stay home without a plan, rent-free (they don't have a basement, otherwise, that's where he'd be).  He drives a beat up lexus, because it's a lexus, even though he could've bought something cheaper/more reliable.  Doesn't take a job pushing carts at Costco, because even though it pays $14/hr, it's beneath him to do that.  Meanwhile my husband got kicked out at 16 for breaking the rules, put himself through college, and now has a successful career and gets to invest in lego on the side.  They're just 4 years apart, but their parents raised each just enough differently that they're outcomes are significantly different.  There's personality at play as well, so it's not all on my in-laws.

​I agree.  Almost every job has potential and there is no job that should be laughed at or ridiculed.  As Ted Knight said in Caddyshack, "Someone has to dig ditches!"  People used to laugh at me washing cars for a living.  They would drive by and yell...."Get a real job loser!"  Fast forward 20 years and now people think I am loaded and owning a business is the best thing since sliced bread.  I call my business a "prison with no walls" and I'm sure many small business operators think the same way.  But I am really not complaining.  I am blessed with a very good life and even though I work hard, I believe the American Dream is still alive.  

Minimum wage jobs are only a stepping stone for those who have the inner drive to make a better life for themselves.  The higher you make the minimum wage, the less people will do and/or excel at.  Just my two cents...

Edited by Ed Mack

Minimum wage jobs are only a stepping stone for those who have the inner drive to make a better life for themselves.  The higher you make the minimum wage, the less people will do and/or excel at.  Just my two cents...

​I will never trade one minute of the minimum wage jobs I worked when younger--lawn service, grocery stock boy, and janitor in college. I value every lesson about work and doing my best no matter how crappy the job.

Ed: one of my best friends owns a catering business and works his butt off for his "prison with no walls."  He started the business twenty years ago making casseroles for church groups and now has over a dozen full time employees and owns the best banquet hall in town. I'm so glad he's around my kids so they see his example and know the dignity of work. Thank you for sharing.

People used to laugh at me washing cars for a living.  They would drive by and yell...."Get a real job loser!"  Fast forward 20 years and now people think I am loaded and owning a business is the best thing since sliced bread.

Do you ever wear a black pork pie hat?

Can I say that the don't-want -to-work-too- hard isn't just for the minimum wage folks vs migrant labor.

The median income for my profession is 160k  a year. Of the 17 in my graduating class, only 3 of us went to work for ourselves, the other 14 went to work for "the Man". They shown up to work, get paid live a good life. I however negotiate my own contracts, have employees. Have all the stress that comes from running a business, and I get paid a lot more than they do. The American dream is now being comfortable, whether that is in a $15/hr job or a 150k a year gig

Edited by justapilgrim

​I will never trade one minute of the minimum wage jobs I worked when younger--lawn service, grocery stock boy, and janitor in college. I value every lesson about work and doing my best no matter how crappy the job.

​I also worked in several restaurants in high school and college.  It's great!  You can be a janitor one minute and then prepare people's food the next.  I don't think I could ever wash my hands enough to make you feel good about it.

I've probably had many of the same minimum wage jobs that the rest of you had.  I delivered papers to about 250 homes from 6th grade to my sophomore year in high school.  Once I passed my driving test, I worked several places between sports, during school, holiday/summer breaks, during college, etc.  If I wanted something, I had to earn cash and buy it myself.

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 1

​I think this is also why the higher education system in the US is so messed up.  In other parts of the world, people know what they want to do first and then use the higher education as a mean to achieve the goal.  None of the wasting freshman & sophomore years "figuring out what to do" while partying, flunking classes, and accumulating debts.  Especially in 3rd world countries where higher education is harder to come by, competitive to get into, and expensive as heck.

• Like 2

​I think this is also why the higher education system in the US is so messed up.  In other parts of the world, people know what they want to do first and then use the higher education as a mean to achieve the goal.  None of the wasting freshman & sophomore years "figuring out what to do" while partying, flunking classes, and accumulating debts.  Especially in 3rd world countries where higher education is harder to come by, competitive to get into, and expensive as heck.

​I don't know a lot about other country's higher education systems, but don't they attend college at the same age US kids do?  Is it because the curriculum of K-12 (or their version if it) is so different than ours?

​Things simply cost more now than they did then.

Average rent would be $365/month.  A new house: $52k.  Harvard Tuition: $7k

ETA: sorry the picture's huge.  I can't figure out how to shrink it.

​I think you missed my point. I know things cost more now, but $4.16 today is exactly equivalent to $0.25 back in 1938, at least according to the CPI. According the BLS, $4.16 will buy you the same amount of stuff as $0.25 did in 1938.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Edited by tabc59