Need help advise on CL deal

pkieu87

I saw on CL for the following USED sets (all complete w/ box and instructions) for $300.  (He confirmed completeness by rebuilding it himself... he's sold me stuff before so I know its legit when he says its complete).  Is this a good deal to resell??

4021 - police patrol
4010 - police rescue boat
4030 - cargo carrer
4020 - fire fighter
7722 - steam cargo train
6377 - delivery center
6396 - international jetport
6346 - shuttle launching crew
6368 - jet airliner
6345 - aerial acrobats
6356 - med-star rescue plane
6544 - shuttle transcon
6387 - coastal rescue base
6442 - sting ray explorer
6379 - riding stable
6940 - alien moon stalker
6358 - snorkel squad
6353 - coastal cutter
6381 - motor speedway
6393 - big rig truck stop

Personally I would stay away from it as there is not much value to resell. WIth shipping and fees you might be under. I would offer him no more than $160. $300 is too much. You are better off buying 2 x petshops or other exclusives. $160 would be fair +/- $20 if its for personal collection and you want to build.

Regards

• Like 1

I would definitely try to negotiate that down, but you know your relationship with that seller better than me. Without researching used resale values on Bricklink, I would not say yes or no here. Check that first...the airport and cargo sets sound promising, police and fire not so much, except for the boat (if it's a big floating one).

Edit: I would jump on this. If you don't want to put effort in to check completeness of the sets before you sell, then buy 2x Pet Shops. Otherwise, get this lot and you will make good money on it. Not immediately, but Pet Shop investment won't provide immediate return either.

Edit 2: And now I really want 6396...making me nostalgic here. It was tempting to try to take that away from the Lego vault. lol

Edited by minicoopers11

The nice thing I know about him is that he's not a reseller but he takes really good care of his legos.  He's pretty well off and has TONS of legos.  He does some research on prices but not much and would rather sell it more quickly (different priorities now).  He sold me LIKE NEW (literally, great box/instructions, shiny pieces, it even has the extra pieces) fire brigade, pet shop, grand emporium, and 6990 monorail for $400 total.  Monorail by itself is approx ~250, which he was aware of.  I'm thinking of negotiating down to $275... I did some research and it looks like the used (for him, used = like new) 7722 train is worth ~150 (~120 after fees).

My biggest concern though, is how accurate BP is for USED sets.  I cross checked w/ bricklink as well.  In theory, this lot is worth ~800-900 (~600 after fees/shipping) and although I know I'd need to recheck completeness, it should be easy since he's already confirmed it.

• Like 1

The nice thing I know about him is that he's not a reseller but he takes really good care of his legos.  He's pretty well off and has TONS of legos.  He does some research on prices but not much and would rather sell it more quickly (different priorities now).  He sold me LIKE NEW (literally, great box/instructions, shiny pieces, it even has the extra pieces) fire brigade, pet shop, grand emporium, and 6990 monorail for $400 total.  Monorail by itself is approx ~250, which he was aware of.  I'm thinking of negotiating down to $275... I did some research and it looks like the used (for him, used = like new) 7722 train is worth ~150 (~120 after fees).

My biggest concern though, is how accurate BP is for USED sets.  I cross checked w/ bricklink as well.  In theory, this lot is worth ~800-900 (~600 after fees/shipping) and although I know I'd need to recheck completeness, it should be easy since he's already confirmed it.

​If you want to figure worst case how much you'll gross, I would assume selling only on Bricklink. Assume you would set a price a bit below the current lowest available in your country (USA, I'm guessing). Then see where you end up. Assume actual shipping, so no need to figure that in. Then, if you see the lot as worth it and buy it all, determine which would be best to try to sell on eBay or other places.

According to the lot calculator, the value of that lot is around $900. With a buy-in price of around $300 and the condition they are in, I would buy them, but your only problem if you buy them is that they will take a long time to sell. It seems like all of these sets are from the 1990's or early 2000's, which means that not a lot of people are looking to buy them. I have sold several sets from this era and they do take a long time to sell unless you're selling it really cheap.

Would it be safe to "let it ride" w/ actual auction instead of buy-it-now?  All my previous purchases have been BIN so I'm not sure how risky it is to auction instead...  Setting reserve puts off a lot of bidders also as well.

Selling older sets auction style make be risky, you may not get enough eyeballs on it. ​I like buy it now with make an offer.

You going to sell as an entire lot? 

No I would sell them separately, with flat rate shipping to lower cost risks.  The advantage of just doing auction is that I'd set them to end at same time and make a single trip to ship.  

That's not going to work. Auctions don't require the buyer to pay immediately like buy it now does. Even if they all end within the same hour, some buyers will pay right away and others will wait 3-4 days, even up to a week after being reminded, to pay. In addition there will probably be a few sets that don't get any bids and won't sell until they have been relisted a few times. To save on trips to the post office selling as one lot is the way to go. That's a nice lot though. Good luck with it if you pursue it.

Edited by terrymc4677
  • Like 1

No I would sell them separately, with flat rate shipping to lower cost risks.  The advantage of just doing auction is that I'd set them to end at same time and make a single trip to ship.  

​What terry said. As far as single trip to ship, why? You can have USPS just pick up the packages as they sell/pay. If that doesn't work for you due to location/situation or something, you can easily drop them off without waiting.

Edited by minicoopers11

I saw on CL for the following USED sets (all complete w/ box and instructions) for $300.  (He confirmed completeness by rebuilding it himself... he's sold me stuff before so I know its legit when he says its complete).  Is this a good deal to resell??

4021 - police patrol
4010 - police rescue boat
4030 - cargo carrer
4020 - fire fighter
7722 - steam cargo train
6377 - delivery center
6396 - international jetport
6346 - shuttle launching crew
6368 - jet airliner
6345 - aerial acrobats
6356 - med-star rescue plane
6544 - shuttle transcon
6387 - coastal rescue base
6442 - sting ray explorer
6379 - riding stable
6940 - alien moon stalker
6358 - snorkel squad
6353 - coastal cutter
6381 - motor speedway
6393 - big rig truck stop

​That's not a bad deal for $300, particularly if the sets have all of the stickers and are already sorted into individual sets.  You should be able to make the $300 back on 6393, 4030, 7722, 6377, and 6396 along.

So I got it down to 275.  Yeah I just realized that about the bidding thing.  Way better to do BIN and have usps pickup.   I think imma get it.  He's gonna have more sets for me next week lol, excited to see what he has in store.  I'll be posting again for more input from you experts :)