What Makes Up an Adult Fan of LEGO (AFOL) **SURVEY RESULTS**

That was what I was looking at - I would think that Household Incomes would have been a lot higher with such a level of graduates.

But like someone mentioned, where in the world the person lives could be part of the reason (but I still think the incomes seem low).

Some people may have degrees and are not actively using them to earn money, ie housewife, homemaker, mother, and retired. 

Great info...would love to see married/single to understand the household income better. 

Agreed.

Wow, great job. Surprising that there are lot of pure collectors here.

If I understood Jeff correctly, it was not just taken by brickpicker members but also by people visiting brickset, brickfan etc.

As far as Biniou's comment is concerned: I don't think the survey really pretends to indicate how many AFOL's exist per country. It tells where the participants of the survey come from. No more, no less.

• Like 2

Wow, great job.  Surprising that there are lot of pure collectors here.

That is a point that Jeff and I have been trying to make for a long time.  A large portion of the BrickPicker membership have no interest in "reselling" or stockpiling LEGO sets.  

• Like 2

The survey gave 2 options for the kind of AFOL we are, reseller or collector. I feel it left out a pretty massive group of AFOL: the builders.

Many don't care about reselling or collecting any official sets.

I think "builders" fall into the "collectors" category.  In order to build a MOC LEGO set, you need to "collect" the LEGO pieces to do so.  

col

This is great and looks really nice! As a bit of a spelling nerd, I must point out a couple of typos. Under Professions there is a Director of Markerting and under favorite sets the Simsons House.

Thank you. Migration also let me know of another one and I have updated the spelling.  

If I understood Jeff correctly, it was not just taken by brickpicker members but also by people visiting brickset, brickfan etc.

As far as Biniou's comment is concerned: I don't think the survey really pretends to indicate how many AFOL's exist per country. It tells where the participants of the survey come from. No more, no less.

And participants seem to have been more or less "self-selected," so the data isn't necessarily representative of a random population sample. It's still helpful, though.

Very interesting, thanks !

However, the "AFOLS by country" numbers are completely wrong, because a poll available on english websites can't represent the real numbers of AFOLs from France/Italy/Germany/Spain/etc. :) (for example there are not 5 or 6 times more AFOLs in the UK (15.03%) than in Germany (2.76%) ;) )

So no results (for this part) would have been better than wrong ones IMHO.

I don't think anyone would surmise that these numbers are reflective of the whole AFOL population - they are just reflective of the Brickpicker population (since that is who the survey was marketed to).

Edit: I see this was already addressed with another comment above!

Hey fantastic looking illustration, but I have one question, city as a top 3 favourite theme has to include advanced models right? Otherwise some kind of body snatchers thing is going on surely..............

It amazes me at how many people just collect city for their own city.  Most of my local stores have more city than anything else.  I agree though there are much better themes but some people just like the standards.

Excellent presentation.  Thanks for sharing.  The only thing I would change would be to sort the level of education from highest level to lowest instead of by highest percentage to lowest.  It would be interesting to see AFOL type by income bracket.  For instance, are high earners more likely to be strictly collectors?

Again, it was posted on other sites that have a fan base outside of the US.

Outside the US isn't so much of the point. Was it actually translated and posted on sites in other languages? If not you simply miss the majority of fans in countries other than the few that speak English.

But anyway - thanks for the results, even when some of it has to be taken with care. Never trust any statistic unless you "tuned" it yourself.

Outside the US isn't so much of the point. Was it actually translated and posted on sites in other languages? If not you simply miss the majority of fans in countries other than the few that speak English.

But anyway - thanks for the results, even when some of it has to be taken with care. Never trust any statistic unless you "tuned" it yourself.

I emailed seven different sites. Three got back to me. At least Brickset and BrickFanatics are at least across the pond.  I wanted to get as much exposure as possible, but sometimes it doesn't work out as you wanted.  I can reach out to them at another point and then combine.