MOC Highlights

TheOrcKing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Did you build free or use a digital file first? I’d love to compare your .io or .ldd to my own, curious how you staged the courtyards. Play features inside or purely display? How many dollars worth of Urks you got there? :D

Lovely work.

Thanks! I just brick-built it and made changes as I progress. So unfortunately no digital files. I'd love to see your creation though!

Here's a overhead view and a close-up of the inner courtyard:

DV6zuSkh.jpg

r5LODPJh.jpg

The layout is based on a cross section art work of Helm's Deep made by a WETA artist. I put an armory in the basement below the inner courtyard (accessible through entrance next to stairs in the inner courtyard), a stable in the lower entrance, and a private dining area on the second floor of the great hall. See here for more detail: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/169563-moc-lotr-helms-deep/

Since I got in the game late, 9471 is worth stupid money now so I only got one. Other than the original figures from 9471 and 9474, the rest are custom figures from eBay (not sure if this is hugely frowned upon in these boards or not......). 

Edited by locidm
  • Like 5

Makes sense, it’d be hundreds to put that many legit urukhai down, so that helps explain it. I’ve presently dismantled mine in a cleaning effort. I had the original set on display for years and it took 6 hours of sunlight from a certain angle for about 3 years. Added in a second set plus parts for moccing (word?)... but as you can imagine from the UV damage the original took, there were loads of colour variations. I painstakingly dismantled and digitally mapped my build in reverse. Did the peroxide trick over the summer/fall but have yet to polish off my custom instructions and reassemble.

If you find the Member Moc thread, I posted pics of it in there a couple years back. :) happy to send the ldd too if you like.

• Like 1

Thanks for referring me to the members MOC thread. Being new here I didn't realize there was another thread for posting MOCs. Saw the microbuild HD. Very nice! Love the French bridge too, awesome build, very authentic. I'll take you up on your offer for the LDD file. :)

22 hours ago, locidm said:

Other than the original figures from 9471 and 9474, the rest are custom figures from eBay (not sure if this is hugely frowned upon in these boards or not......). 

No qualms with acquiring custom made minifigures and/or elements from sellers upfront stating such are in fact custom made and not trying to pass them off as official product (Brick Builders Pro and Firestar Toys come to mind). Now in the case with off brands guilty in outright copying what LEGO does but subpar quality like Lele, Bela, Decool, Enlighten, Sluban, and so on, the site's stance is quite the opposite.

I suppose the short answer would be if the item is made "by the fans for the fans" then it is alright.

16 hours ago, locidm said:

Being new here I didn't realize there was another thread for posting MOCs.

There are plenty of already established topics to post in but nothing making any mandatory. They are simply there as easy to find, post, and discuss various "catch all" subjects. You can always start up a new thread to show off your latest works.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

No qualms with acquiring custom made minifigures and/or elements from sellers upfront stating such are in fact custom made and not trying to pass them off as official product (Brick Builders Pro and Firestar Toys come to mind). Now in the case with off brands guilty in outright copying what LEGO does but subpar quality like Lele, Bela, Decool, Enlighten, Sluban, and so on, the site's stance is quite the opposite.

I suppose the short answer would be if the item is made "by the fans for the fans" then it is alright.

There are plenty of already established topics to post in but nothing making any mandatory. They are simply there as easy to find, post, and discuss various "catch all" subjects. You can always start up a new thread to show off your latest works.

Thanks OrcKing for the clarifications. The listing clearly states that the figures are compatible to but not made by Lego so I think we're good. I find that these custom figures are important to the hobby because without access to them I don't think I would have made this MOC knowing the figures I need would be cost prohibitive to acquire. Having said that, I would much prefer it if the official figures are available at reasonable prices (discounted Star Wars battle packs are awesome). THanks for your effort moderating the site and uploading content!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...