Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

When ordering multiple parts from Bricklink, the best way to go is to set up a Wishlist.

First though you need to know the ID number of the exact parts you're looking for, and the simplest way to do that is to use Brickset..

Go to https://brickset.com/parts and select Choose a Colour > Black. gets you here: https://brickset.com/parts/colour-Black

Then narrow down the type of part you want.. > System  then the  > Tag > Plate.  

Brickset then gives you all the Black Plates available: https://brickset.com/parts/colour-Black/category-System/tag-Plate

You need to make note of the 2nd number under each picture.  So for a 2X12 Plate it will be 2445

Once you have a list of numbers, head over to BrickLink > Want > Create New List  (Blue button on top right).

If you don't have too many items then the manual method shouldn't take to long. In this example select Item Type > Part > Plate and put the number (say 2445) into the search tab. Now from the right hand side column click on the colour you want, and set Qty, New/Used and then > Add to List.

Once the list is finished, go back to the Main Wish list page, click on the list and then Buy All. There you can filter but=y location and see which sellers have all or only part of what you are looking for.

Enjoy...

• Like 3

I know them...but yeah...acronyms and abbreviations in general are the worse part of this website...as a newb

well this process has forced me to get better acquainted w/ BL...figuring out that website has been a process 4shure.  Finally reached a point where I can identify a single piece (2x4 plate) anmd narrow down the sellers by price...would still like to drill down to only US sellers...cuz kinda weird buying internationally for about $5 worth of parts.

It's frustrating...start off looking for 1 thing...and then I find myself perusing everyone's shop...prices vary...and there's always the Shipping Cost thing hanging over me like a spectre...and finally I just give-up.  I've tried to shop at BL on multiple occasions for the past 3 months and EVERTIME...walk away and end up just using EBAY. Maybe I just need to pop my BL cherry and it will get easier.

To get US only sellers, when looking at an item screen and using the Items for Sale tab, make sure you click on "advanced options" (or perhaps it is called "more options" - going off my memory here). This opens up an extra line of filter options, which includes a seller location option. I am pretty sure you can do the same when you have a wishlist and ask BL to "Buy" the items.

And regarding finding stuff on BL, I would study the parts catalog for a bit to help understand the generic naming standards. Once those become familiar it is actually fairly easy, and there are some anomalies but those become the exceptions you will remember. Also, one tip I got from someone here that helped me a lot is using the "-pattern" modifier in a search to eliminate all the different printed options of a given piece, e.g. "tile 2x4 -pattern" gives you just the 2x4 tile pieces (including modified variants if any) without all the different prints and stickered versions.

• Like 3

Also, one tip I got from someone here that helped me a lot is using the "-pattern" modifier in a search to eliminate all the different printed options of a given piece, e.g. "tile 2x4 -pattern" gives you just the 2x4 tile pieces (including modified variants if any) without all the different prints and stickered versions.

This is an awesome tip, thank you for this. Didn't know about it despite years of using BL.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thebrickdad said:

When ordering multiple parts from Bricklink, the best way to go is to set up a Wishlist.

First though you need to know the ID number of the exact parts you're looking for, and the simplest way to do that is to use Brickset..

Go to https://brickset.com/parts and select Choose a Colour > Black. gets you here: https://brickset.com/parts/colour-Black

Then narrow down the type of part you want.. > System  then the  > Tag > Plate.  

Brickset then gives you all the Black Plates available: https://brickset.com/parts/colour-Black/category-System/tag-Plate

You need to make note of the 2nd number under each picture.  So for a 2X12 Plate it will be 2445

Once you have a list of numbers, head over to BrickLink > Want > Create New List  (Blue button on top right).

If you don't have too many items then the manual method shouldn't take to long. In this example select Item Type > Part > Plate and put the number (say 2445) into the search tab. Now from the right hand side column click on the colour you want, and set Qty, New/Used and then > Add to List.

Once the list is finished, go back to the Main Wish list page, click on the list and then Buy All. There you can filter but=y location and see which sellers have all or only part of what you are looking for.

Enjoy...

Thanks for the help...this is what I wanted to see what types of plates are available for black (or I could just check out some of my Batman sets).

6 hours ago, Phil B said:

To get US only sellers, when looking at an item screen and using the Items for Sale tab, make sure you click on "advanced options" (or perhaps it is called "more options" - going off my memory here). This opens up an extra line of filter options, which includes a seller location option. I am pretty sure you can do the same when you have a wishlist and ask BL to "Buy" the items.

And regarding finding stuff on BL, I would study the parts catalog for a bit to help understand the generic naming standards. Once those become familiar it is actually fairly easy, and there are some anomalies but those become the exceptions you will remember. Also, one tip I got from someone here that helped me a lot is using the "-pattern" modifier in a search to eliminate all the different printed options of a given piece, e.g. "tile 2x4 -pattern" gives you just the 2x4 tile pieces (including modified variants if any) without all the different prints and stickered versions.

Thanks fil-b

On 2/1/2019 at 6:53 PM, tyclin said:

Some advice as to dealing with a problem buyer on bricklink.

I am new to selling on bricklink but I have been selling on Amazon/Ebay for a few years so certainly encountered some problem buyers here and there. I have high standard of packing and have been receiving 5/5 feedback with sometimes praising how well the sets are being packed.

In summary,

I am selling a set which is exclusive to Asia this year (guess you know what the set is). I posted pictures of the set to show the the condition of the box. This buyer was the first customer inquiring about the set and requested to see more pictures of the box.

Prior to the buyer ordering, they requested the cheapest shipping option and emailed me the following,

"i know your are new to BrickLink, I have over 1000 deals on BrickLink and have sent out many packages to all of the world, also items worth much more than this set and never had a problem. Almost never use priority shipping, and signature confirmation only if asked. And when I ship with in the United States almost always ship regular airmail and no problems. Please take advice from someone who has been shipping orders for over 25 years."

The shipping option was finally agreed upon and the order was placed by the buyer.

The set was packed as my usual standard with air caps and packing sheets as a cushion, the same as the other sales of the same set (and I confirmed with other buyers that they received the set in great condition and the packing was well done with no issue)

Unfortunately, USPS mishandled the package and damaged the packing box to the extent that the lego box was also damaged. In addition, there was oil stained on the packing box.

The buyer was upset about the lego box (which I could totally understand) and has been pretty aggressive in emails while we were trying to get this resolved (which I also filed a claim with USPS) as followed,

"Either send me another one ASAP and pack it properly or I would like immediate paypal refund."

"I know that it was in great condition before u packed it. I saw the pictures u sent me before. I’m willing to wait a few days. But I know after 1000’s of deals. That when u pack a box like u did so close inner box to outer there is almost always a issue. And also it should not matter what I wanted it for as investment or to build. I asked u to package it carefully and to me it was not. I agree the post office is at fault as well but ur packing was also poor. And by the the way when did I ask for 2 day shipping regular priority would have been fine. If I have to send it back to u, I’m not paying the shipping g that will be up to u to pay"

"Send me a full refund $140 to ship it back to you. $140. Also u pay all PayPal fees so total I should receive from is $14"

I explained that I will calculate the refund (instead, the buyer calculate the refund for me).

"Calculated ? It’s $140 . I’m not paying anything for this. It not my problem like I said the post office did mess up but so did u in ur packaging.I’m requesting my refund and then I will send it back"

Then I explained to the buyer that the item needs to be shipped back to me in my possession; then, I will refund (that has been always the way I sell on Amazon or Ebay)

"I sent money to u without having the item, send me the refund and I will send to u"

????

I am in ?with this bricklink member (who is the buyer and seller).

Greatly appreciate any advice or suggestion.

Help again!!

This is following the above ordeal.

This bricklink member continued,

"I have the set all packed and ready to go,

Just waiting for u to PayPal me the full refund and the cost to ship it back to you. I know the post office was major at fault in this situation but we will agree to disagree about how u packed it. Please refund to my PayPal account ASAP so I can get another one from someone else

Price for item : $120
 Original Shipping : $17.30
Cost to ship back to u: $17.30

Total to send to me via PayPal $156.50

I should not have to pay anything for this order not my fault any of it."

I explained again that the item needs to be shipped back and the item needs to be checked for "unopened and sealed" before any refund could be processed. (As an amazon buyer and seller, when I return an item, I am aware that the refund is processed once the item is accepted by the carrier; however, Amazon has a way to make sure that the item returned is genuine and can take the refund away easily if the item returned is fake one; as an Amazon seller, when buyers return the set, I have to get the item back in my possession and check for the item's condition, ie sealed and unopened before I can process the refund because I encountered the buyers who stated "no longer needed", but the seal was opened for no reason, and I ended up having to assemble the set myself to make sure all the pieces were there and process the partial refund).

"I can send u a picture of the seal and why would I open it with that damage. What is there to check? the set was damaged badly. Many cooperate companies and people i have dealt with have issued a refund before they receive the item. The Lego company has done it many times in the past as well as BrickLink members. To them it’s a common courtesy to the person who received the damaged items. 

Plus I trusted u to send me the item as the seller and ordered and paid u. Now u need to trust ur buyer and refund me promptly. 

My experience in over 20 over deals should warrant some trust on ur part."

Any more suggestions?

I think you are engaging too much back and forth with this guy. All that you need to say and continue to say is below:

Hi, 

I'm sorry that USPS damaged your package. I have included a prepaid shipping label attached to this message so that you can return the order. Once the item has been shipped back to me and inspected, I will be happy to refund you your original payment. 

I do not offer refunds without first receiving and inspecting a return. 

Best, 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tyclin said:

Help again!!

This is following the above ordeal.

This bricklink member continued,

"I have the set all packed and ready to go,

Just waiting for u to PayPal me the full refund and the cost to ship it back to you. I know the post office was major at fault in this situation but we will agree to disagree about how u packed it. Please refund to my PayPal account ASAP so I can get another one from someone else

Price for item : $120
 Original Shipping : $17.30
Cost to ship back to u: $17.30

Total to send to me via PayPal $156.50

I should not have to pay anything for this order not my fault any of it."

I explained again that the item needs to be shipped back and the item needs to be checked for "unopened and sealed" before any refund could be processed. (As an amazon buyer and seller, when I return an item, I am aware that the refund is processed once the item is accepted by the carrier; however, Amazon has a way to make sure that the item returned is genuine and can take the refund away easily if the item returned is fake one; as an Amazon seller, when buyers return the set, I have to get the item back in my possession and check for the item's condition, ie sealed and unopened before I can process the refund because I encountered the buyers who stated "no longer needed", but the seal was opened for no reason, and I ended up having to assemble the set myself to make sure all the pieces were there and process the partial refund).

"I can send u a picture of the seal and why would I open it with that damage. What is there to check? the set was damaged badly. Many cooperate companies and people i have dealt with have issued a refund before they receive the item. The Lego company has done it many times in the past as well as BrickLink members. To them it’s a common courtesy to the person who received the damaged items. 

Plus I trusted u to send me the item as the seller and ordered and paid u. Now u need to trust ur buyer and refund me promptly. 

My experience in over 20 over deals should warrant some trust on ur part."

Any more suggestions?

Tell him to abide by your return policies.  Don't send him any money until you get the item back in hand. It's the only way to ensure equity and fair trade. 

Furthermore,  I don't trust people who can't spell out possessive pronouns or adjectives properly, much less use proper spelling.

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Reference to multiple prior returns on BL and SAH is another red flag.

Great point.

I like TANV's response.

Don't let them guilt you into thinking your return policy is the exception.  Reads like a scam in addition to making my head hurt.  Either they won't ship it back, they'll claim that they put it in the mail and it'll get "lost" coming back to you, or you'll get back junk.  At this point, I would think he probably dropkicked the box in his garage and let it skid across the oil stained floor.  He's setting it up to keep it for free.

Request the tracking number when he claims he mailed it.  If it comes back to you sealed you'll at least have the option of selling it with the caveat of damaged box or no box and try to at least break even on the price.  Set up your phone to video getting the box back and opening it for inspection. Extreme measure, but maybe some insurance if he sends back trash.

P.S., I'd also like this person's username PM'ed.

36 minutes ago, NIevo said:

As others have said don't let him pressure you into a refund before you have the item in hand.  His wording and sentence structures almost seem like English is not his first language and I would be watching for a scam as well.

A lot can be said about this post, but I’ll just say ....stupid. How the hell English being second language makes somebody a scammer? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lordoflego said:

A lot can be said about this post, but I’ll just say ....stupid. How the hell English being second language makes somebody a scammer? 

Wasn't meaning that just because it might be a second language it automatically makes him a scammer, sorry if it sounded that way.  You can tell a lot about a person trying to scam you though in regard to how they use words, examples, phrases that seem to be "copy and paste" etc.  Just because someone has a US address or contact doesn't mean they aren't sitting behind a computer in another country and either using fake accounts or have hacked into authentic US accounts.  You see that on eBay all the time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NIevo said:

Wasn't meaning that just because it might be a second language it automatically makes him a scammer, sorry if it sounded that way.  You can tell a lot about a person trying to scam you though in regard to how they use words, examples, phrases that seem to be "copy and paste" etc.  Just because someone has a US address or contact doesn't mean they aren't sitting behind a computer in another country and either using fake accounts or have hacked into authentic US accounts.  You see that on eBay all the time.

gooooood-afternoon-madaam-you-have-won-a

• Like 1

I'm having a problem on bricklink. Normal set values work fine, but the part out value always shows in usd rather than my local currency. My settings have gbp and it works everywhere but on the part out value page, I've tried on various browsers/platforms but no joy. Can't get an answer on the forum other than change currency in my settings which I have done or that I'm not logged in properly which I am. Anyone else have this issue?

On 2/1/2019 at 6:53 PM, tyclin said:

Some advice as to dealing with a problem buyer on bricklink.

I am new to selling on bricklink but I have been selling on Amazon/Ebay for a few years so certainly encountered some problem buyers here and there. I have high standard of packing and have been receiving 5/5 feedback with sometimes praising how well the sets are being packed.

In summary,

I sell a set which is exclusive to Asia this year (guess you know what the set is). I posted pictures of the set to show the the condition of the box. This buyer was the first customer inquiring about the set and requested to see more pictures of the box.

Prior to the buyer ordering, the buyer requested the cheap shipping option and emailed me the following,

"i know your are new to BrickLink, I have over 1000 deals on BrickLink and have sent out many packages to all of the world, also items worth much more than this set and never had a problem. Almost never use priority shipping, and signature confirmation only if asked. And when I ship with in the United States almost always ship regular airmail and no problems. Please take advice from someone who has been shipping orders for over 25 years."

The shipping option was finally agreed upon and the order was placed by the buyer.

The set was packed as my usual standard with air caps and packing sheets as cushion as other sales of the same set (and I confirmed with other buyers that they received the set in great condition and the packing was well done with no issue)

Unfortunately, USPS mishandled the package and damaged the packing corrugated box to the extent, the lego box was also damaged. In addition, there was oil stained on the packing box.

The buyer was upset about the lego box (which I could totally understand) and has been pretty aggressive in emails while we were trying to get this resolved (which I also filed a claim with USPS) as followed,

"Either send me another one ASAP and pack it properly or I would like immediate paypal refund."

"I know that it was in great condition before u packed it. I saw the pictures u sent me before. I’m willing to wait a few days. But I know after 1000’s of deals. That when u pack a box like u did so close inner box to outer there is almost always a issue. And also it should not matter what I wanted it for as investment or to build. I asked u to package it carefully and to me it was not. I agree the post office is at fault as well but ur packing was also poor. And by the the way when did I ask for 2 day shipping regular priority would have been fine. If I have to send it back to u, I’m not paying the shipping g that will be up to u to pay"

"Send me a full refund $140 to ship it back to you. $140. Also u pay all PayPal fees so total I should receive from is $14"

I explained that I will calculate the refund (instead, the buyer calculate the refund for me).

"Calculated ? It’s $140 . I’m not paying anything for this. It not my problem like I said the post office did mess up but so did u in ur packaging.I’m requesting my refund and then I will send it back"

Then I explained to the buyer that the item needs to be shipped back to me in my possession; then, I will refund (that has been always the way I sell on Amazon or Ebay)

"I sent money to u without having the item, send me the refund and I will send to u"

????

I am in ?with this bricklink member (who is the buyer and seller).

Greatly appreciate any advice or suggestion.

Hope this will finally come to the end with this bricklink member. 

I finally got the set back in my possession. From the beginning, this member was so critical about the shipping cost ($17.30) saying that 

"i know your are new to BrickLink, I have over 1000 deals on BrickLink and have sent out many packages to all of the world, also items worth much more than this set and never had a problem. Almost never use priority shipping, and signature confirmation only if asked. And when I ship with in the United States almost always ship regular airmail and no problems. Please take advice from someone who has been shipping orders for over 25 years." (which was in the quote above)

Since the member demanded that I pay for the return shipping which I also agreed since the buyer was not at any fault.

The member returned the set in its originally oil stained, crushed corrugated packing box, which was further placed in most likely a slightly bigger packing box from Lego company and chose the USPS retail, costing $26.10 with 5-7 business days to finally reach me, compared to $17.30 priority mail, sent in 2 business days except mine packing was severely damaged because of USPS mishandling (usually I feel the shorter transit time should come with lesser risk for mishandling but of course, no guarantee). Now, the member is demanding the following,

"u have received the set I sent back. Please promptly send me my $***.** + $4.00 to cover PayPal fees."

I thought I, as seller, was being charged for PayPal fee, not the buyer. When I refund the total amount originally paid to me, the PayPal fee will be fashioned into the full refund. And the buyer receives the full original amount.

I would like to ask why this member is asking for $4 to cover PayPal fees? Did I miss something? 

Hope this will finally come to the end with this bricklink member. 
I finally got the set back in my possession. From the beginning, this member was so critical about the shipping cost ($17.30) saying that 
"i know your are new to BrickLink, I have over 1000 deals on BrickLink and have sent out many packages to all of the world, also items worth much more than this set and never had a problem. Almost never use priority shipping, and signature confirmation only if asked. And when I ship with in the United States almost always ship regular airmail and no problems. Please take advice from someone who has been shipping orders for over 25 years." (which was in the quote above)
Since the member demanded that I pay for the return shipping which I also agreed since the buyer was not at any fault.
The member returned the set in its originally oil stained, crushed corrugated packing box, which was further placed in most likely a slightly bigger packing box from Lego company and chose the USPS retail, costing $26.10 with 5-7 business days to finally reach me, compared to $17.30 priority mail, sent in 2 business days except mine packing was severely damaged because of USPS mishandling (usually I feel the shorter transit time should come with lesser risk for mishandling but of course, no guarantee). Now, the member is demanding the following,
"u have received the set I sent back. Please promptly send me my $***.** + $4.00 to cover PayPal fees."
I thought I, as seller, was being charged for PayPal fee, not the buyer. When I refund the total amount originally paid to me, the PayPal fee will be fashioned into the full refund. And the buyer receives the full original amount.
I would like to ask why this member is asking for $4 to cover PayPal fees? Did I miss something? 

In the future, you should provide them with a mailing label if you’re agreeing to cover postage. That way, they can send it back as is, and can’t extract more money out of you. Almost sounds like he did that as a revenge tactic.

You should just process the PayPal refund. There are no fees he paid on his end. Just hit refund and be done. Block him on Bricklink. And if he doesn’t like it, he can pound sand by contacting Bricklink and PayPal himself - which will both side with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Question: So I ordered a small set a bit back from a Seller on BL. They sent it to me stuffed in a padded envelope and the box got smashed up. Pieces are all there though.  I'm somewhat annoyed that the box got smashed up but what can you do?  Should I just leave a Neutral Comment or No Comment at all? 

I'm not going to leave negative feedback for something like this but on the other hand...it grinds my gears slightly.

11 minutes ago, TANV said:

Quick Question: So I ordered a small set a bit back from a Seller on BL. They sent it to me stuffed in a padded envelope and the box got smashed up. Pieces are all there though.  I'm somewhat annoyed that the box got smashed up but what can you do?  Should I just leave a Neutral Comment or No Comment at all? 

I'm not going to leave negative feedback for something like this but on the other hand...it grinds my gears slightly.

I personally would contact the seller and tell them how the set came with the intention of getting some money back.  If I get a discount i want; great.  I leave positive with note saying package came damaged but seller fixed the issue.   If no discount; I get a partial refund going through paypal and leave neutral or negative.

Edited by lego rules
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest betsy805
20 hours ago, TANV said:

I agree with above poster....definitely contact the seller first.  Give them a chance to show their customer service before leaving feedback.  Negative/Neutral feedback should always occur after giving the seller a chance to fix things, but you definitely should not let the smashed box go without telling them.

Edited by betsy805

20 hours ago, lego rules said:

I personally would contact the seller and tell them how the set came with the intention of getting some money back.  If I get a discount i want; great.  I leave positive with note saying package came damaged but seller fixed the issue.   If no discount; I get a partial refund going through paypal and leave neutral or negative.

I just checked their store terms. All sales are final.  However, I'll still contact them and tell them that I'm disappointed.