Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

30 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

Are they trying to pay in USD or a local currency? I've only had problems with payments rejected when, say, a New Zealander attempted to pay in NZD rather than USD. I think Paypal auto-rejects anything other than USD (for US sellers), unless you adjust settings otherwise.

Edit: They can pay by card without paypal account, via paypal. Just click "Pay with Credit or Debit Card."

Thanks for that, they ended up creating a new paypal account, so same outcome as last time. :)  

With Paypal Onsite it will always match the Bricklink and Paypal addresses. But Paypal won't accept an address in a different country than where the Paypal account is registered. So this will cause a problem if the Bricklink address is not in the same country where the buyer's Paypal account is registered.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a major problem and need some advice. I sold a new Palace Cinema a couple days ago and everything went smoothly. I have little feedback on bricklink as I am starting up, and buyer had 42. All checked out. He paid immediately and I shipped immediately. We agreed to ship all the sealed bags and instructions so I load them up in a priority box and shipped.

Well today the buyer messaged me and sent a pic showing his doorstep and said "this is how I found the package", and also stated all that was remaining in it was one of the 12 sealed bags of pieces and the instruction book. Implying someone stole 95% of the set from the box.

What does one do in this situation? Obviously this wasn't my fault... but who is expected to eat this cost? Curious if anyone else has dealt with theft and how they've handled it. It's odd to me the "thief" left one package... why not take the whole box at this point? and why leave that other package untouched? Unless he/she was caught and had to flee?

Any help is much appreciated, sigh

imagea.jpg

Edited by scatttcat

1 minute ago, scatttcat said:

I have a major problem and need some advice. I sold a new Palace Cinema a couple days ago and everything went smoothly. I have little feedback on bricklink as I am starting up, and buyer had 42. All checked out. He paid immediately and I shipped immediately. We agreed to ship all the sealed bags and instructions so I load them up in a priority box and shipped.

Well today the buyer messaged me and sent a pic showing his doorstep and said "this is how I found the package", and also stated all that was remaining in it was one of the 12 sealed bags of pieces and the instruction book. Implying someone stole 95% of the set from the box.

What does one do in this situation? Obviously this wasn't my fault... but who is expected to eat this cost? Curious if anyone else has dealt with theft and how they've handled it. It's odd to me the "thief" left one package... why not take the whole box at this point? and why leave that other package untouched? Unless he/she was caught and had to flee?

Sounds like you need to ask your buyer to raise this with USPS first, as this is an issue that occurred during shipping. Looks like you used Priority mail - did you add extra insurance on top of the default insurance they provide? That would be your second step - file a claim against USPS Priority Mail insurance and get that money sent to your buyer.

Sounds like you need to ask your buyer to raise this with USPS first, as this is an issue that occurred during shipping. Looks like you used Priority mail - did you add extra insurance on top of the default insurance they provide? That would be your second step - file a claim against USPS Priority Mail insurance and get that money sent to your buyer.

Why do I have to do this with USPS as a second option?? Isn’t there an element of the package was successfully delivered therefore I have done my responsibility as a seller??

I just don’t get how I am responsible in any way for a thief in their area?

I’m not trying to be aggressive, it’s just so frustrating that I should eat this cost when I did everything correctly

2 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

Why do I have to do this with USPS as a second option?? Isn’t there an element of the package was successfully delivered therefore I have done my responsibility as a seller??

I’m not trying to be aggressive, it’s just so frustrating that I should eat this cost when I did everything correctly

Sorry to be snippy, but you are on the wrong site if you want someone to agree with you.  Everyone here is a professional or semi-professional seller.  Seller is always responsible until the item is safely in the buyer's hands.  That's what insurance is for if you are uncomfortable sending something valuable.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

Since this is BrickLink, yes, of course, you can take a defensive stand with your buyer and claim you did your job. Don't think there is much the buyer can do - perhaps file a claim with Paypal?

However, the best thing to do, especially on a friendly marketplace like BrickLink, is to help out your buyer without immediately assuming you will eat the cost. Help him take the right action steps to get this resolved. Assist with providing proof of shipment (and weight). If possible, use the PM insurance to cover him where needed. A little goes a long way.

• Like 2

Sorry to be snippy, but you are on the wrong site if you want someone to agree with you.  Everyone here is a professional or semi-professional seller.  Seller is always responsible until the item is safely in the buyer's hands.  That's what insurance is for if you are uncomfortable sending something valuable.

So at the sellers doorstep and listed as “delivered” isn’t safely in the buyer’s hand??

If not, then what is?

1 minute ago, scatttcat said:

So at the sellers doorstep and listed as “delivered” isn’t safely in the buyer’s hand??

If not, then what is?

Usually when they say it is (or go long enough without telling you it isn't that you can assume it is). 

15 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

DadsAFOL covered the answer to your question (correctly IMO), but my suggestion would be to blur those images somewhat, they're such high res that zooming in you can see all the pertinent addresses. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

If not, then what is?

How do you know there is a thief?  Looks like you used one piece of tape over the crappy Amazon tape.

You may not be cut out for selling.

Edited by lego rules

7 minutes ago, Pebble&Park said:

Usually when they say it is (or go long enough without telling you it isn't that you can assume it is). 

DadsAFOL covered the answer to your question (correctly IMO), but my suggestion would be to blur those images somewhat, they're such high res that zooming in you can see all the pertinent addresses. 

Sorry, good call. I adjusted it. Can buyer or myself file with PayPal at all? Since the shipping  label was produced through there? 

6 minutes ago, lego rules said:

How do you know there is a thief?  Looks like you used one piece of tape over the crappy Amazon tape.

You may not be cut out for selling.

Well.... since buyer reported that all the contents were taken and only the instruction booklet was left that leads me to believe someone stole it....Unless you are implying everything fell out when my "one strand of tape" magically snapped?.... okay...

I sell plenty on eBay, just haven't sold via BL. I shipped this thing as properly as you should. Loads of air bubbles and at least 3 pieces of tape.

I’ve got an annoying BL buyer right now. I shouldn’t be surprised, he’s a 0 feedback buyer. I usually give them the benefit of the doubt.

Buyer sends payment. $50 item. His PayPal address and Bricklink address doing match.

So back and forth with him, getting him to change his address. I refund the money in the meantime so he can issue the payment again with the correct address.

Tried to get me to send with a screen shot of the correct address.

Nothing from him last night. Today, I ask him to pay, he says “I was waiting for you to send a payment link” (use the one from before!) and I resend.

No payment yet.

I doubt he’ll pay (maybe he will). Clearly I know better than to send. But wanted to share.

• Like 1

Well.... since buyer reported that all the contents were taken and only the instruction booklet was left that leads me to believe someone stole it....Unless you are implying everything fell out when my "one strand of tape" magically snapped?.... okay...
I sell plenty on eBay, just haven't sold via BL. I shipped this thing as properly as you should. Loads of air bubbles and at least 3 pieces of tape.

Did you ask him if he called the police?
That could be a good place to start. It looks like he got robbed. If I found a package like that on my doorstep, that’s what I’d do. You can gauge his response to that as well.

If it came unraveled during transit, contact usps. The rest Could be sitting in the back of someone’s truck. At the least you can complain that they left a package in someone’s doorstep like that. Tell them they should make the same complaint as well.
  • Like 1

I’ve got an annoying BL buyer right now. I shouldn’t be surprised, he’s a 0 feedback buyer. I usually give them the benefit of the doubt.

Buyer sends payment. $50 item. His PayPal address and Bricklink address doing match.

So back and forth with him, getting him to change his address. I refund the money in the meantime so he can issue the payment again with the correct address.

Tried to get me to send with a screen shot of the correct address.

Nothing from him last night. Today, I ask him to pay, he says “I was waiting for you to send a payment link” (use the one from before!) and I resend.

No payment yet.

I doubt he’ll pay (maybe he will). Clearly I know better than to send. But wanted to share.

I’ve had 18 orders so far this month. Nine of them were (0) feed back. Two more had less than (3). Is BrickLink becoming more popular?

So far so good. Had some slow payers. But surprised to have zero NPBs. And no complaints about shipping costs or requests to cancel.
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, donbee said:

Did you ask him if he called the police?
That could be a good place to start. It looks like he got robbed. If I found a package like that on my doorstep, that’s what I’d do. You can gauge his response to that as well.

If it came unraveled during transit, contact usps. The rest Could be sitting in the back of someone’s truck. At the least you can complain that they left a package in someone’s doorstep like that. Tell them they should make the same complaint as well.

Yeah, I've contacted him twice now and no response back yet. I just told him we can figure it out and I will file any claim he wants me to on my end, so we'll see what he says. I would assume he's actively looking into it right now!

Thanks for the helpful advice and not immediately assuming I don't know how to use tape.... haha ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, donbee said:

I’ve had 18 orders so far this month. Nine of them were (0) feed back. Two more had less than (3). Is BrickLink becoming more popular?

So far so good. Had some slow payers. But surprised to have zero NPBs. And no complaints about shipping costs or requests to cancel.

I think so. I've seen ads on Facebook, IIRC. The lightning checkout option probably helps too, especially with those comparing to eBay and Amazon.

• Like 1

I’ve had plenty of 0 feedback buyers with transactions going smoothly. I don’t want to discourage anyone from accepting orders from a new buyer.

Bricklink is pretty popular to talk about on Reddit. I think there’s an uptick in people looking for very specific things and being directed that way.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, scatttcat said:

Just a thought, something does not sound right here - if someone was going to steal this package they would never  stand there and open a box and attempt to pick up 20 packets of Lego (ever tried holding 20 packets of lego), and then run off when you can just grab the box and run.  As noted, get them to report the theft to the police and I bet they will also question this too.  Keep asking them how the police have reacted.  Certainly in the UK and I think in the US the seller is always responsible for the package until the customer is happy - the delivery contract is with the seller - so contact the delivery company too.

In future - always use "signed for" then if the package is left on the front door step then delivery company is at fault no question.  Also - the buyer has first option to reject the package because of fault - and the delivery company is at fault if the packaging damaged.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scatttcat said:

Yeah, I've contacted him twice now and no response back yet. I just told him we can figure it out and I will file any claim he wants me to on my end, so we'll see what he says. I would assume he's actively looking into it right now!

Thanks for the helpful advice and not immediately assuming I don't know how to use tape.... haha 1f644.png

Sorry to hear about the issue.  I make buyers pay for insurance for anything over $100 for my BL orders, and I'll add in signature confirmation also if it's a low feedback buyer or very high value item, generally over $200.  I would definitely get the carrier involved since it was shipped USPS, and if they assume theft, the police as well.  If his story is legit, he'll have no problem doing these things.  And to the tape thing, I've heard you have to put in on sticky side down, so make sure you do it that way in the future to avoid any issues but maybe tape is different in Canada.

As for the zero feedbacks, I've had 3 NPB's in the last couple weeks after not having a single one in my first 3 months on BL.  Prior to these recent purchases, I had very good experiences with them.  Paypal can be confusing to a newbie, but they generally get it.  

Just ran into a problem right now. Buyers want to buy a large sized SC sealed set from me.  However, the shipping options aren't leeting them buy it. What Shipping options do you guys use for larger oversized sets for both domestic and international?

Sorry to hear about the issue.  I make buyers pay for insurance for anything over $100 for my BL orders, and I'll add in signature confirmation also if it's a low feedback buyer or very high value item, generally over $200.  I would definitely get the carrier involved since it was shipped USPS, and if they assume theft, the police as well.  If his story is legit, he'll have no problem doing these things.  And to the tape thing, I've heard you have to put in on sticky side down, so make sure you do it that way in the future to avoid any issues but maybe tape is different in Canada.
As for the zero feedbacks, I've had 3 NPB's in the last couple weeks after not having a single one in my first 3 months on BL.  Prior to these recent purchases, I had very good experiences with them.  Paypal can be confusing to a newbie, but they generally get it.  

File the claim online. It takes hardly anytime and you’ll have a check within a week. Upload the pic(s) he sent you too. You are already covered for at least $50 for priority

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk