LEGO suing MEGA Brands, LaRose, and Best-Lock for Friends patent infringement

TheOrcKing

The National Law Journal is reporting that the US International Trade Commission has given permission for LEGO to bring forth patent and copyright infringement cases against three competitors known for their own line of block construction toys which are MEGA Brands Incorporated, LaRose Industries, and Best-Lock Construction Toys Incorporated.

From what I can make of the cases brought forth so far (I am still going over the document) LEGO is showing their signature "mini-doll" figure from the Friends line is being infringed upon by MEGA Brands with their "My Life As" line, LaRose's LITE BRIX line, and Best Lock's "Fairy Tale High Little Mermaid" line. LEGO is also providing evidence of outright copying a couple of their set designs with Sunshine Ranch and Heartlake Shopping Mall. A small list of other infringed patents has been stated well as certain exhibits made confidential but mainly about copying the LEGO Company's "mini-doll" design.

bp_1426122645__mega_my_life_as.jpg

bp_1426122655__litebrix_sunset_mall.jpg

bp_1426122668__best_lock_fairytale.jpg

Source: The Brick Fan

• Like 1

I would agree that some of those sets and dolls are direct copies of some LEGO sets, but let's not act like the mini doll was all TLG's idea. They're pretty similar to Polly Pocket mini dolls.

The general ideas are indeed similar. LEGO is getting these companies on infringing basically the shaping of each specific part comprising their Friends line minidoll. All (LEGO, MEGA Brands, LaRose, Best Lock) torsos have the same curving outward arms with cupped hands, torsos with skirt, legs and rounded feet, and rounded head shaping. Copying an idea is one thing but here it is more about using a design almost the same of what LEGO has patented.

The general ideas are indeed similar. LEGO is getting these companies on infringing basically the shaping of each specific part comprising their Friends line minidoll. All (LEGO, MEGA Brands, LaRose, Best Lock) torsos have the same curving outward arms with cupped hands, torsos with skirt, legs and rounded feet, and rounded head shaping.

I wouldn't have a big problem if they used similar dolls, but at least made an effort to let the sets look different. I mean - the dolls are supposed to look like humans, which puts some constraints on the design. Arms typically have to curve outwards - inwards would not look good. Hands have to be cupped to be able to hold something - which you want for a play set. Figures need torsos, and if you target children they better have skirts/clothing on it. Legs are similar, and if you want these to work in a "studded environment" there is no other option than somewhat round feet. And about the head: how else would you present it apart from rounded (outside of Minecraft that is :) )

I hope they don't try to make the 'doll design' itself the main point, but the strikingly similarity of the sets.

I hope they don't try to make the 'doll design' itself the main point, but the strikingly similarity of the sets.

The cases of infringement against specific parts (what makes up each LEGO mini-doll) is a main focal point however LEGO is bringing forth points of set design copies as well. So far the company guiltiest of copying the Friends mini-doll design is Lite Brix.

litebrix.jpg

Much as I hate to admit but Mega Brands "My Life As" own mini-doll does have a number of tiny details that could be considered different enough to not be illegal (knees, dimples, calves, elbows, etcetera) other than the fact they use the term "Mini Doll" right on the package but then again I don't think LEGO owns the term "mini-doll".

megablox.jpg

82705_main.jpg

MEGABLOKS_82707.jpg

MEGABLOKS_82710.jpg

And in Best Lock's case ....well they're just creepy.