Star Wars Buildable Figures

Bold-Arrow

12 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

Catch 22... if we agree Vader will do well, everyone will stockpile Vader, thus keeping the price down because of excess supply. 

Catch or no catch, i will be putting my money else where, maybe General Grievous for personal display.

Edited by Lordoflego

I wound up with 3 of these. You can see my Review of Obi-Wan Kenobi here. I wasn't thrilled. Between that and the Luke, I was prepared to write these off entirely. My brother gave me Grievous for Christmas and a part of me was like "thanks but no thanks." I built it, and Grievous is fantastic. Sorry, no review. In fact, Grievous makes Obi-Wan a better figure. But Grievous is supposed to look like that.

I honestly don't see major performance from these guys in future. Sure, Batman and Iron Man did well post retirement, but I remember walking past most of the Super Heroes like this for a very long time post retirement. When most of the Star Wars stuff was gone at Christmastime, these guys remained behind to fill shelf space. If you want the ones with the best chance of appreciating, go for armored characters and Rey. Rey's going to be the dark horse, and the armored characters look better. Avoid anyone else with a human face because they look strangely awkward. Unless I am 180 degrees wrong and the expensive ones will be the ones that people didn't buy originally. Future collectors might have more difficulty filling in a set with the human looking ones.

As for me, I gave out Vaders as Christmas gifts because I fell under the hype train, and when I came out of the other side, I realized I had some stuff I didn't believe in.

10 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I wound up with 3 of these. You can see my Review of Obi-Wan Kenobi here. I wasn't thrilled. Between that and the Luke, I was prepared to write these off entirely. My brother gave me Grievous for Christmas and a part of me was like "thanks but no thanks." I built it, and Grievous is fantastic. Sorry, no review. In fact, Grievous makes Obi-Wan a better figure. But Grievous is supposed to look like that.

I honestly don't see major performance from these guys in future. Sure, Batman and Iron Man did well post retirement, but I remember walking past most of the Super Heroes like this for a very long time post retirement. When most of the Star Wars stuff was gone at Christmastime, these guys remained behind to fill shelf space. If you want the ones with the best chance of appreciating, go for armored characters and Rey. Rey's going to be the dark horse, and the armored characters look better. Avoid anyone else with a human face because they look strangely awkward. Unless I am 180 degrees wrong and the expensive ones will be the ones that people didn't buy originally. Future collectors might have more difficulty filling in a set with the human looking ones.

As for me, I gave out Vaders as Christmas gifts because I fell under the hype train, and when I came out of the other side, I realized I had some stuff I didn't believe in.

I tend to agree with your assessment.  Although, I will say that the microfighters line had a similar vibe to them where I wondered if anyone would care, and now most of those are doing very good post retirement. So you just never know.  Star Wars fans are a weird fanatical bunch.

6 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I tend to agree with your assessment.  Although, I will say that the microfighters line had a similar vibe to them where I wondered if anyone would care, and now most of those are doing very good post retirement. So you just never know.  Star Wars fans are a weird fanatical bunch.

well, in Star Wars circles, there was more positive chatter about microfighters than these. Plus, the price point is half or less of these.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

well, in Star Wars circles, there was more positive chatter about microfighters than these. Plus, the price point is half or less of these.

Yeah, personally I have no interest to invest in any of them.  I did invest in complete sets of the microfighters, but I agree with you here.  The entire bionicle look to these things leaves me cold, and like I said, if i'm going to invest or buy in figures, i'll just buy actual action figures from hasbro and leave these sit.  My brother and his sons love bionicle, and I always cringe when they give my son them for presents. ...  Its' one of those gifts I just want to regift just because I'd rather my son not get too caught up into wanting to collect them...

Well reasoned opinions, but at 50% off, I'd probably buy. Most of the reviews over on brickset.com have been super-positive, and I think they'll do well to sell as a whole wave. Getting one or two 50% off might not make me clear the shelves, but getting several complete sets with that kind of discount would be hard for me to resist. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mesje said:

Hi,

I have a possibility to buy some SW buildable figures for 50 % discount. The price is perfect, but most of the sets are from new wave (kylo ren, first order stormtrooper, etc), so i will sit on them at least 1-2 years more than retiring sets. Do you think it has a potential for collectors, or is it just for kids?

I might grab a complete set or two at 50% off. I was really mixed on these when they initially launched. I saw the General Grievous on display at a LEGO store and was impressed enough to grab a complete set of the wave 1 (Target combo + TRU combo + Cody and Fett single packs). Between rewards cards, discounted GCs, coupons, and eBay I'm probably in at 50% RRP myself. I like the set enough to keep it NISB for a rainy day, and I will probably get wave 2 as well, but I don't think I will go more than a single copy of each.

I have built the Kylo Ren and I think it looks rad!! They are so possible.  I have two Darth's and two Luke's so I guess I'm not really banking on them a great deal. I agree with the amour/helmeted figure's looking a lot better. But I just feel these could be quite collectible as a series and could have seen myself buying at twice the price if I'd missed them. Can't wait to build Darth and Luke and recreate the Final Death Star Duel.

18 hours ago, mesje said:

I have a possibility to buy some SW buildable figures for 50 % discount. The price is perfect, but most of the sets are from new wave (kylo ren, first order stormtrooper, etc), so i will sit on them at least 1-2 years more than retiring sets. Do you think it has a potential for collectors, or is it just for kids?

If captain phasma makes a come back in SW VIII you could make a big ROI...

1 minute ago, seapotato said:

Oh I didn't know it came with a poster. The armoured figures definitely look better. I might pick up a Captain Phasma for myself if I can find it discounted. There were some pics of added modifications to the stormtrooper figure and it looked really good.

only the exclusive bundles come with posters AFAIK.

16 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

only the exclusive bundles come with posters AFAIK.

Yes, this one, Toys'r us exclusive : http://brickset.com/sets/66536-1/Luke-Skywalker-and-Darth-Vader => "Poster Inside"

(and the Target one, set 66535 I guess : http://brickset.com/sets/66535-1/Battle-Pack-2-in-1, thanks jerryherb )

(a good set to invest in if you are interested by either figure, and not forget to add the keywords [75110 and 75111] or [75109 and 75012] in your auction of course)

Edited by biniou

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

These sets are winners.  You heard it here first.

You are hilarious.  I just read this whole thread, and a few months ago you were like "Nothing to see here, move along".   Now I see you've changed your tune. lol

Anyway, my opinion is that these will do pretty good after retirement.  So I'm waiting til closer to retirement before I buy these. Or at a nice discount.   I think the first Wave was ok, but nothing really excited me.  But the 2nd Wave(The Force Awakens) are much more appealing to me.  Kylo Ren, Phasma, Rey, FO Stormtrooper all look amazing.  Dare I say, this new generation of Star Wars characters has more potential than the Original & Prequel trilogy characters.

14 minutes ago, NWL14 said:

You are hilarious.  I just read this whole thread, and a few months ago you were like "Nothing to see here, move along".   Now I see you've changed your tune. lol

Anyway, my opinion is that these will do pretty good after retirement.  So I'm waiting til closer to retirement before I buy these. Or at a nice discount.   I think the first Wave was ok, but nothing really excited me.  But the 2nd Wave(The Force Awakens) are much more appealing to me.  Kylo Ren, Phasma, Rey, FO Stormtrooper all look amazing.  Dare I say, this new generation of Star Wars characters has more potential than the Original & Prequel trilogy characters.

LOL...You have taken out of context.  Read it again carefully..."Nothing to see here, move along," is a sarcastic way to say..."You really should be paying attention, but I don't want you to pay attention!"  Reverse psychology.  

• Like 2