40158 - Pirates Chess Set (2015)

TheOrcKing

7 hours ago, Lordoflego said:

With 4-5 that I bought, I'm just hoping people won't forget how to play chess by the time they're worth reselling.

People might not forget how to play chess, but playing chess on the Pirate Chess Set is a different game than your usual chess, as the pieces are non-recognizable...

Guest TabbyBoy

My 2 backordered ones arrived this morning 32H6 & 48S6 with... yet another Snow Globe! ;-)

Since the prices of Kingdoms Chess have dropped, I'm not hanging onto these for too long!

The "parabola" is an accurate way to describe LEGO resale prices these days as a lot are now dropping. The good news is no more long-term holds ;-)

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:23 AM, Phil B said:

People might not forget how to play chess, but playing chess on the Pirate Chess Set is a different game than your usual chess, as the pieces are non-recognizable...

Come now.  Only 12 pieces total are unrecognizable.  You can play around that, right?

• 1 month later...

From a Brickset review of the 40158 Pirates Chess set:

If you don't intend to actually build the chess set, however, the parts included are a godsend for anyone hoping to cobble up some Pirates MOCs. Lots of generic sand-yellow and blue bricks, lots of tiles, a palm tree, sand-yellow slopes, and all kinds of details for beefing up the other retail sets in the line. The large baseplates themselves are incredibly useful as starting points for a fort or for landscaping - the massive 16x16 plates are available in only very few sets, and this is an affordable way to get quite a few of them.

So 20 minifigs + all those bricks, tiles, slopes and baseplates together for €30 is certainly not bad! :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Yeah and one day you might even be able to sell it for as much as you paid for it!

Anything that has to be reduced by 50% by Lego and is still around 1 month after the original sale is a complete turd in my book. Great for personal build, right enough.

The lowest offer of this set on Marktplaats is €49,95. I'd wager that offering one set at €35 (cash in hand and pick up at the door) there I would sell it pretty quickly. But that would be hardly worth it. I'll keep them for a while, till they're truly gone and officially Retired, and then check again on Marktplaats. ;) 

Just now, Haay said:

The lowest offer of this set on Marktplaats is €49,95. I'd wager that offering one set at €35 (cash in hand and pick up at the door) there I would sell it pretty quickly. But that would be hardly worth it. I'll keep them for a while, till they're truly gone and officially Retired, and then check again on Marktplaats. ;) 

Especially when you factor in SAH shipping! Nice to do all the leg work for the buyer, though.

1 minute ago, Furious_george said:

Yeh right. 

If you really want one,  I am sure some kind BPer will help you out. Problem will be the shipping.

18 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Yeah and one day you might even be able to sell it for as much as you paid for it!

Anything that has to be reduced by 50% by Lego and is still around 1 month after the original sale is a complete turd in my book. Great for personal build, right enough.

Exactly. I hate the fact that the bluecoats in this set are "incomplete", but Pirates chess is still a great army builder for Pirates fans. 50% off is only 1.4€/minifigure. Plus you get a bunch of extra tiles and bricks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Especially when you factor in SAH shipping! Nice to do all the leg work for the buyer, though.

If you really want one,  I am sure some kind BPer will help you out. Problem will be the shipping.

Nah don't even want one.

Just out of interest, what are the free shipping minimums in other countries? What's Spains mate?

• Alpinemaps changed the title to 40158 - Pirates Chess Set (2015)