Packing Noodles.... have you used them?

ISO8T0

Wondering if anyone has used these before.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-7907-2BP-Packing-Noodles/dp/B000GLS29E

Conventional peanuts worked out well for me for packing items before the holidays.

I've just about used up my stash and am looking at these as well as bubble wrap.

The good thing about these noodles is they come in a brick form (now i've got your attention) as opposed to regular peanuts which have to be bagged up etc.

FYI:

For bubble wrap I haven't found anything cheaper than Sams Club. (which comes out to $.06/LF for a 12" wide roll) in store price.

Guest TabbyBoy

They should be good with chicken and beansprouts!  In the UK I've seen rice-based packing pellets that look a bit like Wotsits and are tasteless (yes, I just had to try one!).  I just use bubblewrap as it's virtually foolproof and cheap if you order 500m+ at a time.

They should be good with chicken and beansprouts!  In the UK I've seen rice-based packing pellets that look a bit like Wotsits and are tasteless (yes, I just had to try one!).  I just use bubblewrap as it's virtually foolproof and cheap if you order 500m+ at a time.

These pellets are polysterene, no? Wouldn't eat them.

The rice-based ones are indeed very tempting to eat. Had a few myself. Weird feeling to eat packaging material lol

Wondering if anyone has used these before.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-7907-2BP-Packing-Noodles/dp/B000GLS29E

Conventional peanuts worked out well for me for packing items before the holidays.

I've just about used up my stash and am looking at these as well as bubble wrap.

The good thing about these noodles is they come in a brick form (now i've got your attention) as opposed to regular peanuts which have to be bagged up etc.

FYI:

For bubble wrap I haven't found anything cheaper than Sams Club. (which comes out to $.06/LF for a 12" wide roll) in store price.

How big are the bubbles on the Sams club bubble wrap? 3/16, 5/16", 1/2"?

I don't pay for packing material. I re-use the packing material from my online orders (as I am sure most of you do as well), and when that runs low I pack a bunch of plastic grocery bags in there to fill all of the voids. It's a great way to get rid of all of those shopping bags that the wife brings home almost daily. I've never had a return or complaint yet from how I pack/ship my items.

Edited by terrymc4677
  • Like 1

most of the biodegradable type peanuts are a lot heavier than the foam.  Bumps your package weights up which is never good.

Peanuts are not usually needed for LEGO orders to begin with but definitely server there purpose on 30-70lb items.  We use a combination of the 4 below.  The top 3 mainly for LEGO and the peanuts for heavier items.  The top 2 protect most the little to medium sets.  The larger sets like modulars we wrap with a quarter size bubble and then fill the voids with 1 of the 2 papers.  Multiple modulars / SSD / DS will sometimes have some peanuts around the edges if its 3 or 4 to absorb some impact.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-639/Newsprint-Paper/Newsprint-Sheets-20-x-30

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-2208/Kraft-Paper-Wrap/40-lb-Kraft-Paper-Roll-24-x-900?keywords=s-2208

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3930P/Bubble-Rolls/Economy-Bubble-Roll-12-x-250-1-2-Perforated?keywords=s-3930p

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-258/Peanuts/White-Anti-Static-Peanuts-20-cubic-foot-bag?keywords=s-258

very informative. I assume you use the paper for lateral protection?

Do you wrap your sets like presents with the paper(newsprint) in addition to using the paper as cushion or just crumple it to use as a cushion like online retailers do?

I used my peanuts to get rid of them mainly. The peanuts proved helpful when shipping out lego ornaments. (non rectangular items)

I ordered a pod racer off ebay for my son for xmas and the seller shipped it in a new uline box and peanuts for padding. well packaged.

very informative. I assume you use the paper for lateral protection?

Do you wrap your sets like presents with the paper(newsprint) in addition to using the paper as cushion or just crumple it to use as a cushion like online retailers do?

I used my peanuts to get rid of them mainly. The peanuts proved helpful when shipping out lego ornaments. (non rectangular items)

I ordered a pod racer off ebay for my son for xmas and the seller shipped it in a new uline box and peanuts for padding. well packaged.

small sets we do wrap with like presents with newsprint and then use the paper in both fashions you suggested as both cushion and some crumple / border around corners

larger sets are wrapped once in the bubble like the smaller sets just with bubble in its place and usually craft paper around corners.  

Depends a lot on how much room is around the box.  If very little the newsprint works fine as 40lb craft can sometimes push in if done to tightly.  

When we do crumple it is so there is no movement unlike the retailers do.  They are more just laying it in there.

We do still use some peanuts occasionally on small sets, just depends again on how much room is in the box and like you said odd shapes fill in better with them.  Main think is nothing moves whatsoever with our packing and at the same time you don't over do it as that can also cause indents in the box.

that pod racer sounds a lot like our packing.  Was it non LEGO SW Pod racer.  We had a bunch of those we got in last summer and that is how we do package those.  Basically we don't want to use anything that will make a mess for the customer.  If some things just require a few peanuts like that we will use them but not on LEGO orders as the peanuts can indent some of the thinner LEGO boxes. 

To echo what many have said, I too hate the packing peanut.  Honestly, I know I am not alone when I say there are few things in life worse than opening a box of whatever wonderful item you ordered only to have to sift through packing peanuts to get to it.  I literally grown.

I recently got something from amazon that had packing foam dots.  It was crazy.  I will try and upload a picture.  There were thousands of them, and the weren't sticky but they stuck to everything if that makes any sense.  

But like terrymc said, just reuse the air pillows amazon or lego or any other retailer sends you.  Toss the peanuts.  Your customers will thank you.

I tried those noodles a long time ago - I wasn't impressed.  I use whatever's on hand - peanuts, paper, plastic bags, Styrofoam packing, air pillows or even peanuts in plastic bags (works somewhat like an air pillow, but sturdier).

hate to use them for shipping... but I keep the ones i get from the very few retailers that use them for my kids school projects.

i reuse the plastic bubbles from online orders... I get more than I use...wait maybe thats cuz I buy more than I sell... :secret:

Edited by joch29