What you consume and what you lift (food and fitness stuff)

hxckid88

As requested and cause I've seen some random Posts about it: here is a new thread to discuss nutrition, exercise, active lifestyle interests and the like.

New year is approaching and as always many will say I'm gonna get in shape..... It'll last a month. So the timing of this thread I think and hope can provide some inspiration.

I have a passion for lifting weights, snowboarding, hiking, camping, and finding new ways to stay fit. I am more then happy to answer any questions regarding eating choices and weightlifting either on this thread or via pm.

I know how I feel and how my body reacts to certain foods and such and I've always found that interesting. I know sometimes it's hard to find time exercise or squeezing an extra snack in etc but it can be done. just about consistency and routine.

Lift hard. Eat smart. Have fun while doing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

Edited by hxckid88
  • Like 4

To not be modest, I actually dropped 32lbs from June to mid September this year and I'm still losing weight in bits and pieces. My hockey team had a weight loss challenge that I won and made $160 ( bought the team round after the game). 2 key factors for my weight loss is 1) I drastically reduced my carb intake. I will usually get my carbs from fruit not breads. 2) I eat to not be hungry instead of eating to be full. This is the lightest I've been in over ten years and I have to say it feels great.

• Like 6

I keep my diet very clean. Stopped eating meat ten years ago. Still eat fish but only wild caught salmon. No cheese, milk, or butter. I do eat yogurt. No soda. I run 3-4 times a week 4-8 miles a shot. I have two lakes nearby with beautiful trails to run at.

Doc says bloodwork and heartrate are perfect. It takes a lot of willpower. Burgers still smell good to me and running when its 40 degrees and raining is not fun. Not for everyone but it's what works for me.

Edited by marcandre
  • Like 4

I'm curious about running and its impact on knees, I deal with a lot of people at work and have noticed that the ones with surgical scars on their knees are always runners. I only notice because it's such a pain to get them and their limited range of motion in and out of kayaks.

As for me I worked as a kayak guide for 7 years and paddled 10-15 miles a day for 9-10 months a year. Then I got a captains license and stopped. It took about 5 months for my pants to stop fitting, apparently you don't burn as many calories driving a boat as you do in a kayak. Who knew? I've found that if I do about 3 yak/paddleboard tours a week I can maintain my weight. I am working on improving my diet, but anyone with kids know how much of a challenge that can be.

If you think that you're in decent shape and want a good test go get certified to be a lifeguard. Before they even let you take the class they make you swim 12 laps of an olympic size pool followed by two more carrying a 12 pound brick. Even if you have no plans of using the certification what you learn in the course still has value if you ever spend any time around the water, and as a bonus you also get a CPR certification.

• Like 1

I'm curious about running and its impact on knees, I deal with a lot of people at work and have noticed that the ones with surgical scars on their knees are always runners. I only notice because it's such a pain to get them and their limited range of motion in and out of kayaks.

No question running is hard on the joints. Swimming is far superior for joint health and as a workout in general. It's just so much more time consuming. I can walk out the front door and start running. 

• Like 1

I started working out again a few months ago simply because I work more in front of the computer now than out in the field.  When I was a golf course supt., I was busting my ass 12 hours a day so staying in good shape and keeping the pounds off was as easy as showing up for work.  Now at the University at essentially the same job, I am in front of a screen more and doing paperwork because, well, that's what state employees do.  I've been around 165-170 lbs. for years, but just had gotten softer, so since my office is at the rec center, I have no excuse to not get some lifting/exercise in. 

I still need to do more running, but loving the added strength and getting back to high school/college level in that area.  It just takes longer now to recover being in the late 30s.

• Like 1

mmmmm Bacon.

I was on pace to break 300lb deadlifts by now after starting at 90lbs in the spring only to tear something in my knee playing football two months ago.

After having back surgery last year, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to lift heavy free weights again.  Doing improper squats and the like in high school cause me to have years of back issues and finally had to have disk surgery. 

Wow. Love the responses. Few things....

Don't confuse losing weight and being healthy weight with well, being fit or healthy. The Atkins diet will make you lose weight but it will also freaking kill you. In fact the creator of such had a heart attack not sure if he died or not.

I love red meat. But I always eat lean cuts. I have a few friends who are vegetarian and a lot who are straight edge.

As for protein shakes. They are great. I use whey protein post workout and Casein protein before bed. Non workout days I start the day off with a protein shake mixed with fringed up oats or something of the like as I always have had issues with eating in the morning but know I need to. Drinking my breakfast is just easier.

I've always has the opposite issue as most seem here to have. I as a skinny scrawny 125 pounds as a teen. True ectomorph. Didn't wanna be skinny anymore. So I took up weightlifting.

I'm 6'1 192 lbs now.

Swimming is one of the best all around things you can do, in fact I do have my lifeguard licence and what the above stated about initial test is 100% accurate.

I don't do a lot of running as I don't enjoy it and long distance running works against me in my goals. For cardio I do hiit routines or I do sprints over and over.

Get a nutribullet or ninja or something. It's quite fun drinking ur food and also experimenting with stuff.

Edited by hxckid88

I've always has the opposite issue as most seem here to have. I as a skinny scrawny 125 pounds as a teen. True ectomorph. Didn't wanna be skinny anymore. So I took up weightlifting.

I was 165 pounds and 6'4" until I hit 32-33. Did not matter what I ate or what I did I simply would not gain weight. Now I try and stay right around 200.
  • Like 1

I have lost 31lbs in the last 12-14 months by simply doing three things....1) no more 4th meal 2) decreasing proportion sizes 3) hitting the weights. I am now lighter and looking way better than back in college! (and that was a long time ago)

My wife and I have been working hard at this and it has done nothing but incredible things for our relationship! Just gaining more self confidence will make a world of difference!

• Like 2

I am no longer an athlete or lifter, just trying my best to eat good and stay as healthy as possible. This is coming from an "average guy" perspective. I follow the below about 85% of the time.

Stay away from sugar, msg (excito-toxins), gmos, and processed things as much as possible. It's unrealistic to completely eliminate these items, and in small doses they are not harmful. But most people's intake of these items are multiples of 100% more than it should be every day and over time it's killing us and modifying our dna.

Breakfast: homemade bars with lots of goodies, nuts, seeds, etc.

Lunch: sandwich or leftovers from previous dinner, lots of fruit, trailmix, greek yogurt with frozen berries, raw veggies

Dinner: fresh protein, a starch, and a cooked veggie. Protein is usually chicken, turkey, or fish but occasionally pork or beef

The thing is, if you have a lot of spices you can make a simple chicken breast taste like a different restaurant quality meal every night. Just play with different combos. I used to spice while cooking but have turned to spicing while it rests except for spices that need some cook time. Meals take 30 minutes or less to make which is actually quicker than getting in a car, driving to fast food, driving home, and then eating.

I am not a total nut about it, still eat bread, cheese, and an occasional meal out. Also eat full fat everything, bought into the "low fat / no fat" scam for years until I started reading ingredients and wondering what exactly they put in its place. Turns out it was msg, lots of chemicals, and boatloads of sugar.

• Like 2

Try having a casein shake before bed. Use water. No carbs. Do it for a week. Watch how much better u will sleep and how getting out of bed in the morning will be so much easier. Eat well during the week and then have a cheat day. Seriously on Sunday eat whatever and as much of whatever you want. You will enjoy it so much more while keeping your sanity intact.

Also anyone here very try James Bond showers.... Or at least ice cold showers. Dp it at night watch how much better u sleep.

Edited by hxckid88

Glad you started this thread, kid.

I am a short, fat, Italian guy.  I didn't have six pack abs; I had a keg for abs.

About 3 years ago, I started weightlifting with a friend.  We did it at work, and it was convenient to go our on lunch hour.   I actually had trouble squatting the bar the first time I did it.  However, through hard work, I was able to get myself over 300 lbs.  The pounds started to come off, and I shed about 30 lbs, and was still about 10 lbs from my goal.  I went paleo to help me get my diet under control.

About 2 years ago, I decided to add running into the mix.  I worked myself up to 5Ks, and then eventually to half marathons.  I ended up running 5 half marathons before I decided to retire.  Training for a half marathon is a lot of work, and it takes a lot of time.  You have to be mentally ready to go for a training run that will last two hours some days.  It can be brutal.  When I was running, I hated it (while I was running).  When the run was over, it was fantastic.

About a year and a half ago, I started to loosen up my diet.  And I shifted from a mix of weightlifting and running to strictly running.  What a mistake.

Although it was great to go for a run, I totally blew it.  The pounds starts to come back, and I'm back to where I was 3 years ago.

I've had a lot stress at work lately, and it's really contributed to my lack of desire to get into shape again.  It's really contributed to my lack of working out.  Every couple of days I say, "this week's the week!" or "I'm not going to eat back after today."  And, after a day, I've blown it again.

I'm hoping that this thread is going to help motivate me to get my ass back into the gym, and get back out there running.  I want to get back to lifting over 300 lbs.  And I now that I've run half marathons, I'd be happy to just keep it to 5Ks, and work on getting my time further down.

You may have motivated me to head over to the gym at lunch today.  I've got all my stuff, I just need to do it.

• Like 3

Glad you started this thread, kid.

I am a short, fat, Italian guy. I didn't have six pack abs; I had a keg for abs.

About 3 years ago, I started weightlifting with a friend. We did it at work, and it was convenient to go our on lunch hour. I actually had trouble squatting the bar the first time I did it. However, through hard work, I was able to get myself over 300 lbs. The pounds started to come off, and I shed about 30 lbs, and was still about 10 lbs from my goal. I went paleo to help me get my diet under control.

About 2 years ago, I decided to add running into the mix. I worked myself up to 5Ks, and then eventually to half marathons. I ended up running 5 half marathons before I decided to retire. Training for a half marathon is a lot of work, and it takes a lot of time. You have to be mentally ready to go for a training run that will last two hours some days. It can be brutal. When I was running, I hated it (while I was running). When the run was over, it was fantastic.

About a year and a half ago, I started to loosen up my diet. And I shifted from a mix of weightlifting and running to strictly running. What a mistake.

Although it was great to go for a run, I totally blew it. The pounds starts to come back, and I'm back to where I was 3 years ago.

I've had a lot stress at work lately, and it's really contributed to my lack of desire to get into shape again. It's really contributed to my lack of working out. Every couple of days I say, "this week's the week!" or "I'm not going to eat back after today." And, after a day, I've blown it again.

I'm hoping that this thread is going to help motivate me to get my ass back into the gym, and get back out there running. I want to get back to lifting over 300 lbs. And I now that I've run half marathons, I'd be happy to just keep it to 5Ks, and work on getting my time further down.

You may have motivated me to head over to the gym at lunch today. I've got all my stuff, I just need to do it.

Awsome man. Just do it as Nike says. I am aware that unlike many here I don't have kids, have a lot of free time and such and I do understand how those things can make th ing more difficult. Sometimes in life you have to see sacrifices.

I retired from video games last year. I'll never understand running and just running. Especially as a dude it lowers testosterone. I do cardio but not a ton of it for many reasons as stated above.

As for things like p90x it's not the best. Think about this. Does any professional athletes do these infomercial workouts? Or do they just go to the gym? I'm not saying you need to train like an athlete and I feel most of you sent trying to be jacked...... You just want to be in some semblance of shape so you can build a Legos et or play catch with your kids without passing out. Haha.

Don't over train either. I lift 4 days a week. Get sleep. Nothing will be accomplished without sleep. You will seriously get sick and be run down.

I highly highly recommend the book the new rules of lifting by lou schuler and alwyn Cosgrove. If anyone is serious about this and tight on funds I'll buy you the book. It changed my life. Grest read and makes things practical for people. So many people want to lift or get on shape but just don't know what to do. They go to the gym and either get hurt have no system, or give up out of confusion.

All those muscle magazines and such are straight up crap.

Let me know how it goes for you. You've been there before you know how you felt just do it again.

• Like 2

SO when is the brick picker powerlifting meet?

Anyways I have been a gym rat and worked in the field for a long time. At this point I train a powerlifter/bodybuilder split, but have done it all in the past; Oly lifting Crossfit etc.

About to go to the gym after I finish packaging.

• Like 1

I started my life/health transformation over 7 years ago when I quit my 2 pack a day smoking habit cold freaking turkey.

Fast forward 2 years and 25 extra pounds...

Decided to do something - was sick all the time and at my heaviest at 215 lbs on a 6'1" frame, so I cut out soda, sweets, junk/fast food and got on the old P90X wagon. That was just the start...

Been through about 6 different informercial workouts from The p90x folks and I'm down to a lean 165# - maintaining under 10% BF in my late 30s. That's a first ever, and I lived in gyms from high school through my mid twenties.

My diet is completely plant-based now (over a year) and was a pescaritarian for about 2 years before that.

Quitting dairy changed my life - I have never been healthier.

Diet is 80% of the game.

Strength, flexibility, and range of motion should everyone's goal. How you get there is highly personal.

Just don't skip your yoga, people.

• Like 2