What you consume and what you lift (food and fitness stuff)

hxckid88

Running is about the bling. I hate it, but love collecting medals. Crossfire doesn't do that.

As for knees, I run 500-600 miles a year, I weigh over 300 lbs, my knees are fine. You are doing it wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

I think there is definitely a difference to treadmill running and natural running outdoors. Back when I ran a lot(college), I could run forever on the streets.  On a treadmill, my legs hurt like hell after just a few miles.

I'm a runner and running isn't inherently bad on the knees.  If you wear the wrong shoes or have leg imbalances or other issues, then you may develop knee-related pain.  If you run too much on hard surfaces (e.***., concrete), then that has a much greater impact on your knees and body than if you run on grassy/dirt trails.  Running isn't for everybody, though.  Some people can enjoy it and stay fit because of it, whereas others can't stand running.

I've been running for almost 20 years now and run 5-6 days per week, 35-45 miles per week when not training and >45 mpw when in training.  I've done 10 marathons and many shorter races and have never had knee issues.  I've had some other injuries, but nothing knee related.  I'm 6', 195 lbs currently.

To echo the earlier posts, diet and routine are key for exercise and staying in shape.  If you eat crap and junk food, you will feel like crap when working out.  I love beer, but too much dehydrates you and makes for a rough workout the next morning.  Eating healthy will make you feel better in addition to the exercise.

I started my life/health transformation over 7 years ago when I quit my 2 pack a day smoking habit cold freaking turkey.

I quit in August of 2006, a couple months before my oldest was born. I ran out at a Tom Petty concert in Raleigh and never bought any more. My employees used to bring in packs and beg me to smoke. Apparently I was moody. People say it gets easier, but even after 8 years when I see someone smoking I have a slight urge to French them just to suck the smoke from their lungs. Of all the mistakes that I have made in my life cigarettes are the only one I would change if I could.
  • Like 1

SO when is the brick picker powerlifting meet?

Anyways I have been a gym rat and worked in the field for a long time. At this point I train a powerlifter/bodybuilder split, but have done it all in the past; Oly lifting Crossfit etc.

About to go to the gym after I finish packaging.

I thought you were big? ;)

What do you do?

I'm not huge like jacked out of my mind. Lol. I'm in great athletic shape. Soccer player build. I'd challenge a bigger guy to a fight any day. :)

I get told I look like David Beckham.... From head to toe. I guess that's a compliment.

Google Adrian Neville that dude was a gymnast b4 a wrestler. 5'9 185 and freaking jacked.

And yes diet is 85% of the battle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

Nowadays I walk around at 5'6" 200, but feel pretty bleh at this weight. Just too much for my size.

What do you do?

I'm not huge like jacked out of my mind. Lol. I'm in great athletic shape. Soccer player build. I'd challenge a bigger guy to a fight any day. :)

I get told I look like David Beckham.... From head to toe. I guess that's a compliment.
Google Adrian Neville that dude was a gymnast b4 a wrestler. 5'9 185 and freaking jacked.

And yes diet is 85% of the battle.

I always pictured you at 6'4" 240 ish.

Anyways I am 5'6" 200 (not fat)nowadays, but I need to cut down on that because it is too much weight for my size. I worked in the supplement field and helped guys of powerlifting/bodybuilding/crossfit meets. I am still debating opening a small performance based gym but have not yet, unsure if I want to drop that much money into it.

I quit in August of 2006, a couple months before my oldest was born. I ran out at a Tom Petty concert in Raleigh and never bought any more. My employees used to bring in packs and beg me to smoke. Apparently I was moody. People say it gets easier, but even after 8 years when I see someone smoking I have a slight urge to French them just to suck the smoke from their lungs. Of all the mistakes that I have made in my life cigarettes are the only one I would change if I could.

You know, after this long I don't think about it at all. It totally disgusts me now.

Good job staying quit - it is the hardest thing most people will do in their lives.

Try having a casein shake before bed. Use water. No carbs. Do it for a week. Watch how much better u will sleep and how getting out of bed in the morning will be so much easier. Eat well during the week and then have a cheat day. Seriously on Sunday eat whatever and as much of whatever you want. You will enjoy it so much more while keeping your sanity intact.

Also anyone here very try James Bond showers.... Or at least ice cold showers. Dp it at night watch how much better u sleep.

There is nothing good about a James bond shower, stop messing with people.

I've just called it a cold shower....because that's what it is. :pardon: I guess there are some benefits to freezing your butt off depending on the person (like those in the Polar Bear Club who jump into arctic waters wearing only a swimsuit) but for me, a nice warm shower to clean all the sweat and filth away from my body is the most relaxing time of the day. Sometimes I wish I could shower for hours. I could maybe have a cold bath or jump into a cold pool but not take a cold shower. Anytime my head went under the shower faucet and the water was cold, I had that creepy feeling like some stranger took their hand to my head and was trying to drown me. Spooky.

My personal opinion of course and I'm no doctor but I think the whole cholesterol/statin thing is a racket.

From what I've read the statins lower cholesterol levels but have not proven to lower any risk of heart attack or death.

Drug industries pushing sh$t on doctors and consumers like so many other drugs in pharma-land.

My cholesterol was 380 after I dropped weight. It dropped a bit over the next year but still higher then the average.

Doc mentioned statins and I laughed.

When I die of a heart attack please put that on my gravestone.

My dad is a retired pharmacist and agrees that statins are not the answer. There is some evidence that shows the new class of statins (the name brand non-generics) cross the blood brain barrier. What's the problem? The brain makes its own cholesterol to keep synapses and neurons healthy. You stop that and memory and cognitive functions show issues.

Just what he told me.

On the other hand there may be a correlation between cholesterol and CV disease but there is no indisputable proof that high cholesterol causes cardiovascular disease. Inflammation is the more likely culprit.

Want lower cholesterol levels? Eat less sugar and animal products. My levels have never been better.

I'm so anti pills and doctors and all that crap. I could care less is something is fda approved.... Do people reslly believe what they say is legit? Pills are horrible for u. I'm even weird about taking advil.

All these big pharmacy companies do a risk reward estimate on possible risks. If they can make a billion dollars of of a pill regardless if it is safe or it it's coming to market one way or another. So what if they kill a few people.... They will pay out a few million to the families and still be profitable.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been the fat geeky nerdy guy - played neighborhood sports but never anything organized. I picked up disc golf at the age of 16 (in 1994) and got good enough at throwing that when I went to college I was able to hold my own at Ultimate Frisbee. I did the opposite of the freshman 15 and dropped from 245ish (I'm 6'0" immediately after a chiropractic adjustment, 5'11" anytime else) to 230ish. Spent my junior year in Germany (still played Ultimate, for the Universitaet Stuttgart) and dropped another 10.

My first year of working I dropped another 20 pounds and got under 200 lbs for the first time since junior high. And then we started having kids. I crept back up to 245, bounced around between 230 and 240 for while, tried different diets, etc. I am an engineering project manager (most of the time) so when work is busy, it is crazy hours. I can pretty much track my weight gains/losses to how stressful my project load is. But any way, at the end of 2010 my wife decided she was going to take up running. I am mildly (okay manically) competitive so I decided I was going to take up running as well, with a goal of running a marathon before I turn 40 in May 2017.

I am down to 205 and have gotten under 200 a couple of times during heavy training periods. I ran 2 half-marathons this year and will be running my first full marathon in April (2 years ahead of schedule!). I started out with the fancy springy shoes and had terrible plantar fasciitis and tendinitis in my Achilles tendons. After about a year of agony I switched to barefoot-style running, first a pair of Vibram FiveFingers but eventually switching to zero drop style shoes with a wide toe box. When I first switched I had some calf soreness but my foot/ankle pain went away.

This year I've been working on core strength and have been injury free. Running is so much fun, and barefoot style is really easy on the joints. And the bling is great, too. Now I'm starting to think about ultramarathons. I need to drop another 20 lbs or so but I am in pretty good shape - all my blood work is great, RHR in the 60's, BP is great, etc.

As for eating, I can eat anything and not really feel it. I mostly stay away from bad carbs (sugars and simple carbs) and try not to mix fuels - i.e. either I am eating carbs/protein or fat/protein, but not fat/carbs together. We eat lots of salads and vegetables, fresh fruits (especially berries), nuts, and whatever meats we feel like. As long as I stay away from sugar and simple carbs I am good. The occasional binges don't bother me. Also, I enjoy 2-3 beers per week (usually in church settings) as well as the occasional mixed drink. Our pastor's wife makes some delicious mixed drinks.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a great running season in 2015. And just for fun, I signed up with a couple of buddies for the Chicago Tough Mudder because, well, I'm competitive and stupid. And like getting muddy. I also still play Ultimate and disc golf when I can find time. But enough about me.

I've always been the fat geeky nerdy guy - played neighborhood sports but never anything organized. I picked up disc golf at the age of 16 (in 1994) and got good enough at throwing that when I went to college I was able to hold my own at Ultimate Frisbee. I did the opposite of the freshman 15 and dropped from 245ish (I'm 6'0" immediately after a chiropractic adjustment, 5'11" anytime else) to 230ish. Spent my junior year in Germany (still played Ultimate, for the Universitaet Stuttgart) and dropped another 10.

My first year of working I dropped another 20 pounds and got under 200 lbs for the first time since junior high. And then we started having kids. I crept back up to 245, bounced around between 230 and 240 for while, tried different diets, etc. I am an engineering project manager (most of the time) so when work is busy, it is crazy hours. I can pretty much track my weight gains/losses to how stressful my project load is. But any way, at the end of 2010 my wife decided she was going to take up running. I am mildly (okay manically) competitive so I decided I was going to take up running as well, with a goal of running a marathon before I turn 40 in May 2017.

I am down to 205 and have gotten under 200 a couple of times during heavy training periods. I ran 2 half-marathons this year and will be running my first full marathon in April (2 years ahead of schedule!). I started out with the fancy springy shoes and had terrible plantar fasciitis and tendinitis in my Achilles tendons. After about a year of agony I switched to barefoot-style running, first a pair of Vibram FiveFingers but eventually switching to zero drop style shoes with a wide toe box. When I first switched I had some calf soreness but my foot/ankle pain went away.

This year I've been working on core strength and have been injury free. Running is so much fun, and barefoot style is really easy on the joints. And the bling is great, too. Now I'm starting to think about ultramarathons. I need to drop another 20 lbs or so but I am in pretty good shape - all my blood work is great, RHR in the 60's, BP is great, etc.

As for eating, I can eat anything and not really feel it. I mostly stay away from bad carbs (sugars and simple carbs) and try not to mix fuels - i.e. either I am eating carbs/protein or fat/protein, but not fat/carbs together. We eat lots of salads and vegetables, fresh fruits (especially berries), nuts, and whatever meats we feel like. As long as I stay away from sugar and simple carbs I am good. The occasional binges don't bother me. Also, I enjoy 2-3 beers per week (usually in church settings) as well as the occasional mixed drink. Our pastor's wife makes some delicious mixed drinks.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a great running season in 2015. And just for fun, I signed up with a couple of buddies for the Chicago Tough Mudder because, well, I'm competitive and stupid. And like getting muddy. I also still play Ultimate and disc golf when I can find time. But enough about me.

Enjoyed reading that. The fuel thing intrigued me. I started to practice that but stopped fast. I reslly want to not mix carbs and fats in same meal.

I am down to 205 and have gotten under 200 a couple of times during heavy training periods. I ran 2 half-marathons this year and will be running my first full marathon in April (2 years ahead of schedule!). I started out with the fancy springy shoes and had terrible plantar fasciitis and tendinitis in my Achilles tendons. After about a year of agony I switched to barefoot-style running, first a pair of Vibram FiveFingers but eventually switching to zero drop style shoes with a wide toe box. When I first switched I had some calf soreness but my foot/ankle pain went away.

For a while, I was into New Balance Minimus shoes, but then my coach (who ran collegiately) lectured the team on how we would get shin splints and were more prone to injury than with more padded shoes. In the end, it comes down to the form in which you run. Ideally, you are running on your toes or your mid-foot, so that more of the initial impact is absorbed by your ankles and not transferred from you heals to your shins and bones. It does feel a bit weird in the beginning, but it does help with springiness and overall forward motion if you run with better form. Now I tend to use Asics since my form is still coming together, because their shoes are generally cushioned and durable, though some are a bit eye-sore. I ran my first 15k in early November after a season of cross country ended 3 weeks before, so I wasn't in awful shape, but I do wish I had trained a little longer instead of dropping off at the end of the season.

In terms of running races, I totally agree with all of the other guys. The blings and free gear is everything! I'm only glad I'm a runner when I cross that finish line and grab a medal... not when I'm running in shorts and a t-shirt in 30 degree weather. 'Cuz to be honest, running in itself sucks. ;)

Edited by comicblast