Is anyone experiencing a lackluster sales season?

Three years from now we might be wondering what QFLL's are thinking when they see 3x - 5x return on R2, AA, TH, & SSDs.

I personally will not regret selling anything. Only thing I have regretted selling was Pokemon Base, Jungle, Fossil, and Rocket booster boxes.  Bought thousands after they tanked for $16 per and wholesaled them at $150+ shipping per 6 box case.  They are all $300+ per box now

On the flip side of that 1999 SP Authentic Football which was once $250-300 per box is $40 a box now.  Had 200+ of those at one time as moved when they were getting under $200.

Had over 250 Dumbledore's office back in 2003 that I paid $20 for.  Sold in the 40-50 range back then. BP value is $130 now.  Had pretty much 100 minimum of all the HP sets from back the 2002 line.  There was lots of other sets bought on that deal as well that aren't really much higher for holding 12 years.

Point is no one knows where these values will go in 5-10 years.   I don't think all these sets will go 3x-5x.  Even if they do by that point there sales rates are much slower than they were when they were back at 2x and more relevant in people's minds.  People's attention spans towards sets are very short.  There will always be people who do want to pay the big $$$ for the older retired sets but the market is much smaller.  

As mentioned before I sell them in stages that way if they don't the ones left for long term are paid for anyways.  Just like having the right sets in your inventory , timing and making some early profits when they are hot also helps.

• Like 4

Please, anyone expecting the same old returns as last year are kidding themselves.  LEGO secondary market is a QFLL land now.  Just check the "what you sold today" thread and see the postings.  If these postings are supposed to be the highlights of the businesses, how many more sets were sold for $1 or less profits ?

Adapt or perish, there is nothing else to it.

I think it just shows whats hot in the marketplace.  You see a lot of the same sets selling as that is what is on customers minds.  You don't see as much older stuff as even though its value might have a higher percentage profit they just aren't selling at the levels a newer hot set is, especially at this time of the year.

And like the other posted said only certain things get posted.  

Its still a great tool though as there are some on there that you wouldn't expect.  

I personally will not regret selling anything. Only thing I have regretted selling was Pokemon Base, Jungle, Fossil, and Rocket booster boxes.  Bought thousands after they tanked for $16 per and wholesaled them at $150+ shipping per 6 box case.  They are all $300+ per box now

On the flip side of that 1999 SP Authentic Football which was once $250-300 per box is $40 a box now.  Had 200+ of those at one time as moved when they were getting under $200.

Had over 250 Dumbledore's office back in 2003 that I paid $20 for.  Sold in the 40-50 range back then. BP value is $130 now.  Had pretty much 100 minimum of all the HP sets from back the 2002 line.  There was lots of other sets bought on that deal as well that aren't really much higher for holding 12 years.

Point is no one knows where these values will go in 5-10 years.   I don't think all these sets will go 3x-5x.  Even if they do by that point there sales rates are much slower than they were when they were back at 2x and more relevant in people's minds.  People's attention spans towards sets are very short.  There will always be people who do want to pay the big $$$ for the older retired sets but the market is much smaller.  

As mentioned before I sell them in stages that way if they don't the ones left for long term are paid for anyways.  Just like having the right sets in your inventory , timing and making some early profits when they are hot also helps.

I've been working in public education (English teacher for 13 years; counselor for 3) as long as you've been selling full time. I listen to people who have experience.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I've been working in public education (English teacher for 13 years; counselor for 3) as long as you've been selling full time. I listen to people who have experience.

Thank you.

My sister has been in public education for her life, kind of same thing, teaching for a while and now some regional type position.

Hard work and a lot of dedication and time given.  

• Like 1

What do people do with those now ? It's been what, at least 10 years since those were hot ?  I saw the new ones and they are much spiffier looking than the old ones..

What do people do with those now ? It's been what, at least 10 years since those were hot ?  I saw the new ones and they are much spiffier looking than the old ones..

they took another resurgence in popularity again.  I know some of my daughters friends got into the game part of it again a decade later lol.

The new ones are a lot nicer especially the reverse holographics.   After that initial craze when they came down we paid $16 per across the board on the first 4.  They only sold for $25-30 individually but you could wholesale cases very fast.  A lot of dollar stores bought them as you got 36 packs per box.  Vending machine operators also bought them in bulk quantity.  

I stopped paying attention and then about 2 years ago I looked at them and they were $150-200 a box.  Now $300+.

I would of never guessed that one as there literally tons of them produced.  I think most were cracked through the years though and the actual availability of sealed boxes is very scarce now.  Also the only way to really get "MINT" cards is through the sealed boxes as this was a product that was primarily played with and the holos scratched very easily back in the day.

Funny how the HP ones didn't do anything a decade later.  They are less than retail.  Was never as popular but still had a big enough following I would of thought they did a little better.

I was waiting for you to give us your thoughts in three years.  Now will do also.

I was waiting for you to give us your thoughts in three years.  Now will do also.

that wasn't aimed at anyone, just adding to the conversation.

I'm sure the conversations will adapt just like this business does in 3 years just like the previous 3 years on here (which I was not part of)

Sells for me have been pretty good for me. I sold all the TMNT sets I had. I bought all of them on clearance and made some nice $$$. Some of the sets I sold only made 25% or so. On average I'm bringing home over 35% on everything I sold.

It has been labor intensive at times.....watched football while selling sets was what I did a few Sundays ago. :cheese:

I've sold over half of my inventory this holiday season. One thing that sold really well for me was the polybags. Parents wanted these for the stockings on Christmas day.

Thank you all for the tips and great information on this site.

• Like 1

I have not tried to sell a lot and all my sets are retired, but the year has been good for me. I have made about 80% on everything after fees and shipping. I am selling on Ebay, but hope to sell soon on Bricks Classifieds. I can't say if it has been slow or fast year since this is my first time selling at Christmas. My City, Ninjago, and Chima have not sold but I only have a few listings of these. Wolverine's Chopper has been the best for me. I have sold 8 city/friends/GS polybags to help my ratings on Ebay and I made a huge 10 dollars on them all. I'm trying to sell more, but I can't mark them down anymore or I will lose money on them.

Not everyone posting in sell thread wants their ego scratched, and not all foolish for revealing secrets. I sold 150 tree polybags before people got all excited it was at TRU. My entry was around $4-$6 (responding to the $1 profit), most sold $12-$15

When I posted I sold a battle of five armies for $199, I wanted someone to point out some scam I was missing (no one said snything, I shipped today)

Anyone else ever sell a jacked up price placeholder auction?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

Edited by justapilgrim

Does anyone here pay taxes on their Lego income?  I see a lot of talk about great returns, but they always seem to leave out or ignore the taxes that will be owed on those earnings.

Yep!  I just sent off my estimate quarterly payment a few days ago.  That one hurt!