Is anyone experiencing a lackluster sales season?

I'm new, first Christmas selling, I got creative and lucky

MC, SW were all there for the taking . The early RR flippers cleaned house and when lego didn't go on sale? Just sold 6th batbot in last 24 hiurs at about $50 profit each

Series 2 mixels are hitting $75+ sold/shipped, that was available to almost anyone here

Sales are good, just jave my o be willing to adjust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

I'm new, first Christmas selling, I got creative and lucky

MC, SW were all there for the taking . The early RR flippers cleaned house and when lego didn't go on sale? Just sold 6th batbot in last 24 hiurs at about $50 profit each

Series 2 mixels are hitting $75+ sold/shipped, that was available to almost anyone here

Sales are good, just jave my o be willing to adjust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

Where are series 2 mixels hitting $75+?

My sales have been decent, but I'm not a flipper.  I think the flipping game is dangerous and only for the very lucky.  With the amount of people in the Lego resale business now, the lack of decent sales, and Lego inventory coming back into stock randomly, flipping is going to be a losing game for most here on out.  People who pick good sets and hold, will see returns on their investments, even if it those returns slow down.  Someone stated getting into Lego investing does not requirement much go get started.  I would agree you don't need to be a genius, but you need three things- time (your personal time and the distance in time following EOL), capital (investment money), and space (to store the sets).  There three things create a barrier for a lot of people.  What I see on here is a lot of people buying sets on credit cards deals that say - 0% down for 6 months or year. So the investor must sell before then.  What they lack is capital and time.  This I feel is a major factor in devaluing sets- people are forced to sell.  Or you have the guys who wives get sick of every closet full of legos and other situations where people are forced to sell.  Also people do not realize you need almost 20% over your cost to make any money with fees and postage, eventually they are going to figure out making 50% gross on a $20 set means your making like $5.  I feel good about my Helm's deep sets, I have no doubt all the guys who lack capital or space or time will dump theirs, and the value will start increasing more in a year.  

What I really fear is that some of these guys with 100 sets of everything will dump their product a couple years after EOL all at once on the market because of death, illness, bankruptcy, theft, etc.  

Someone stated getting into Lego investing does not requirement much go get started. I would agree you don't need to be a genius, but you need three things- time (your personal time and the distance in time following EOL), capital (investment money), and space (to store the sets). There three things create a barrier for a lot of people.

I agree and did follow up my statement with something similar:

"....just money, space and a decent work ethic if you want to have some success."

Again, my point is more that any Joe Shmoe can buy these products from the comfort of their home and join as competition. It's not a specialized growth industry like shale or something that takes training, specialized equipment plus lots of capital, time and work.

Now that's not to say that those of us who study the hobby, PLUS have capital, time, space and are self motivated won't be more successful than the average Joe Investor, but just that unsuccessful (and successful) new competition will keep profits lower than they were in the past and to take solace in the fact that for every sale you make with lower profits, you are probably preventing future competition from deciding to join the ranks. Isn't that a nice consolation prize? Eh, maybe not.

Edited by LegoManiacc
  • Like 2

This is my first Christmas selling LEGO and I am on target with what I thought I would sell. Mostly Mid range sets I got on clearance throughout the year for a decent 50-80% profit. Nothing major but that's what I figured would happen. Glad to clear out some space. Wish LOTR was worth selling now, hopefully next year. I like many others probably are swimming in Black Gate, Weathertop and UGs. I am a fan of LOTR but I don't see this series having the same Harry Potter boom. Hopefully in a few years die hard LOTR people will start buying it up. I probably will sell out of LOTR next year regardless and make room for better BIGGER fish.

I am killing it on non-LEGO stuff though thanks to a lot of tips from members here and a few ideas of my own. I appreciate all the help fellas :)

Knock on wood my Amazon sales during Christmas have resulted in very few returns in the past. I'd venture to guess it is because often they are sent as gifts directly to the recipient. (No buyers remorse or realizing they paid to much)

My return rate during the holidays is definitely lower than the rest of the year, and FBA sales are returned even less than seller fulfilled.  

Edit:

To back this up: I sold 710 toys on Amazon from Dec 1 to Dec 31st last year. From Dec 28th to Feb 8th I had 8 toys returned. 

1-2% is typical for me for toys, idk about you.  Electronics is way worse.

It can sure feel like a lot more though.

Emazers is lurking: what say you to this topic?

I am certain that the army of Mini-mazers can't be helping his sales (how could it?), but I doubt that you would hear it.

He has patience (from the old school) and will simply wait it out. He might not be getting his profits as soon as he used to, but they will still come (it will just take a while longer).

Oddly enough after starting this topic yesterday I sold 5 items.

1 The Mine 4204

1 Series 1 Mixel

1 My First Princess Junior Lego

1 Orc Forge

1 Santa's Workshop

The only international shipping I offer is via the eBay global program. Is there another way to ship internationally and not lose on shipping fees?

Oddly enough after starting this topic yesterday I sold 5 items.

1 The Mine 4204

1 Series 1 Mixel

1 My First Princess Junior Lego

1 Orc Forge

1 Santa's Workshop

The only international shipping I offer is via the eBay global program. Is there another way to ship internationally and not lose on shipping fees?

Charge actual shipping cost.  There you go...

• Like 1