Is anyone experiencing a lackluster sales season?

I guess I'm unclear on how to charge actual shipping cost before the auction/BIN ends and then invoice accordingly.

When you make your listing specify weight of package and size of box, eBay will figure out the rest.

You can also state:  International customers pay actual shipping charges.  Please wait for invoice if you are an international customer.

Here's one we haven't mentioned as a holiday bust.  Classic Spaceman Promo.  The only promo I hold for the holidays instead of getting my $20 discount when they came out and they tank.  That one backfired.  Did not see that one doing so poorly.  We were all having the great stocking stuffer talk and how nice the packaging was and then nothing.  

• Like 1

Here's one we haven't mentioned as a holiday bust.  Classic Spaceman Promo.  The only promo I hold for the holidays instead of getting my $20 discount when they came out and they tank.  That one backfired.  Did not see that one doing so poorly.  We were all having the great stocking stuffer talk and how nice the packaging was and then nothing.  

Definitely agreed!

I kept mine as well for a rainy day. Mistake!

What were you expecting out of them?  I sold the few that I had for around $15, which was about what I expected.  It's a fantastic set, but, at the end of the day, it's a nostalgia piece that primarily appeals to a narrow slice of AFOLs who grew up on classic space, which IMHO is not a recipe for a runaway success.

What were you expecting out of them?  I sold the few that I had for around $15, which was about what I expected.  It's a fantastic set, but, at the end of the day, it's a nostalgia piece that primarily appeals to a narrow slice of AFOLs who grew up on classic space, which IMHO is not a recipe for a runaway success.

not much more than the initial 20, it was well believed at xmas it would make a good gift and could possibly do what VW poly did (30ish)

just funny how at 10-12 they sit with no interest.

Like I said i usually flip my promo for $20ish and move on as its 10-15% off an exclusive for the most part.  Just thought this one would have a little more interest at holidays due to packaging.  Not a big deal or anything but thought it was worth mentioning in our holiday busts.

I am nearly sold out of my investments this year, and while I can't brag and boast about rificulous through the roof profits, I'd say my profits were decent. Havent tallied them up yet, but not bad for a working mom. Probably would have made a lot more if I could devote more time to it, but between work and the rest of my life, time is a premium right now.

• Like 4

not much more than the initial 20, it was well believed at xmas it would make a good gift and could possibly do what VW poly did (30ish)

Like I said i usually flip my promo for $20ish and move on as its 10-15% off an exclusive for the most part.  Just thought this one would have a little more interest at holidays due to packaging.  Not a big deal or anything but thought it was worth mentioning in our holiday busts.

You sure this wasn't yours? Spaceman was shooting for the stars on that one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Classic-Spaceman-promo-and-5x-Jor-El-Polybag-Promos-/331410075761?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item4d29947071&nma=true&si=%252BuLbguS5d1W6cAxtfqKKcWyyW6g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Actually, I just read the description and see what happened there now.

Edited by LegoManiacc

This is due to the latest category class of LEGO Sellers.

First we had the Investors, then we had the Flippers, and now we have the Dumpers.

This is due to the latest category class of LEGO Sellers.

First we had the Investors, then we had the Flippers, and now we have the Dumpers.

The dumpers are the ones that are causing me the most grief right now.  For example, the quinjet is crashing down on amazon right now.  Makes me wonder if people are panicking about the new 2015 set.

The dumpers are the ones that are causing me the most grief right now.  For example, the quinjet is crashing down on amazon right now.  Makes me wonder if people are panicking about the new 2015 set.

The Dumpers are happy to sell at any price - Many seem fine to even sell at a loss, justifying it by saying they are happy to be getting rid of their losers. 

• Like 1

Well... hopefully it will be just temporary. When the "dumpers" see that they earn so little with so much work cause they dump their sets I see many of them leaving the game. I still have all my quinjets on my shelf. Waiting another 2 years before I "dump" them.

The Dumpers are happy to sell at any price - Many seem fine to even sell at a loss, justifying it by saying they are happy to be getting rid of their losers. 

Count me as a dumper then.  When it becomes obvious to me that a set that I've bought isn't going to perform as I had hoped (e.***., Quinjet, Speedorz), I dump it immediately.  Perhaps it will perform better over the "long haul," but, to me, that's a sucker's bet because I stand a much better chance of buying something else now that stands a much better chance of performing better sooner.  When the consumer demand for a set simply isn't there, the "long haul" isn't likely to increase consumer perception of or demand for that set.

So by the logic (since there is no wrong time to sell the right set) - Selling the Santa's Workshop for $85 is just as good as selling it for over $150???

Your question assumes that Santa's Workshop falls in the "right set" category.  Santa's Workshop has only just come out and has not retired yet.  It's killing it this holiday season, but -- for me -- falls in a different category than the sets on which I focus.  A better example would be the Friends Vet Clinic last year once it sold out at primary retail outlets.  Once that happened, it was clear that it was a winner.  From that point forward, there was no "wrong time" to sell the set from an objective perspective because it appreciated so quickly that profit was pretty much guaranteed regardless of your buy-in price.  Now, one person could say that someone sold at the "wrong time" if they sold for $80 and didn't hold out for $120, but that's a subjective judgment that ultimately depends entirely on the seller's goal/strategy.