New member from the UK

Hi all.

First off, let me apologise for this long post!

A few months ago, a work colleague mentioned that there was a Lego version of the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 available. After looking at it online, I decided that I just had to have one, being a fan of the movie(s), and having fond memories of playing with Lego as a child. Soon after, I was looking around a local shopping centre and came across an independent toy shop that had large range of Lego sets, including the Ecto-1. Bought it, built it, and got the bug all over again!

It then turns out that the work colleague is actually a part-time Lego investor/reseller, who makes a decent amount in his spare time. I though about it, and decided that it was worth giving it a go, as it's got to be possible to make more than the meagre 1-2% interest that I get from savings in the bank. Set a budget, decided to concentrate mainly on Star Wars sets due to the upcoming movies, and took advantage of sales, 3 for 2 offers, and recently retired sets. The list below is what I currently have, all BNIB (except the Ecto-1). Looking at it now, some were good buys, some weren't, but now that I have found this forum, I hope to make better choices from now on.

21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

21109 - Exo-Suit x2

42030 - Volvo L350F Wheel Loader

76023 - The Tumbler

79011 - Dol Guldur Ambush

7965 - Millennium Falcon x2

8087 - TIE Defender

9492 - TIE Fighter

9493 - X-Wing Starfighter

9495 - Gold-Leader's Y-Wing Starfighter

9500 - Sith Fury-class Interceptor

9515 - Malevolence

9516 - Jabba's Palace

10188 - Death Star

10225 - R2-D2

10240 - Red Five X-Wing Starfighter

75041 - Vulture Droid

75054 - AT-AT

75055 - Imperial Star Destroyer

75059 - Sandcrawler

And currently on their way to me:

10221 - Super Star Destroyer

10211 - Grand Emporium

10224 - Town Hall

In total, I have saved 20% over the RRP price of the sets as a whole. Any suggestions of which ones aren't worth hanging on to and just sell to free up funds for more worthwhile investments?

And congratulations if you read all of this...

:)

Steve

I don't think there is a straightforward answer to your question. You decide for yourself what is worth to hang on to or not by looking into them, reading specs, comparing, reading reviews, looking at second hand sites etc. US market for example differs also strong from European market so you have your work cut out. What I would sugest, is not to buy new sets like

75054 - AT-AT
75059 - Sandcrawler

for investment purposes so early in the game. Lego sets usually hang around for quite a while and there can be some good promo's on them. 54 and 55 I'm sure you can get even cheaper then you bought them later on.

75041 - Vulture Droid

Is a waste of money. Don't buy small sets like that for investment. They don't gain much.

I don't think there is a straightforward answer to your question. You decide for yourself what is worth to hang on to or not by looking into them, reading specs, comparing, reading reviews, looking at second hand sites etc. US market for example differs also strong from European market so you have your work cut out. What I would sugest, is not to buy new sets like

75054 - AT-AT

75059 - Sandcrawler

for investment purposes so early in the game. Lego sets usually hang around for quite a while and there can be some good promo's on them. 54 and 55 I'm sure you can get even cheaper then you bought them later on.

75041 - Vulture Droid

Is a waste of money. Don't buy small sets like that for investment. They don't gain much.

Thanks for the reply Neosphinx (and the welcomes from others!).

I agree with you about those particular sets mentioned, all part of the learning provess I guess, but at least they were good deals at the time:

75054 - AT-AT - 45% off

75055 - Imperial Star Destroyer - 45% off

75059 - Sandcrawler - 20% off

75041 - Vulture Droid - 50% off

I will most likely try to sell the newer sets sooner rather than later, and hope to at least make a bit of profit on them. The Vulture Droid was a cheap impulse buy, and will probably end up being given away as a present anyway. I will definately be sticking to just larger sets from now on.

Thanks for the reply Neosphinx (and the welcomes from others!).

I agree with you about those particular sets mentioned, all part of the learning provess I guess, but at least they were good deals at the time:

75054 - AT-AT - 45% off

75055 - Imperial Star Destroyer - 45% off

75059 - Sandcrawler - 20% off

75041 - Vulture Droid - 50% off

I will most likely try to sell the newer sets sooner rather than later, and hope to at least make a bit of profit on them. The Vulture Droid was a cheap impulse buy, and will probably end up being given away as a present anyway. I will definately be sticking to just larger sets from now on.

I know the feeling. Had stocked up on some SW sets too in the beginning at good prices but they take up space that can be used for better investments. See what set still available on primary market performs well on your local second hand sites, Read a review or two about them. If question, you post them on the board and we can give our opinion :) And keep on building. Get reaquinted with Lego as it changed alot. You built Ecto-1 I read. Fantastic build imo and great fun. If you have some cash to spare I'd recommend buying a modular building series set for you to build (new or second hand but complete). You'll have fun, I assure you.