Lego & Shell

KShine

Can I chip in by saying on 7/7 all of the u.k's secret service etc were busy at the G8 meetings held in Scotland because of trouble caused by greenpeace activists. I'm thinking of boycotting buying Lego as they keep giving in to everybody and anybody... That and since they stopped doing Lego in the sun newspaper, because of feminists complaining about page 3 girls, I now have to pay double during the week and triple on a Sunday for my free Lego polybag. Does anyone think greenpeace have a point about anything?

There are two types of feminists, environmentalists, diversity and freedom right protectors etc.

The ones who are dealing with real issues and take actual efforts.

And the ones who are only looking desperately for anything they can nitpick to feel important. 

Edited by inversion

Surely the governments control what can and can not be performed by Shell and other companies, what has Lego go to do go to do with it.

Don't think rationally. Be stupid for a minute. Think about LEGO doing promotions with drug cartels. What would you think about it? Would you be offended? Now for idiots there is no difference between drug cartels and oil companies. They regard both as criminals. And it is bad PR for LEGO, no matter what is the truth. What people think actually matters, not what really exists.

Edited by inversion

At least Greenpeace is just doing what they do, so you can't blame them (and hey, it worked). I think that they are mostly just loons looking to find some meaning/purpose in their lives. But they have their agenda, and they are sticking to it.

But for LEGO to once again fold, give in, and show that they have no backbone whatsoever is just shameful.

But for LEGO to once again fold, give in, and show that they have no backbone whatsoever is just shameful.

LEGO did what he deemed as most profitable, sticking to his agenda, which is making profits, not manufacturing toy gas stations. Don't think this call was made easily. They know that Greenpeace is ruthless so they had to throw them the bone.

Maybe it just me but I have more appreciation for Shell Lego than I do with Ice, polar bears etc, if polar bear become extinct so what, did you know in this country dontaes more money to animal welfares than to any other type of charity. I understand food chains, etc etc etc, but this earth has sustained itself for millions of years and dealt with anything its had thrown at it. Africa, it's all dried up, you can't live there anymore, why are we sending them trillions each year when we all know it's never going to solve the problem long term, especially if there is global warming. People make themselves a tidy sum being involved in these charity chains. It's like people who work for charities because they don't actually need to work because they have a rich spouse or parents and sit around on their fat asses all day doing nothing constructive, those people make me sick.

Where do you think plastic comes from? If LEGO turns their a$$ towards petroleum industry we shall start seeing wooden blocks

Well that's my point because I know where plastic comes from. Greenpeace trying to appeal to everyone's love of LEGO, which is petroleum based, to protest Shell, which is petroleum based, for the use of petroleum. See the hypocrisy there? Maybe I wasn't clear on who I was talking about backing who in my earlier post.

• 3 weeks later...

Well that's my point because I know where plastic comes from. Greenpeace trying to appeal to everyone's love of LEGO, which is petroleum based, to protest Shell, which is petroleum based, for the use of petroleum. See the hypocrisy there? Maybe I wasn't clear on who I was talking about backing who in my earlier post.

Greenpeace aren't protesting against Shell simply because they make petroleum. Their beef with Lego stems from the fact that they don't believe oil companies should be using children's toys to promote themselves and lobby young people who will one day inherit what's left of the environment. It's a perfectly reasonable stance to take in my opinion, and I'm glad Lego has done the right thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though the relationship with Shell goes back a very long time, I would have to think it's very small in terms of size and money with Lego.  For such a minor contract, Lego probably doesn't feel that it's worth possible bad P.R. and having the Greenpeace wackos drag their name through the mud.

It's probably not a small contract, here they sell lego at every shell station with every fuel refill. For 4 or 5 months this year.

It's probably not a small contract, here they sell lego at every shell station with every fuel refill. For 4 or 5 months this year.

I'm comparing it to say, what Lego paid for the license for Superheroes or Harry Potter.  Lego probably didn't even pay Shell for the license, it's probably the other way around.  On the other hand, who knows what ungodly amount of money HP or SH make off Lego by allowing them (lego) to make products with their likeness.