Lego & Shell

KShine

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/comment-from-jorgen-vig-knudstorp-on-greenpeace-campaign/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+brickfanatics+%28Brick+Fanatics%29

"The Greenpeace campaign uses the LEGO brand to target Shell. As we have stated before, we firmly believe Greenpeace ought to have a direct conversation with Shell.The LEGO brand, and everyone who enjoys creative play, should never have become part of Greenpeace

Edited by KShine

Looks like they're going after Octan now.  Jerks.

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/activists-turn-their-attentions-to-octan-energy/

Ha! It makes more sense for Lego to use an in-house brand on all of its gas-related pieces anyway. I agree that Lego & Shell make for bizarre bedfellows, and now that TLG has established Octan as a major force in the Lego universe, it makes sense to kick Shell to the curb.

Jabba's Palace I'm assuming.  Though I wouldn't say they buckled, just told people what they wanted to hear all the while letting the set carry on with its normal life span.

They could do the same thing with this.  Just renew the contract after all this dies down.  Greenpeace will have moved on to something else by then.

• Like 1

They could do the same thing with this.  Just renew the contract after all this dies down.  Greenpeace will have moved on to something else by then.

Even though the relationship with Shell goes back a very long time, I would have to think it's very small in terms of size and money with Lego.  For such a minor contract, Lego probably doesn't feel that it's worth possible bad P.R. and having the Greenpeace wackos drag their name through the mud.

So...I can't be the only one who sees the hypocrisy in backing one petroleum based company, to protest another petroleum based company for the simple reason that they use petroleum. Then to realize that Greenpeace wouldn't truly exist without the use of said petroleum.

• Like 3

So...I can't be the only one who sees the hypocrisy in backing one petroleum based company, to protest another petroleum based company for the simple reason that they use petroleum. Then to realize that Greenpeace wouldn't truly exist without the use of said petroleum.

Where do you think plastic comes from? If LEGO turns their a$$ towards petroleum industry we shall start seeing wooden blocks

Edited by jerryherb

I don't like Greenpeace because they are only fighting for media attention through exaggerated b*****it and not doing much truly beneficial effort. If they knew how oil companies work and what regulations they face or their efforts to minimize environmental damage they would shut up. In a normal world. Sadly they are perfectly aware of this, but still ride the bias of people to get attention.

Not the oil industry is the only one which has collateral damage. We could talk about anything manufacturing/agriculture based. On this basis LEGO shouldn't make car toys because they use gasoline. The batteries of electric cars are expensive to produce and the inputs involve some really nasty chemicals. They need electricity. Do they know that if we used only wind, water and solar based power plants, the environmental damage would be much higher than just sticking to nuclear power, and still not talking about the reliability concerns? Should we stop cattle breeding? Don't mine metals. Don't build homes. Don't have children because population is a concern.

These industries are just as necessary as any other. They create jobs, invest and research technologies. Every sector has something negative. Oil is just more visible, because the catastrophes can be easily noticed. If damage is spread out more evenly in time and location nobody talks about it. 

OR just don't buy any LEGOs because ABS is made partly from petroleum. If you can judge oil companies on a moral basis then don't leave out the ones who use their output as an input. 

Why LEGO made this call then? Because lots of people are stupid. They are talking about oil companies being inherently a child of satan while driving their cars to the LEGO store to buy petrochemicals, during which munching bread made from bio-wheat, grown with the help of agriculture vehicles and shipped to their store with a truck. 

Protecting the environment is not about stopping global economics. It is about not cutting forests unnecessarily, recycling, being energy efficient etc. Sometimes people forget this.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1

Can I chip in by saying on 7/7 all of the u.k's secret service etc were busy at the G8 meetings held in Scotland because of trouble caused by greenpeace activists. I'm thinking of boycotting buying Lego as they keep giving in to everybody and anybody... That and since they stopped doing Lego in the sun newspaper, because of feminists complaining about page 3 girls, I now have to pay double during the week and triple on a Sunday for my free Lego polybag. Does anyone think greenpeace have a point about anything?