Greetings From Down Under

Hello from Melbourne Australia!!

I have just started collecting some lego after learning about what a big market it is for investment purposes. I like investing in things a bit out of the ordinary.

I have just purchased the following brand new sets.

10240 (X-Wing) $223.20

10225 (R2D2) $199

10188 (Death Star) $598

71006 (Simpsons Lego House) $298

The next 2 sets I'm looking to buy are 10221 (Super Star Destroyer) & 75059 (Sand Crawler) unsure on prices at the moment as they're proving difficult to find.

All of the above sets are quite large and I figure if they don't go up in price I'll happily build them and keep them.

One thing I notice is that Lego seems to be quite expensive here in Australia when compared to the United States :(

If anyone has any comments on my purchases or tips for a new Australian investor please feel free to respond.

Thanks Guys

• Like 1

Welcome to the site... a fellow Aussie here. Yes Lego is a lot more expensive for us than the US, even moreso now that Amazon US no longer ships Lego to Australia. But keep your eyes peeled here in Australia and you'll be able to find yourself some good deals... seems like you already have. :-)

Hello and welcome. You noticed correctly that there can be a huge difference between different markets.

Your purchases may need some time to start going up in price. Red5 and Simpsons house. When Death Star will retire, noone knows.

Try to buy Lego you feel confident with and that you like (as you did with the ones you purchased)

My tip would be to buy some super heroes (can be pretty cheap with good discount) or a haunted house or any of the modular buildings (apart from Parisian Resto, Pet Shop and Palace cinema).

Thanks for the responses guys. Glad to hear that I might be on the right track with my purchases and sounds like the prices were reasonable. Also thanks for some tips on the Super Heroes sets too. I've been busily reading some of the threads on here and there's a fair bit of good info on here. Appreciate all of the help and I'll keep my eyes open when I'm out and about for a bargain.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ya, I'm new to brick pricker app as well.

Star Wars sets are pretty much the same price here in NZ compared to Oz.

I mainly purchase online via Amazon to find retired sets, but be prepared to pay a premium price for retired UCS sets. As a rough guideline up to three times the original retail price.

Keep in mind the import tax as well as shipping costs.

It all depends on how hard core a collector you are to endure such high costs.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome ozzydragon! Your set list looks great but don't forget where you live, you may be over looking a set that isn't on most BPers minds ( just my opinion). The Sydney Opera House! Let's be honest, it's not the most spectacular set and the PPP isn't that great either BUT this set is one of Australia's most well known land marks and my guess would be that it will perform best in the secondary market in your home country and hopefully you could capitalize on this. Other themes are great suggestions because they span many age groups but as a collector, I would have to have something that represents my home country!

Have fun and good luck.