Gotta listen to Ed Mack - he is right again (new SW movie impacts)

Another plus for this set is that it is most unlikely that we will ever see a Malevolence II

True.  It was a risky set when it was available, no doubt.  I bought a few, but not enough...always passing it by for a flashier set.  But if people really took a look at it more closely, they would have seen that it had over 1000 pieces and 7 minifigs for $119.99...which was discounted often.  It was a unique looking set, maybe even ugly, but it will probably continue to do well because of that uniqueness.

• Like 1

I get that Star Wars Lego sets book values are buoyed by their open-the-box-and-enjoy-it appeal.  

But predictably large production runs & a well-known tendency of re-issuance of popular lines seem like unnecessary risks to endure in Lego investments given what seems like safer high-mark return ratios in other genres.

Wouldn't JJ Abram's version have its own sets to add to this line & further dilute the already large supply of assets for sale in the genre?

This site is full of thoughtful, data-driven investors so I know I am missing something.  Please explain.

I get that Star Wars Lego sets book values are buoyed by their open-the-box-and-enjoy-it appeal.  

But predictably large production runs & a well-known tendency of re-issuance of popular lines seem like unnecessary risks to endure in Lego investments given what seems like safer high-mark return ratios in other genres.

Wouldn't JJ Abram's version have its own sets to add to this line & further dilute the already large supply of assets for sale in the genre?

This site is full of thoughtful, data-driven investors so I know I am missing something.  Please explain.

I guess you are missing the X factor...STAR WARS fanatics.  Older STAR WARS sets have been increasing in value once again after a few slow years.  I can't explain why some people insist on dressing up as STAR WARS characters and running around the house yelling, "May the Force be with you!"  but they do.  It's this fanaticism that will give new life to the stagnant STAR WARS theme.  Because the new movie will have many of the older original characters in it, there will be a carryover effect from the original trilogy and many of the old and original STAR WARS LEGO sets might be sought after once again.  Never underestimate the power of the Force...

As for JJ Abrams new ships, I guess we will have to wait and see how much different they will be...if at all.  I am not saying that every STAR WARS LEGO set is/will be a fantastic investment, but it is nice to see the renewed interest in the theme and the prices slowing ticking upwards once again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of the problem is that many individuals attempt to save up for the big sets when in actuality the small sets can bring in a pretty solid return as well. I keep on thinking how the day Vader tie was $30 and now sells for$120. It's easy ship and was inexpensive to purchase. I know this is hindsight but the smaller sets should not be overlooked.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Brickpicker mobile app

• 3 weeks later...