Gotta listen to Ed Mack - he is right again (new SW movie impacts)

So more than a couple of times Ed Mack, site owner and Lego extraordinaire, has mentioned that he thinks the movies with renew and revitalize Star Wars and cause old and current sets to skyrocket, etc.

While this is an opinion held by a lot of people, I certainly think that there has been some skepticism as well because of all the re-releases, the possibility of the new movies being less than desirable, and the overproduction that seems to be staring Star Wars Lego in the face (over 40 sets every year).

I honestly have been a skeptic. In the Lego beginnings (I wasn't a part of it), Star Wars sets were all great investments. Lately, that hasn't been the case, even for what looked like pure winners like the 7964 Republic Frigate or the Tie Defender 8087, or the Wompa Cave 8089.

But star wars may be back guys. Maybe I am the only skeptic - feel free to pronouce how many of these sets coming up you thought were winners - but I didn't and have none or very few of them. Honestly, none of these sets are better than these above, but they are winners either way.

9490 Droid Escape

This may be the most confusing one to me. This set has C3po who hasn't been in a lot of sets, but is still not a premier char. IMO. It has a few exclusive figs, but really what else? The set is nothing... except that while it was deeply discounted and I passed a lot on clearance, its on its way doubling.

9492 Tie Fighter

This might be less surprising - but its still a thrice remade set and one that was everywhere forever and maybe a bit overpriced. I am sad to say I have none of these.

9494 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor

IMO an awful ship and one that has been remade over and over for no reason. Evidently that doesn't stop it from jumping up to almost doubling shortly after retirement. Still scratching my head.

Malevolence 9515

This one is just recently retired and starting to really grow. Its an awesome set and I actually thought this one might be a sleeper. I include it because it was stupidly-available everywhere at Walmarts for 60$. I should have bought many many more. Never would have thought this was a 200$ set - not even from any of the movies - but that seems to be where its headed.

7879 Hoth Echo Base

I compared this set several times to Mon Calimari. Its just not that impressive to me. But it has certainly done alright even with the TRU lingering effect.

The are many more that are starting to look good. Pre Vizsla, Battle of Hoth, Republic Striker, and several others are just now starting to be gone and are already back to up to their MSRP.

What does this mean? I am just dumb? (yes, but besides the point) Random blip? Just increased Lego popularity? Too much ignoring by resellers?

Well these gains by themselves aren't amazing by any means compared to some other themes. However, I really am starting to believe these sets are doing better because of the renewed interest. To me, this means that once the Star Wars fever hits again, the next couple of years of sets are more are going to tip towards the "Star wars sets are always good investments" thought that used to exist.

While I have largely ignored Star Wars sets that weren't UCS since I have been investing, I certainly can't do that again. And I wouldn't advise others to do the same either. Better and better games may be right around the corner.

The emperor is back, and he certainly has a new groove.

• Like 5

Star Wars droids show was a flop.  Look how those figures turned out.  Heh, much different of course but hardcore collectors want everything.  I know I want every Lego SW set for my personal collection, even if it was bantha poo doo set.

Same here. I'm a Lego SW collector, and I eventually want one of every SW set that Lego has made. It will take a while, but I will get there.

LOL...Thanks for the compliment.  I think this round of STAR WARS movies will have a tremendous impact on the Original Trilogy sets, both old and new.  I saw my Brickfolio increase over $5000 in one month just from those sets during the last update.  I'm not knocking the Clone movies, but they weren't in the same league IMO without "Darth Vader."   Now with rumors of Darth Vader appearing in the new film, imagine all the new set possibilities with Darth Vader still in the mix.  The new Darth Santa could be a major money maker this Fall into this and the next Holiday season.  

Now is the time to scour the eBay listings for older STAR WARS sets at great prices.  The old STAR WARS Technic sets are examples of sets that are damn cool, yet unappreciated.  Don't forget about the current UCS sets and larger non exclusives.  A year from now, they could be gold.   :money:

I don't believe that SW was ever really dead to begin with.

It was selective.  Some quality sets appreciated very well, but as a whole, the them under-performed.  It appears that many older sets are starting to appreciate once again.  I was having second thoughts for a long time on whether I should have sold many of my older SW sets when they plateaued, but the prospects of the new movies made my decision look like the correct one at the moment.  I'm hoping the new growth continues.

• Like 1

It was selective.  Some quality sets appreciated very well, but as a whole, the them under-performed.  It appears that many older sets are starting to appreciate once again.  I was having second thoughts for a long time on whether I should have sold many of my older SW sets when they plateaued, but the prospects of the new movies made my decision look like the correct one at the moment.  I'm hoping the new growth continues.

Yes, I hope that it continues (and that the Rebels show is a hit too).

I still think there were a number of factors that made the numbers look worse that they really were (More sale prices on the SW sets than previous years, lower actual cost to purchase, which can make the CAGR look bad).

Yes, I hope that it continues (and that the Rebels show is a hit too).

I still think there were a number of factors that made the numbers look worse that they really were (More sale prices on the SW sets than previous years, lower actual cost to purchase, which can make the CAGR look bad).

Yes, with any large theme, the overall CAGR is somewhat skewed and deceptive.  There are so many STAR WARS sets that some poor performers can mask the good ones if one is looking at the whole theme CAGR.  On the other hand, if a small theme has a few outstanding sets, it can weigh the theme too heavily towards the higher CAGR range.

Interesting post. I must admit I was/am in the same boats as you. I have very few SW sets. They look overproduced/over remade along with a slight dip in popularity. I wonder if a lot of investors felt this way and therefore a lot of these sets are simply underweighted on the reseller market.

I will make it a point to start paying more attention to the theme and pick up some sets. I don't even have an R2 yet and that set will be gold someday.

Interesting post. I must admit I was/am in the same boats as you. I have very few SW sets. They look overproduced/over remade along with a slight dip in popularity. I wonder if a lot of investors felt this way and therefore a lot of these sets are simply underweighted on the reseller market.

I will make it a point to start paying more attention to the theme and pick up some sets. I don't even have an R2 yet and that set will be gold someday.

And it was tougher to figure out which one was a winner so it was safer to mostly disregard the theme besides the big sets.

All of a sudden the gunship, ATTE, and Sail Barge are really looking good to me.

Guess I'll wait to sell my UCS Falcon. :-)

Nah, if it is new mint sealed, you want to work out something with me in trade section.

Actually I am really nervous about acquiring one, I know a new UCS Falcon will not be the same, but reading all the buzz on the internet, it really sounds like they are making another UCS falcon for next year.