Gotta listen to Ed Mack - he is right again (new SW movie impacts)

Nice post OP - blog worthy. I agree - I have been taking a second look at the ones you mentioned, as well as 10215. The Malevolence has really surprised me. The only recent SW I had been buying were SSD, Death Star, R2, MF, Jabba Palace, and Rancor. I have defintely been upping my buying in this theme lately. I still don't see anything in the winter 2014 line worth investing in tho (too early to buy even if there were, but still)

So more than a couple of times Ed Mack, site owner and Lego extraordinaire, has mentioned that he thinks the movies with renew and revitalize Star Wars and cause old and current sets to skyrocket, etc.

While this is an opinion held by a lot of people, I certainly think that there has been some skepticism as well because of all the re-releases, the possibility of the new movies being less than desirable, and the overproduction that seems to be staring Star Wars Lego in the face (over 40 sets every year).

I honestly have been a skeptic. In the Lego beginnings (I wasn't a part of it), Star Wars sets were all great investments. Lately, that hasn't been the case, even for what looked like pure winners like the 7964 Republic Frigate or the Tie Defender 8087, or the Wompa Cave 8089.

But star wars may be back guys. Maybe I am the only skeptic - feel free to pronouce how many of these sets coming up you thought were winners - but I didn't and have none or very few of them. Honestly, none of these sets are better than these above, but they are winners either way.

9490 Droid Escape

This may be the most confusing one to me. This set has C3po who hasn't been in a lot of sets, but is still not a premier char. IMO. It has a few exclusive figs, but really what else? The set is nothing... except that while it was deeply discounted and I passed a lot on clearance, its on its way doubling.

9492 Tie Fighter

This might be less surprising - but its still a thrice remade set and one that was everywhere forever and maybe a bit overpriced. I am sad to say I have none of these.

9494 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor

IMO an awful ship and one that has been remade over and over for no reason. Evidently that doesn't stop it from jumping up to almost doubling shortly after retirement. Still scratching my head.

Malevolence 9515

This one is just recently retired and starting to really grow. Its an awesome set and I actually thought this one might be a sleeper. I include it because it was stupidly-available everywhere at Walmarts for 60$. I should have bought many many more. Never would have thought this was a 200$ set - not even from any of the movies - but that seems to be where its headed.

7879 Hoth Echo Base

I compared this set several times to Mon Calimari. Its just not that impressive to me. But it has certainly done alright even with the TRU lingering effect.

The are many more that are starting to look good. Pre Vizsla, Battle of Hoth, Republic Striker, and several others are just now starting to be gone and are already back to up to their MSRP.

What does this mean? I am just dumb? (yes, but besides the point) Random blip? Just increased Lego popularity? Too much ignoring by resellers?

Well these gains by themselves aren't amazing by any means compared to some other themes. However, I really am starting to believe these sets are doing better because of the renewed interest. To me, this means that once the Star Wars fever hits again, the next couple of years of sets are more are going to tip towards the "Star wars sets are always good investments" thought that used to exist.

While I have largely ignored Star Wars sets that weren't UCS since I have been investing, I certainly can't do that again. And I wouldn't advise others to do the same either. Better and better games may be right around the corner.

The emperor is back, and he certainly has a new groove.

Both Droid Escape and Anakin's Jedi Interceptor were no-brainers for me.  Droid Escape because of the low price point and nice mix of classic minifigures.  Anakin's Jedi Interceptor because it was a Target exclusive and had a nice mix of minifigures.  Only mistake that I made with these two was waiting too late to begin buying them. 

9492 Tie Fighter

This might be less surprising - but its still a thrice remade set and one that was everywhere forever and maybe a bit overpriced. I am sad to say I have none of these.

That was the second version and first remake of the classic TIE Fighter. There is my nitpick of the day. :P It was overpriced same as the X-Wing out the same year but I was glad to find the last two TIE Fighters on sale for $35 at Walmart and the one X-Wing for $17 at Target was phenomenal.

I believe the OT trilogy sets are the most collectible among all the SW lego sets and with the new movies coming out, Lego will concentrate mostly on creating sets from those movies and not focus on the OT as much. So even though Jaba's Palace and Rancor Pit are remakes, I was thinking about buying at least one of each. The new Ewok Village has never been released before and probably will not be released for a long time, so maybe two of those? Any other new OT sets or any SW sets for the matter worth investing in before the movies come out?

Lego will concentrate mostly on creating sets from those movies and not focus on the OT as much. 

Don't think so. OT will always be a big seller. They did not stop producing OT when the new movies came out. That move would be equivalent to murdering the cash cow with exceptional gore and brutality.

• 2 weeks later...

As a big Star Wars fan, I have some other collectibles that I plan on selling, but not until at least a year from now when the new movie hype is in full swing.  I expect good returns from the theme overall, but I am also wary of the frequent revisits that LEGO is prone to and the new sets tied into the movie which is what people will be looking to spend their money on first and foremost.  

I honestly have been a skeptic. In the Lego beginnings (I wasn't a part of it), Star Wars sets were all great investments. Lately, that hasn't been the case, even for what looked like pure winners like the 7964 Republic Frigate or the Tie Defender 8087, or the Wompa Cave 8089.

I just have to throw my 2 cents in, the wompa cave is the only surprise on that list.  Most SW fans don't even know there was a Tie defender unless you read the EU or played the early X-wing games. I think the republic frigate and the malevolence in the long term will be very stagnent. They were only populorized on the Clone Wars show which is now cancled so there will be little to zero growth.  Especially the Malevolence since it was only in two episodes of the show and it shows because this months growth was only .04%   rant over

I just have to throw my 2 cents in, the wompa cave is the only surprise on that list.  Most SW fans don't even know there was a Tie defender unless you read the EU or played the early X-wing games. I think the republic frigate and the malevolence in the long term will be very stagnent. They were only populorized on the Clone Wars show which is now cancled so there will be little to zero growth.  Especially the Malevolence since it was only in two episodes of the show and it shows because this months growth was only .04%   rant over

Since the Malevolence has pretty much doubled in the last year (all of which took place after the Clone Wars was canceled) - your statement that there will be little to zero growth (without visibility), just doesn't hold true - Clearly, this set is a winner. 

Since the Malevolence has pretty much doubled in the last year (all of which took place after the Clone Wars was canceled) - your statement that there will be little to zero growth (without visibility), just doesn't hold true - Clearly, this set is a winner.

Doubled in growth? I don't know if ur looking at the same thing I am but msrp is 119 and current value is 145. That's only a 10% growth. Last time I checked we didn't start counting below msrp as growth.

Doubled in growth? I don't know if ur looking at the same thing I am but msrp is 119 and current value is 145. That's only a 10% growth. Last time I checked we didn't start counting below msrp as growth.

Gain over the last year - if your going to look at charts for 1 month, you can't disregard the 12 month gain. 

Mine doubled from the May the Fourth sale.

I wish I had bought a couple Hoth Echo Bases.  The Brickshow advocated for them, but when I came here everyone was down on them.  Would have been a better investment than the VC.

Gain over the last year - if your going to look at charts for 1 month, you can't disregard the 12 month gain. 

Keep in mind Clone Wars technically only just ended when the last half season was put on Netflix early this year. In fact, the wide availability of the entire series in this way may result in a nice bounce in future.

Mine doubled from the May the Fourth sale.

I wish I had bought a couple Hoth Echo Bases.  The Brickshow advocated for them, but when I came here everyone was down on them.  Would have been a better investment than the VC.

Many older and large STAR WARS sets will find a new life over the next year.  I really never had a chance to buy too many Malevolence(s) because I fell asleep(I'm a dummy), but if it's large and STAR WARS is on the box, it will sell pretty well over the next year and a half...at least.

Many older and large STAR WARS sets will find a new life over the next year.  I really never had a chance to buy too many Malevolence(s) because I fell asleep(I'm a dummy), but if it's large and STAR WARS is on the box, it will sell pretty well over the next year and a half...at least.

Another plus for this set is that it is most unlikely that we will ever see a Malevolence II

I had time to place one order for the Malevolence before they went out of stock (within minutes) during the LEGO Shop at Home sale in April.  Unless you had the foresight to buy them up when Walmart and Target clearanced them, I don't think many investors believed this set would do well and very few were able to order more than one at the end of the line.  It was definitely given a boost by disappearing so fast from the LEGO website.

I had time to place 1 order for the Malevolence before they went out of stock (within minutes) during the S@H sale in April .  Unless you had the foresight to buy them up when Walmart and Target clearanced them, I don't think many investors believed this set would do well and it was definitely given a boost by disappearing so fast from the LEGO website.

They must've had very few on May 1.  Several folks had Malevolence orders submitted, but there were many cancellations.